2019 FINA World Championships

Lausanne (SUI), October 27, 2012 – The National Federations of China, Japan and Korea (in all cases, cities to be confirmed) have expressed their intention to be involved in the bid process for the organisation of the 2019 FINA World Championships, and eventually for the 2021 edition.

The next steps concerning these bids are:

- January 16, 2013: Meeting to take place between FINA and interested National Federations/Cities in Lausanne. FINA will provide the interested NF’s and Cities with general information, background and details of the FINA World Championships and the Bid Process.

- April 4, 2013: NF’s/Cities to submit their Formal Bid to FINA.

- July 19, 2013: Presentation of Bid by each NF/City to the FINA Bureau at a meeting to be held during the 15th FINA World Championships in Barcelona (ESP); followed by the FINA Bureau voting and awarding the 18th FINA World Championships 2019, and eventually the 19th edition in 2021.

Before 2019 and 2021, the 15th FINA World Championships will take place in Barcelona (ESP) from July 19-August 4, 2013, while the 16th and 17th edition will take place respectively in Kazan (RUS) in 2015 and Guadalajara (MEX) in 2017.

FINA

Well, Oz has already hosted them three times (Perth X 2, and Melbourne once). Fair enough to let others have a go, and I'm sure we'll host again often enough in the future.

Europe is hosting in 2015 and the Americas in 2017. Leaving Australia and Africa (which I believe doesn;t have a facility to host yet) Asia is the only option. Maybe 2021 London decides to bid. I think if Tokyo pulls it off for 2019 it will be a huge boost for their 2020 Olympic bid.

Is bidding still open for 2021? That's not quite clear to me. If not, then we'll have two WCHs in Asia in a row -- which is strange and annoying, but probably shows that the focus in the world of sports (and especially sports marketing) shifts more and more to Asia and the Arab world.

Is bidding still open for 2021? That's not quite clear to me. If not, then we'll have two WCHs in Asia in a row -- which is strange and annoying, but probably shows that the focus in the world of sports (and especially sports marketing) shifts more and more to Asia and the Arab world.

Only for 2019. I think FINA wanted bids for both but considering only bids came from Asia only 2019 will be awarded.

Not Asia annymore! Please... why not Hamburg or somwhere else in Western Europe? Sydney will be great too.

I wonder why doesn't the US builds up something temporary... pherhaps it may be used for a future olympic bid.

• 7 months later...
Julio Maglione’s reelection and host cities in 2019 and 2021: main topics of FINA Bureau Meeting in Barcelona
BCN2013 - 2013/06/28 12:48
The importance of the 15th FINA World Championships Barcelona 2013 is becoming more obvious as the major sporting event is coming closer. During the championships, the FINA Bureau Meeting will be held in the Catalan capital, where important technical and organizational decisions will be made. Topics on the agenda include the reelection of FINA President Julio Maglione as well as the designation of future host cities of the FINA World Championships in 2019 and 2021
BCN2013_210213FotoJorgeAndreuC99H3348.v1

© RFEN 2011 - All rights reserved

Located very close to the Barcelona 2013 competition venues, the Hotel Fira Palace will host the FINA Bureau Meeting from 17 to 26 July. On 19 July, the day of the Barcelona 2013 Opening Ceremony, FINA members will inspect the bids of three cities for the 2019 and 2021 FINA World Championships and will announce their decision.
The FINA Congress will announce important news on 26 July with the election of the president. Current president Maglione of Uruguay is the only candidate and will be reelected this summer to win four more years as FINA president.

• 3 weeks later...
- The consolidation and stability of the FINA calendar: in Barcelona, FINA will decide on the hosts of the 2019 and 2021 FINA World Championships, for which interest has been received from Gwangju (KOR), Budapest (HUN), Baku (AZE) and the United Arab Emirates;

FINA

The decision will be today

glad for Budapest, about Gwandju this is interesting

Gwangju to host 2019 FINA World Championships despite bid document forgery claims against Mayor

July 19 - The South Korean city of Gwangju has been awarded the right to host the 2019 International Aquatics Federation (FINA) World Championships despite news that the city's Mayor Kang Un-tae is facing criminal charges for allegedly forging the signatures of key officials in a bid document.

Kang, who also serves as co-chairman of the Gwangju 2015 Summer Universiade Organising Committee, has been accused of faking the signatures of both former Prime Minister Kim Hwang-sik and former Culture Minister Choe Kwang-sik in a document which served as a financial guarantee from the Government for the hosting of the aquatics showpiece event.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/sports/summer/aquatics/1015152-gwangju-to-host-2019-fina-world-championships-despite-bid-document-forgery-claims-against-mayor

I wonder why doesn't the US builds up something temporary... pherhaps it may be used for a future olympic bid.

Tulsa, Vegas and Minneapolis are NOT interested in the small stuff. They was born for GREATER things!!

Indeed, good question. Well, the U.S. federation (or Indianapolis) should take the lead. If they're not interested in pursuing it, then they can't invite US cities to bid for it. I think it's also the onerous demands of the int'l federation -- probably like so many luxury hotel rooms and a TV contract. The year before an Olympic Games would be great. It would take at least 4 venues + great open-water settings. I think Reno could do it. Oh wait...wrong season.

All it takes is an arena and a small sized (5,000) pool to host the world championships and a nearby lake. (Off course other things but in terms of venues that is what is needed).

uhmmm...

- 3 pools (long one; one for synchro and diving; one for water polo)

- a clean lake or waterway

- some 1,500 hotel rooms (dining halls)

- a media center (I imagine a few hundred hotel rooms for the press)

- a few hundred volunteers

- standby medical facilities and doping lab

- several hundred security

and a TV contract to pay for some of the above.

Watch 15th FINA World Championships Barcelona 2013 Live Streaming

CLICK TO START WATCHING LIVE HD

http://tinyurl.com/15th-FINA-World-Live

Tournament Info:
Tournament: 15th Fina World Championships
Date: Daily, starting on Saturday July 20, 2013 – until August 4, 2013
Time: 24:00 CEST or (GMT + 2:00)
15th FINA World Championships 2013 Events:
Swimming, Diving, Water Polo, Synchro, Open Water & High Diving.

Don’t Miss The Excitement of Opening Ceremony of 15th FINA World Championships 2013-Barcelona & Whole Tournament Live Action

Anybody watch the Ceremony? Will it seal or deny Madrid's victory??

Good ceremony, but Madrid's victory isn't sealed since Catalonia always has issues with Spain :lol:

Damn you Chineese, hosted 2011 and want 2019. Jesus! :lol: Budapest for the win!

Archived