129th IOC Session: Live Blog

I had been one of the judges - it was really a challenge to evaluate the totally different bids...

All bids had their strengths and weaknesses - and it was really a hard job to find a way to give them points...

I made two different excel tables - one for design and one for the bid - I weighted the different categories, which paul gave us and finally I made an overall ranking...

I don't want to go into details - I just want to say that all entries had really they strengths and everybody did a great job!!!

I also wanted to say that I was a judge in the competition and all bids were excellent and all had strengths and weaknesses. It took quite a while to evaluate each bid and I used an excel table as well to rank my choices.

I want to congratulate Berlin and all the other cities for the graet job putting their bids together.

Also thank you to paul92 for your effort running the competition.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations Berlin! And congratulations to all the other bidding cities. I'll echo the others, yes, it was an honour to evaluate the files, even if it was difficult to weigh up that equation between the actual plan and the presentations.I'm quite glad it went to one of our newer members, from the class of 2012, though!

Interesting now to find out who my fellow judges were - I knew about Athensfan, of course, and even had some PM discussions with him about it (don't worry, nothing sinister and nothing that affected any voting). I knew CAF was judging as well.

Good job Paul - every comp is a learning experience - there's always something you find out you can do differently next time.

Many congratulations to Berlin! It was a high-quality bid, from which I have learnt quite a bit. Especially the legacy plans were very impressive and would have gotten my vote as well. May I also make a special note of the Santiago bid, which was incredibly detailed, well-considered and technically excellent. All the competitors deserve our gratitude for making this an excellent and real race. Thinking back to the Evaluation Reports, there are things I can definitely learn - and I shall use the constructive criticism to deliver the best product next time around.

My thanks also go to the judges who sacrificed their time for this contest. It's a thankless task, as you had to balance the competitive demands of individual Candidate Cities. So, my respect for that.

To Paul: Thank you for creating this contest in the first place and providing an innovative take on the announcement of the final results. Whilst aspects of the organization of future contests will no doubt benefit from reflection and hindsight, this competition was worthy of attention of our forum. I look forward to even more valuable contributions from you, in this and other fields within this community - no doubt, a sentiment shared by everyone else.

I'm already looking forward to the next competition!

I was a judge during this contest and it was truly a pleasure to judge the high quality bids. All entries did a spectacular job and congrats to Berlin for pulling it off!

I would also like to thank Paul on behalf of the judges for putting in all the effort to run a competition!

Well done everyone!

and just a few comments about comps in general and this one in particular. I have to give props to Paul for managing to get a bid plan comp going, and to get a good seven finalists for it. It's always easy to get people to nominate their interest in doing a bid, but experience here is that a lot of people underestimate just how much work such bids take, and we're often lucky if we only have two to choose from at the end. So in that, I guess it should be judged a success.

To me, the trouble with bid plan or bid book comps is that there's a very wide discrepancy in what people expect from them. Is it about the plan itself? Or is it about presentation? Even in comps like Lord David's this year, which specifically set out to be technical plan comps, the responses are very varied – LD himself said some of the final bids were not what he was expecting or after. Paul92 tried to bridge this and do both, but I do know some of us judges had a bit of difficulty in figuring out how to weigh up the technical and the graphical/presentation aspects against each other, and the bids themselves reflected this diversity of approaches as well.

The other aspect is the voting. Personally, I like voting to be as wide open to everyone as possible, with anyone who wants to participate being able to, even if by just voting in the final polls. It just gets everyone involved and, IMO at least, can lead to some really exciting nail-biting poll countdowns and keeps things transparent. Sure, some people might just vote for their favourite countries or friends, but IMO that's not so far off how the IOC operates. Anyway, I think the majority of us here try to be fair and considered when we vote in the comps. Also, I suppose I'm just instinctively against an elite, appointed electoral college or committee-type voting. That said, it was definitely worth a try by Paul to use the committee approach this one - there's no one-size-fits-all template for how comps and voting should be conducted and maybe there is merit to the notion that for bid plan contests, some committee-type evaluation should be included. Anyway, that's for the next bid plan comp organiser to consider.

I had been thinking of running another annual bid logo comp again over December-early January. Anyone interested?

Great work everyone! Awesome competition! A great result for all should be proud. Congratulations to Berlin, an awesome bid in a spectacular country!

I humbly apologize for the Brisbane times who said it was "outrageous mate" they have also welcomed the Berlin win :P

Brisbane are glad to have had the opportunity in this awesome competition and welcome our one vote.

See you in 2028 as Doha would say ;)

I had been thinking of running another annual bid logo comp again over December-early January. Anyone interested?

Definitely interested. Will have much time to be able to work on it except my inkscape skills still suck

If it's all about the logo, probably not.

I'm pretty confident that other than the Logo, Santiago was a very strong bid. I don't know if it was the strongest, but I'm pretty proud of it. I actually like the logo too, but I fully understand if others don't. I don't think I explained the moveability well enough - it is meant to be a fully moveable and active logo rather than a flat stamp - but I am happy to conceive that it was far from the best.

We all put our efforts in to different areas, and the judges selected a very worthy winner, and I would certainly have voted for Berlin if I wasn't a competitor. I don't mean to sound bitter, because I'm not, but I am a bit annoyed that either I got the point of the competition wrong, or I focussed my energy in the wrong way.

*concede, and conceive whilst I'm at it :D

what is the bad effect by having competition within a short period of time?doesnt need to be in a big scale or great prizes,just a simple competition that can make this thread still continuing live and exciting while waiting for the larger competition scale like bid book,annual logo competition etc :)..

I offer my sincere congratulations to Cody. Very nice job.

Thank you to those of you who were supportive of my sincere questions and my desire to further a fair and fun competition. My intent was always to understand, to clarify and to enjoy.

I do believe the procedures of this competition were deeply flawed throughout. I feel personally attacked and wrongly chastised by Paul. I have no desire to turn this into an ongoing debate, and will post nothing further on this subject. However, I will take this last opportunity to say to Paul that I don't expect an apology, but I also don't believe one would go amiss.

As a side note, I am disappointed to see that some people who voice considerable criticism privately offer nothing but praise publicly.

Finally, Asimanggo and Olympic Fan Darcy, with some passion, you made it very clear you believed my involvement in the competition was biased against you and favored Delhi. The publication of my comments reveals your understanding to be inaccurate. I have not heard from you since I posted my comments. All I can say is I would not have voted either of you out first.

I for one am happy to close the books on this competition.

may i know what is the rational of limiting only a few contest within a year?just wondering?is it a rules and why?

Just to help you, to answer your question bro :), not all the member here is a college student, a lot of us have work to do in the real world, we need to focus to our live in the real world too, if we have many competition, this kind of member -who doesn't have a lot of time to do a fictional competition- will become less enthusiastic, that will make the competition become less competitive :) do you ever wonder why the world cup held every 4 years ? not every year or 2 years ? That also happen in this case, the less the competition, we could hope a better output

so this forum should only be active once in a while,perhaps every 4 years so that to make sure this forum is more exciting and the output maybe will be better?

Don't know whether my english is soooo bad, or you just simply couldn't get the point :), I made a world cup illustration, that doesn't mean that the competition should be held every 4 years, that's just an illustration bud :).... the point is, why we held the competition just twice a year because, not everybody have a lot of spare time like you do, so if we held it just twice in a year, we could hope that the best competitor could enter the competition, if we try -let's say- held a competition every 2 months or 3 months, that will make the less excitement and the best competitor would be bored, and the competition level will be declining... get the point bro ? but it's not forbidden for everyone here to try to organize a competition, maybe you could try to start to organize a competition here, and see how the enthusiasm :)

"you ever wonder why the world cup held every 4 years" yeah that what i think, thats why we have another sport like commonwealth games,asian games,summer n winter,indoor games.youth games...same with this situation, varieties of competition,logo design,bidbook,mascot..not same everytime,so it will less boring

Archived