Sochi 2014 - Venues Updates Gallery

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's 2005 vs late 2013 (I hope it can be enlarged to its original size!)

Okay, another tip Tony. If you're commenting on pics, no need to hit the quote button and repost all those pics again - especially if it's a long series of hi-res pics. Some people have older tech or

Well, depends. The apline skiers seemed okay with the test event two years ago (some grumbling about the downhill course, but a lot of it was with the setup rather than the hill, and that's out of the

Is it only me or is it really still something special to see the Star-Spangled Banner at an Olympic venue in Russia? OK, I could say that as well about the German flag and many other Western flags, but to see the American flag there is still something special, bearing in mind that they were the inventors of the 1980 Olympic boycott.

• Like 2

Funny that you mention that - because it is twice now that I've read that Sochi was scoped as a potential site for a second EuroDisney. Makes sense, the mild climate and Russian new money and a Disney park are quite a good fit. There are also rumours of one in Kalingrad.

Highly doubt one will ever be constructed. Disney has too many inner-problems with My Magic + in their US parks. Also focused on Shanghai Disneyland, to make things worse Euro Disneyland (now DL Paris) is a financial failure, Spain is the only likely place Disney would build another Euro resort (to compete with Universal). Many rumors though coming out from Australia about a possible Melbourne or Sydney resort.

Although Sochi would be nice too, there have been many talks with Russia in recent years; although most of us Disney fans think it concerns this: Concept02-web.jpghkdl18-web.jpg

An old '90's Russian Pavilion planned for the US' Epcot, It began planning in the late eighties and early nighties until the USSR collapsed. Jim Hill Media, a reliable Disney insider hinted last year that the old plans were being dusted off and in the Blue Sky phase (early planning in the Disney world).

Sorry for my little spiel, I'm a Disney nerd.

Coastal Olympic Village - Sochi

1618560_648232908545787_2052407980_n.jpg

1560506_648232888545789_1894581608_n.jpg

1660628_648232828545795_2002443440_n.jpg

Mountain Olympic Village - Krasnaya Polyana

1661702_648232588545819_1515237370_n.jpg

1625648_648232268545851_645444355_n.jpg

1798746_648232961879115_587619840_n.jpg

1545083_648232271879184_1096712352_n.jpg

The Mountain Village looks very nice. The Coastal Village is not too bad. Overall, great look. My favourite photo of the lot has to be the 3rd one, with the Olympic Rings. Just a great setting.

TONY why the F*CK DO YOU KEEP QUOTING POSTS WITH PICTURES.

STOP.

I know. I realised what I done after I posted. Won't happen again. Sorry.

The Americans did not originate the 1980 boycott. That would have been Saudi Arabia who announced their pullout two weeks before the peanut farmer in the White House thought it would be a cool idea and might actually make him look like her knew what he was doing.

I meant him, of course.

Have to say the mountain village does look gorgeous. At least the pictures we are seeing are!

The mountains around Sochi are gorgeous in general. With the exception of the ski jumping venue (which I find unbearably ugly) every skiing venue has a lot of charm.

The Americans did not originate the 1980 boycott. That would have been Saudi Arabia who announced their pullout two weeks before the peanut farmer in the White House thought it would be a cool idea and might actually make him look like her knew what he was doing.

I meant him, of course.

It was (inevitably) slightly more subtle than that. The idea may or may not have been broached by West German ambassador Rolf Pauls (when news got out, his government officially denied it, of course) at a NATO meeting on 20 December 1979, as the Afghanistan invasion was being prepared. Jimmy Carter then, on 4 January 1980, made a speech in the language of diplomacy:

"Although the United States would prefer not to withdraw from the Olympic games scheduled in Moscow this summer, the Soviet Union must realize that its continued aggressive actions will endanger both the participation of athletes and the travel to Moscow by spectators who would normally wish to attend the Olympic games. "

The Saudis were indeed the first to pull out, in sympathy with fellow-Muslims, a couple of days after Carter's speech- but the House of Saud probably had more direct control over the nation's Olympic athletes than most other governments would.

Back on topic :)

If anyone's interested, Google's street view has got a couple little spots within the park where you can look around. Taken since the cauldron was installed and the hangars had their look applied to them. There's one spot outside Adler Arena, And one more outside Bolshoi Ice Palace. In addition, it's interesting to look at the park from the roads outside it, before Fischt was finished.

I like the white seating. Doesn't look too snowy though does it?

If you mean the hill in the middle distance, it looks as if it has deciduous woodland most of the way up, then scrub around the top, so the snow will be mostly on the ground between the bushes. There was fresh snow at Roza Khutor last night, so things aren't going too badly....

... yet.

Highly doubt one will ever be constructed. Disney has too many inner-problems with My Magic + in their US parks. Also focused on Shanghai Disneyland, to make things worse Euro Disneyland (now DL Paris) is a financial failure, Spain is the only likely place Disney would build another Euro resort (to compete with Universal). Many rumors though coming out from Australia about a possible Melbourne or Sydney resort.

hkdl18-web.jpg

An old '90's Russian Pavilion planned for the US' Epcot, It began planning in the late eighties and early nighties until the USSR collapsed. Jim Hill Media, a reliable Disney insider hinted last year that the old plans were being dusted off and in the Blue Sky phase (early planning in the Disney world).

Sorry for my little spiel, I'm a Disney nerd.

1st time I have seen a rendering for a Russian pavilion at EPCOT. I always felt that three of the BRICs, (Brazil, Russia and India) needed a presence at EPCOT to make it a truly int'l setting. (And that little MOrocco is an aberration...but of course, it is the African rep.) If anything, it would be easier to have a partnership with a Russian entity to front a Russian pavilion in Florida. But I think WDW wants like a Department store to partner with; in order to fill the shelves with Russian-made merchandise.

Australia is just too small for a full-scale Disney park. BTW, Mr. Bernham, I just joined the Sherman Brothers page on FB.

Thats always been the reason cited for the idea of a "Disney: DownUnder" (apparently Disney owns that name). There was talk of an old WW2 airforce base on Melbourne's western outskirts being a site, and also around the theme park precinct on the Gold Coast - it could work there - much of the market there is leisure based (a lot like Florida) which attracts many families from Asia. There is no way a fullscale Disney park could work though, it would def be a watered down version of Anaheim and Orlando. More on the HK scale.