Sochi 2014 - Venues Updates Gallery

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's 2005 vs late 2013 (I hope it can be enlarged to its original size!)

Okay, another tip Tony. If you're commenting on pics, no need to hit the quote button and repost all those pics again - especially if it's a long series of hi-res pics. Some people have older tech or

Well, depends. The apline skiers seemed okay with the test event two years ago (some grumbling about the downhill course, but a lot of it was with the setup rather than the hill, and that's out of the

I don't know if this could be classed as a 'venue' but I came across this little jewel I thought I might share:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25830617

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't know what they are boasting about. Newfoundland already has double seaters...

DoubleDeckerToilet_zpsf8006b26.jpg

Can anyone find an aerial picture of the Sochi Olympic Park in 2007 before the venues were built? I'd love to see a "before and after" photo of Sochi from above, comparing with the Sochi of today.

I remember seeing one a few years back (well before I started on this site) and from memory it had a few industrial looking warehouses, a few houses and smallish farms on the site --- nothing particularly exciting.

• Like 1

Low and behold the next day after my request, Global News makes an article on the "then" and "now" of the Olympic Park. Thanks Leslie Young!

http://globalnews.ca/news/1105252/building-an-olympic-village-sochi-then-and-now/

I know Sochi wanted it compact, but I would've made the ring bigger to allow for some more green space in between the centerpiece and the circular walkway/venues.

What are we to make of this area just north-east of the main venues? A Great Patriotic War theme-park?

sochi-funfair.jpg

According to the pics I saw it looked pretty much like a Father Frost themed park.

Gosh, it really confirms my impression that this year's Winter Olympics take place in Disneyland. Only with the main difference that not Mickey Mouse is the chief honcho there, but a deeply closeted and therefore homophobic dictator.

Funny that you mention that - because it is twice now that I've read that Sochi was scoped as a potential site for a second EuroDisney. Makes sense, the mild climate and Russian new money and a Disney park are quite a good fit. There are also rumours of one in Kalingrad.

Never gonna happen. Disney has just recently rolled the dice on expanding into mainland China with Shanghai Disney due to open 2015/2016. There s rumours of them buying land near Xian as well. Further expansion of HK Disneyland is rumoured as well as a major overhaul of Tokyo Disney. I could see Universal Studios, Legoland or Warner Brothers Movieworld in Russia but I highly doubt Mickey and Co will move in.

• Like 1