Sochi 2014 - Venues Updates Gallery

world atlas

Upon closer inspection (at least from some of the more recent pics) the materials used in the landscaping, and in some of the venues, look somewhat cheap. At least - this certainly doesn't have a scratch on the beautiful work done on London's Park. I know Russia has spent big $$$ big a lot of the design here seems like knock-offs of some of the most lauded modern architecture of the last decade.

eg / The Bolshoy Ice Dome is just a rehashed, less striking Beijing Opera House.

For a park it's looking quite concrete - havent seen much evidence of interesting landscapingor features outside the venues. I think this is one of the problems with the idea of a park in the winter games. You can't have loads of soft ground (grass etc) because the winter weather will make it unmanageable with the amount of people who will walk on it. People will also not want to be wandering around and sitting outside if its very windy cold or rainy.

Unfortunately no much updates from Olympstroy since August :unsure:

And interestingly, although they recently posted the lovely pictures that world atlas just showed us yesterday, their aerial views of the whole site still haven't been updated since August (perhaps even more interestingly, Google Earth's coverage hasn't been updated since March).

PS: On the topic of yesterday's photos, is it also significant that none of them seems to show the Cauldron?

^^ I agree it looks somewhat strange at the exterior but I'm sure it will look out of this world in the inside when the stage is completed (btw, we stopped getting pics of the works inside since a couple of weeks so I guess they're advancing them now)

Also the stadium will look beautiful once that ugly temporary roof and hangar like structures are removed for the 2018 WC

PS: I guess the hangars are to make big structures enter the arena. Didn't they spoiled there would be Peter the Great era battleships in the ceremony?

11528718736_32309d10ea_c.jpg

0_1076e5_61b79384_XXL.jpg

• Like 1

That's indeed the most jumbled main stadium in Olympic history. I didn't even know that they built those hangars on both ends of the stadium. I wonder what the architects of the stadium say about that mess that destroys the original elegance of the stadium - during a time when that stadium will probably get the biggest global attention in its history (even the few World Cup matches in 2018 won't give the stadium itself such prominence, since World Cup stadia are rarely shown from the outside during the match broadcasts).

I also wonder why those hangars were even necessary - and why they weren't able to build some more underground storage or to hide the props in the "bowels" of the stadium, under the grandstands. But I'll guess we'll see in February why those monstrous hangars were necessary. They probably plan something really big there.

Why should they take the front one off? That hangar has to serve some ceremonial purpose, too - otherwise it wouldn't be such an enclosed, secretive building. They most probably don't need simply to store construction material for the construction of the stage or other architectonical parts of the stadium/the ceremony.

Correction: They most probably don't need it simply to store construction material for the construction of the stage or other architectonical parts of the stadium/the ceremony.

What a mess! Legacy-mode can't come soon enough! :ph34r::ph34r:

0_1076d7_538ef625_XXL.jpg

They've got to take down those hangers and the inflatable roof by Feb. 7. It would be a waste to put a stadium like this so close to the coast and then just cover it up. It seems the the Ruskies are keeping the details of the ceremonies uber top secret.

I think those features are there to stay, at least for the Olympics.

It is not really a waste, given that post-Games it will all be removed and it will forever have the cost visible, besides in mid winter it would hardly be a great spectacle. I think this stadium will look its best in 2018.

Hopefully, it will be a Masterpiece for the 2018 World Cup. Kazan Arena and St Petersburg Stadium both have blind spots.

I think those features are there to stay, at least for the Olympics.

It is not really a waste, given that post-Games it will all be removed and it will forever have the cost visible, besides in mid winter it would hardly be a great spectacle. I think this stadium will look its best in 2018.

Well they've got to at least remove the other hanger facing the Olympic Park so that the spectators will be able to see the cauldron. Other wise I think the ceremonies will be a little awkward to those inside the stadium.

Well they've got to at least remove the other hanger facing the Olympic Park so that the spectators will be able to see the cauldron. Other wise I think the ceremonies will be a little awkward to those inside the stadium.

It will show up on the jumbotron screens inside and they will see it when they exit. They're not going to be there for days.

Those large-hangar structures are processing for all the suspected 'gay' performers and spectators. They know it will be a large crowd so they are getting ready for it. ;)

Those large-hangar structures are processing for all the suspected 'gay' performers and spectators. They know it will be a large crowd so they are getting ready for it. ;)

You know Baron, if I was a betting man I would put my money on that.