Sochi 2014 - Venues Updates Gallery

world atlas

Wow!! Didn't realize it was that bad. I would be so embarrassed as host nation. This is what $50 billion gets you?

Those pics nearly make the worst of West Vancouver look good :/

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be the devils advocate, we don't really know the full context of those pictures. Looks like a new development to me. I dont think you can judge the entire Olympics based on a few, probably very selective, pictures.

Isn't the entire Olympic Park technically a 'new development' ?

Also, some of these pictures were taken less than 0.5 mile from the Stadium (and upon review, it looks like these were actually taken yesterday).

Granted, I think this will be kept away from most people, so it won't matter to visitors and TV viewers. Sochi residents, on the other hand...

Wow!! Didn't realize it was that bad. I would be so embarrassed as host nation. This is what $50 billion gets you?

It's notable that a lot of those pictures are taken on side-roads in the suburb of Rossiya, which is being developed as a resort. I wonder if all the roads are being paid for out of the $50 billion, or whether some developers of hotels and apartment complexes are making their own roads.

I really like the 2nd 3rd and 4th photo, with the Ice domes Olympic Rings in the background of the Cauldron. Nice photo's Rob.

Okay, another tip Tony. If you're commenting on pics, no need to hit the quote button and repost all those pics again - especially if it's a long series of hi-res pics. Some people have older tech or slower bandwidth and it can take ages to load-up, then just to see an update is a re-posting of the previous pics. It can be very annoying.

Interesting to see some of the hospitality houses for the first time. I think the big one is Russia house. Samsung look like they are using shipping crates? Bit like london's broadcast tower!

Medals plaza looks okay - but has anyone done a medals plaza as cool as salt lakes? Think that was my fave so far.

Those nighttime pictures are stunning. Even if the Olympic Park looks rather bleak at daytime, it seems to shine at night.

Interesting, too, that the cauldron can be lit in different colours. I wonder whether they will play with that during the Games or even during the opening ceremony.

And the more lighting sequence test pictures I see, it seems more and more realistic that it will be some sort of Firebird/Phoenix lighting sequence. I can't explain it really, those pics simply scream "Firebird!" at me. ;)

Ok so I know they have to test the cauldron but every picture I see it seems to be lit!!! Have we ever seen a cauldron tested so much during pre games?!

Between the cauldron tests and the dresas rehearsals, they'll have footage for an entire back-up version of the OC !

(I'm sure "dresas" means something in Georgian)

Archived