Sochi 2014 - Venues Updates Gallery

world atlas

It is a summer resort, after all. Will be curious to see how all that looks come the winter when everything is potentially covered in slush and snow

I don't know that the snow comes to the more coastal parts of Sochi city proper. That's its appeal; it's Russia's Riviera...so like the French Riviera in the winter.

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Olympstroy August Update

BLA_08_13_7.jpg

OP_08_13_4.jpg

OP_08_13_5.jpg

Sadly, those new pictures of the Olympic Park aren't hi-res enough. But it seems as if they are building something in the circular medal plaza area north of the Olympic Stadium. It could be the stage for the plaza, but since they are using a crane there apparently, could there be anything related to the cauldron?

That would explain why the "mouth" of the stadium towards the centre of the park is that big. It would have to be a MASSIVE cauldron, though, to provide it can be seen well from the stadium's seats when it's lit. :blink:

Yeah, that's where I always thought the cauldron might end up...becuz it's the very focal point of the 6 stadia there. I believe the nightly non-Gay Awards ceremonies will be there too. For the OC, they will have a smaller cauldron inside which would zip out or laser over to the big exterior one. The bowl-like inside of Fisht makes it difficult for the 40,000 to view a lighting in the Plaza.

That's an extremely long rehearsal period.

Not they way they do it in the Commie countries. The stunt card section of Moscow 1980 rehearsed for 6 months. Remember the "printing blocks" segment of Beijing? They rehearsed for TEN months. And starting October 1 doesn't mean they're rehearsing every day. It's probably the sections using the Bolshoi, the Opera and the major figure skating stars who probably live and teach mostly in the Moscow area.

Oh no all the fans are going are going to die of smoke inhalation inside that roofed stadium,

Just kidding, I thought I'd take some of our veteran members back to memories of somebody's ranting prior to Vancouver, :D

Oh no all the fans are going are going to die of smoke inhalation inside that roofed stadium,

Just kidding, I thought I'd take some of our veteran members back to memories of somebody's ranting prior to Vancouver, :D

OMG - and just think of what will happen with a naked flame inside ... kaboom!

I wonder if he's still a guest of the Mounties.

If they're going to do a frozen Beijing in the OC, they'd better get a move on, it doesn't look anywhere near done.

No. The side sections w/ the seats are done. It's only the Center section with the temp roof that looks like it's being finished. Today's Sept 1. All that scaffolding will be gone by Oct 30; and then they'll load the lights, the projectors...(if they haven't already done so with all that scaffolding, the flying equipment, etc. Altho I think most of the show lights would be hung from the permanent roofs.) Once that's all hooked up to the ceiling, then they'll load the ice rink. And rehearsals on the site w/ lights, etc., could start maybe as early as 2nd week December. But they are doing rehearsals in Moscow and one of the hockey rinks first.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived