Sochi 2014 - Venues Updates Gallery

world atlas

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sochi really seems to be the Beijing equivalent of a WOG. Should make for some pretty damn good TV.

Yep. I think the fact that the Olympic park is of such an immense scale and all the venues look top-notch (especially the Bolshoi palace) will make these games spectacular. The waterfront setting helps too.

Perhaps the city-cluster will lack snow but the mountain cluster should have that wintery feel.

These venues are beautiful ! And I believe this Olympic stadium will be my favorite arena ever, at least the render is stunning! And this unique design. It looks like a jewel/crystal/iceberg

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful Hockey dome indeed, probably the jewel of the crown alongside the Olympic Stadium (which I can't wait to see completed).

Btw what happened to that ring they were going to build at the center of the square? Is the plan still on or they'll ditch it?

Beautiful Hockey dome indeed, probably the jewel of the crown alongside the Olympic Stadium (which I can't wait to see completed).

Btw what happened to that ring they were going to build at the center of the square? Is the plan still on or they'll ditch it?

unfortunately it has been canceled .. I was looking forward for it :(
original design :
10911a.jpg
current design ( with F1 circuit ) :
Screen-shot-2012-08-19-at-2.56.51-PM.png
not sure if it will be the final look or we will see some more changes !

Gotta say, Sochi looks lovely, especially in the mountains. I still worry about the massive expense the Russian government is pumping into this though. Russia is only two decades away from having the citizens of Moscow in bread lines, ya know. Not a knock on Russia, just a legitimate concern about the economy if Sochi ends up a city of white elephants.

Gotta say, Sochi looks lovely, especially in the mountains. I still worry about the massive expense the Russian government is pumping into this though. Russia is only two decades away from having the citizens of Moscow in bread lines, ya know. Not a knock on Russia, just a legitimate concern about the economy if Sochi ends up a city of white elephants.

As opposed to the US, which some would say is only months away from bread lines? What an absurd suggestion. At this point, Russia is a wealthy, mineral rich nation, with non-marginal politics. I personally wouldn't want to live there, but in terms of stability I'd say the US is in a far more volatile position going into the 21st century.

As for white elephants, yes Sochi is building big, but Sochi's development isn't just about the 2014 Olympics, its also destined to become the events/convention/leisure tourism capital of far Eastern Europe/Central Asia. Its a Vegas, its a Dubai. Also, the city has a swagger a major international events lined up beyond 2014, including the permanent home of the Russian Grand Prix, and the 2018 World Cup. Sochi is no flash in the pan .

A few days ago, German TV channel ZDF reported on the preparations for the Sochi Games in Krasnaya Polyana, the mountain village hosting the snow events. They showed the splendid venues on the one hand side, and the difficulties for the common people in Krasnaya Polyana on the other hand side. For example: Although Gazprom is a main sponsor of the Sochi Games respectively the venue construction, many people in Krasnaya Polyana still don't have a gas supply to heat their homes. They showed a man who had to heat his apartment with a wood stove - just a few yards away from the ski jumps.

When even the people in the host localities themselves are forgotten, how must it be for Russians who don't live in the host region?

Of course the US and other industrial states have their problems and injustices, too - but I doubt that they would deal that carelessly even with people living close to the Olympic venues.

Rush to Finish Sochi 2014 Curling Arena

• 639335918.jpg

© RIA Novosti.

SOCHI, January 12 (R-Sport) - Workers are putting the finishing touches to the Sochi 2014 Olympic curling arena just four days before it hosts its first international test event, the head of the Russian Curling Federation told R-Sport on Sunday.

The Ice Cube Curling Center was supposed to be finished last month, but delays have left little room for error ahead of the start of the world wheelchair curling championships Wednesday.

“The arena is practically ready. Everything’s been built and now the systems are being fine-tuned,” Dmitry Svishchev said, but admitted preparations for the wheelchair world championships would be last-minute.

“On January 15 a commission from the World Curling Federation is coming to take over the facility. After that the preparation for the world wheelchair championships will start.”

The curling arena had been supposed to open with the Russian men’s championships last month, only for the delays to force that plan to be abandoned.

The Russian women’s championships could be moved there instead, Svishchev said.

Russia is a growing force in world curling, with the women’s team crowned European champions last month.

http://en.rsport.ru/olympics/20130112/639336155.html

A few days ago, German TV channel ZDF reported on the preparations for the Sochi Games in Krasnaya Polyana, the mountain village hosting the snow events. They showed the splendid venues on the one hand side, and the difficulties for the common people in Krasnaya Polyana on the other hand side. For example: Although Gazprom is a main sponsor of the Sochi Games respectively the venue construction, many people in Krasnaya Polyana still don't have a gas supply to heat their homes. They showed a man who had to heat his apartment with a wood stove - just a few yards away from the ski jumps.

When even the people in the host localities themselves are forgotten, how must it be for Russians who don't live in the host region?

Of course the US and other industrial states have their problems and injustices, too - but I doubt that they would deal that carelessly even with people living close to the Olympic venues.

It really feels like Beijing on ice - in the best and worst senses. I still can't get over the fact Beijing rerouted the water supply from an entire rural suburb to serve their Olympic complex. It's a completely different mindset.

That said, Olympic development has to stop somewhere, especially if you're going to use it to regenerate an area. There's always going to be a point not far from the development where you can find that contrast in wealth from the Olympics. That's certainly true of London.

But the contrast seems particularly stark and less defensible when we're talking about the basics of life such as heating and water vs the wild "look at me" extravegance of Sochi's and Beijing's venues.

Archived