Australia to Get New banknotes

Sir Rols

ROLS!!!!!!! :angry:

Why are Aussie $1 and $2 the wrong way around!!!!!

And are you going to downsize those enormous 'silver' coins!

ROLS!!!!!!! :angry:

And are you going to downsize those enormous 'silver' coins!

Dunno about the $1-$2 debate. I tried to find out last week, and couldn't find any definite or believable answer on the internet.

As to getting rid of the big silver coins - I think there's more chance we'll get rid of all cash, and go totally electronic transaction-based, before that happens.

Dunno about the $1-$2 debate. I tried to find out last week, and couldn't find any definite or believable answer on the internet.

As to getting rid of the big silver coins - I think there's more chance we'll get rid of all cash, and go totally electronic transaction-based, before that happens.

Yeah true...But not impossible...We still get people tring to fob off our old coins and aussie 20c, 10c and 5c even though its been five years since we did a mass change over. Only took a month.

Yeah true...But not impossible...We still get people tring to fob off our old coins and aussie 20c, 10c and 5c even though its been five years since we did a mass change over. Only took a month.

Well, I like your new ones:

New Zealand makes Hobbit coins legal tender

4306386-3x2-700x467.jpg

4306388-3x2-700x467.jpg

New Zealand will release commemorative Hobbit coins worth thousands of dollars ahead of next month's premier of director Peter Jackson's latest Tolkien epic.

The coins featuring characters such as Bilbo Baggins and Gandalf the wizard will be legal tender in the country, New Zealand Post said, although their face value will be only a fraction of the cost collectors will be expected to pay.

The most expensive, made from 28.3 grams of pure gold, will set Tolkien enthusiasts back NZ$3,695 ($3,020) but has a face value of just NZ$10, while the cheapest is a NZ$1 coin retailing for NZ$29.90.

The coins go on sale from November 1 and New Zealand Post said it expected strong international interest in the build up to the premiere of the first of the three Hobbit movies in Wellington on November 28.

Jackson, who was responsible for the Oscar-winning adaptation of Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings trilogy, announced earlier this year that he would make three films from The Hobbit book, rather than two as originally planned.

British actor Martin Freeman, from The Office, takes on the central role of Bilbo Baggins, who is swept into an epic quest to reclaim the lost Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor from the fearsome dragon Smaug.

Other big names appearing include Cate Blanchett, Ian McKellen, Barry Humphries, Stephen Fry, and Billy Connolly.

New Zealand enjoyed a huge tourism boom after the original trilogy and is hoping to repeat the success with the Hobbit movies, launching a campaign branding the country "100 per cent Middle Earth" to coincide with the premiere.

ABC

• 3 weeks later...

It doesn't look like the sizes are changing anytime soon ... but the $2 coins are going coloured!

Remembrance Day coin honours fallen Diggers

441812-remembrance-day-coin.jpg

THE first coloured coin ever produced by the Royal Australian Mint for general circulation will commemorate the sacrifice of Australians at war.

As Remembrance Day approaches the Deputy Prime Minister and Treasurer Wayne Swan launched the special $2 coin with a striking red poppy at its centre in Brisbane yesterday.

Just 500,000 of the unique coloured coins will be pressed and they will be distributed by RSL clubs nationwide as part of their annual red poppy appeal on November 11. The RSL will ask for a $10 donation for each of the collectable coins and will begin distributing them next week.

Mr Swan said the new coins honoured the sacrifices made by so many Australians.

"I hope that every time Australians pull this unique coin out of their pocket, they're reminded of the brave men and women who have done so much for our country,'' he said.

"My granddad fought in Monash's 3rd Division in the Somme and Flanders in the First World War and my father served in the Second World War in the RAAF, where he was shelled, bombed and attacked by enemy infantry.

Like his father, he saw friends killed and this is something he never forgot.''

Veteran Ewan Cameron from Townsville said the attractive and collectable coins were a unique and exciting way to mark the sacrifices of the nation's fighting men and women. "Remembrance Day means even more these days as we have so many young Australians serving around the world,'' Mr Cameron said.

The coins were designed by Aaron Baggio and the coloured version features the words Two Dollars and Remembrance with two small poppies bordering a bright red poppy superimposed over the words Lest We Forget and Remembrance Day.

Royal Australian Mint chief executive officer Ross MacDiarmid said the new coins would not go unnoticed around the world.

"Only one other country, Canada, has released coloured coins into circulation and the fact that we have added micro-lettering into the design showcases our world class innovative capabilities,'' Mr MacDiarmid said.

Herald Sun

Archived