Australia to Get New banknotes

Sir Rols

I was sure we used to have a old, old thread where we showed off the different banknotes in members' countries. Couldn't find it, so thought I'd start this:

Aust gets new notes, but Queen to stay

299871--100-note.jpg

300450--50-note.jpg

301628--20-note.jpg

301770--10-note.jpg

304620--5-note.jpg

Australia's banknotes are set for a high-tech upgrade but the Queen's place on the $5 bill is safe. In an effort to keep fraudsters on the back foot, the Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) is working to incorporate new anti-counterfeit technologies into the country's banknotes. But the RBA has ruled out making changes to many of the key features of the current notes, including colour and shape. The portraits which currently grace the currency - including Queen Elizabeth II on the $5 note, and Banjo Patterson on the $10 note - will also remain. Australia first introduced polymer banknotes, which the RBA helped develop, in 1988 as part of an effort to crack down on currency fraud. Work on the RBA's Next Generation Banknote Program started in 2007, though the bank says it will be several more years until the upgraded notes are issued.

The program has so far cost $9.3 million. "The upgraded banknotes will incorporate a number of new features that will mean Australia's banknotes will remain secure into the future," the RBA said in a statement. "(But) it is important that the new features are rigorously tested, durable, and effectively incorporated into the banknote designs." The RBA said it had selected a preferred banknote designer, reported to be Melbourne-based Garry Emery, to refine the banknotes ahead of their eventual release.

NineMSN

*waits for someone to post Canadian banknotes* ;)

I wonder how common polymer notes are internationally.

Must say, I found it odd handling American notes - they just feel like playmoney , and still do when we get them through at work. Certainly different having been used to handling the polymer notes we use here.

Re: Australian currency, always wondered why the $1 coins are larger than the $2???

Good question - I tried a quick Google search, and the most convincing explanation I found was that the $1 coin was well before the $2 one. By the time it became necessary to replace the $2 note with a coin, they didn't want to have one that was bigger - people already whine about the size of the 20 and 50 cent coins.

I wonder how common polymer notes are internationally.

Must say, I found it odd handling American notes - they just feel like playmoney , and still do when we get them through at work. Certainly different having been used to handling the polymer notes we use here.

Re: Australian currency, always wondered why the $1 coins are larger than the $2???

Ironically we are going through another currency change to polymer notes. Not nearly as nice as that Australian set though. Next note coming out is the $20 in November.

I think a lot of the European countries currencies feel like playmoney. Some of it is so thin and untextured. Its a little different when they don't use cotton rage like they do/did in North America.

Quite seriously, Steve Irwin seems to be topping all the polls of who people want on a note!

:wacko:

What? No Kylie or Dame Edna?? :o;)

In truth I know very few famous Australians. It was interesting read about those people.

Depends on what you mean as "famous" .....

Doubt that 99.95% of the Australian population would've ever heard of these people on the banknotes

Monash maybe if you are Victorian ... as he has a university, a road, hospital & local council named after him, but even then doubt most would know of what the man did himself

We have historical figures other than Prime Ministers on our banknotes. Something which irks me about the Canadian ones. They shouldn't have to follow the US and should ideally show famous historical Canadians, both from the English sphere and French sphere. As well as general well known historical Canadians.

Perhaps the likes of Jacques Cartier and Terry Fox, just to name a few.

Maybe they need to be dead. Which leaves out Warnie, but leaves scope for Michael Hutchence.

Seriously, though. I think Don Bradman would be appropriate. Though maybe we need a $99.94 note for him.

How about the musical greats Joan Sutherland and Nellie Melba and the poet Dorothea McKellar and why not Banjo Patterson, author of Australia's most iconic song and unofficial anthem, 'Waltzing Matilda' ? :)

How about the musical greats Joan Sutherland and Nellie Melba and the poet Dorothea McKellar and why not Banjo Patterson, author of Australia's most iconic song and unofficial anthem, 'Waltzing Matilda' ? :)

We've had Nellie melba on one of our past $50 notes. And we might not have Banjo, but we do have Henry Lawson who wrote our most popular poem, The Man From Snowy River.

She's a fictional character and shouldn't be able to qualify for a spot on any official banknote, no matter how popular she is/was.

Humphries could qualify, but I doubt anyone from the arts (other than musical/singing greats) would ever grace any future Australian banknote.

We have historical figures other than Prime Ministers on our banknotes. Something which irks me about the Canadian ones. They shouldn't have to follow the US and should ideally show famous historical Canadians, both from the English sphere and I French sphere. As well as general well known historical Canadians.

Perhaps the likes of Jacques Cartier and Terry Fox, just to name a few.

I like the people who grace our banknotes. Laurier was the great Canadian statesman, created two provinces (Alberta and Saskatchewan), introduced the Royal Canadian Navy, was responsible for the great immigration boom of the early 20th century and lead us into WWI. Robert Bordan lead us through WWI, demanded a seat of our own at Varsailles and got the ball rolling in the direction that ultimately lead to the Statute of Westminster. MacKenzie King lead us through WWII and was probably the most balanced and good-governing PM we've had.

If there had to be others:

Nellie McClung - Canadian women's right advocate

Lester B. Pearson - probably our greatest PM.

Louis St. Laurent - 1950's Prime Minister responsible for most of the social programs we have today

Pierre Trudeau - 1980's PM

Samuel Champlain - Founder of New France

John Cabot - discovered Newfoundland

Sir Isaac Brock

Louis-Joseph de Montcalm and James Wolf - commanders of the French and British forces during the Battle of Quebec City in the Seven Years' War

To name a few.

why do we always end up talking about canada in every thread? i don't get it.

initially, canada was brought up as a joke: how long will it be before we start talking about canada.

...and then right on cue: lester pearson and pierre trudeau. PLEASE FOCUS.

Archived