Could Kenya seriously challenge South Africa to be the first African Summer Olympics host?

Crusader

Both have similar population sizes of currently around 45million.

South Africa is a much richer country in terms of GDP with an economy 8 times larger but potentially with far greater social problems as an ongoing legacy of apartheid and social inequality.

Kenya has a great Olympic sporting legacy particularly in middle distance running.

Any Kenya bid would centre around the capital Nairobi and their 'Vision 2030' policy would make a 2028 games a crowning achievement that the country had achieved its economic goals. By 2017, Kenya Airlines will be one of the few airlines to fly to all six continents from the proposed host city. South African Airlines also fly to all six continents but maybe not from their proposed host.

In terms of sports, South Africa hold the lead having organised the Rugby World Cup, the Football World Cup and the Cricket World Cup. Both countries have however held the multi-sport All Africa Games, a regional Olympic event in Nairobi in 1987 and Johannesburg in 1999.

Is it possible with the emphasis being all focused on South Africa being the first African hosts, that an intelligent and technically excellent bid from Kenya could slip under the radar and surprise everyone as London surprised Paris in 2012? Or would two serious African contenders simply split the African vote so that both missed out?

For me, Mandela would no longer be that figurehead that galvanises both the country and the world, whilst a Kenyan bid could be led by one of their outstanding athletes in much the same way as Lord Coe did.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"South Africa is a much richer country in terms of GDP with an economy 8 times larger" says it all.

THe answer is no.

The issue is that in 10years time this could be significantly different - there have been potential oil deposits discovered both in the Turkana region and also offshore and both the West and the Chinese are involved in several exploratory drilling sites.

I predict the ANOCA will likely encourage Kenya and possibly Morocco to hold off on bidding to ensure that any South African bid has the support of the whole continent.

I don't think that is an issue. Even if they are Applicant Cities, they will not make it to the Candidate City phase. Only SA can mount a technically strong enough bid.

Can't see it happening. South Africa at least has prior bid experience (and has also hosted a recent IOC session). Kenya has very little on their resume to run with, especially compared to South Africa. RSA will be the first country in Africa to host an Olympics, you can all but take that one to the bank.

The Kenyan PM can dream all he wants. The fact is it's not capable.

No.

Forget not being capable.. if somehow they were to pick Kenya to host 2024, that puts off South Africa for at least 2 decades and that one I can't see happening. But yea, if they want to try, let them build up some experience so that maybe in 30-40 years, they can give a shot. They're not there yet though.

Forget not being capable.. if somehow they were to pick Kenya to host 2024, that puts off South Africa for at least 2 decades and that one I can't see happening. But yea, if they want to try, let them build up some experience so that maybe in 30-40 years, they can give a shot. They're not there yet though.

If Kenya were to host, what urgent need does the IOC have to go to South Africa?

Archived