2022 Commonwealth Games

runningrings

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yet Durban so far has done nothing to campaign - not even shown much interest bar putting their name in half-heatedly. If anything's quite clear it's that if the election was held tomorrow, Edmonton would win easily - ergo, Edders would have to be the favourite at the moment.

I still hope that changes - there's still time, they've got a strong sentimental case they can push, and I do want South Africa to win this round. But first they've got to actually come to the party, and like Oslo 2022, there comes a point where you gave to accept that the outwardly more attractive bid is unlikely to do it unless they change things dramatically. Durban has to pull it's finger out if it's to be competitive, much less stand a chance of winning or be considered favourite.

Not nationalistic? Just obsessed with England then. Just about every post of yours now is about England, or to bite back at anyone else who mentions England in passing without acknowledging it as the promised land. No other Brit here is as annoyingly jingoistic as you - do you think all your other fellow Englishmen here are unpatriotic and letting the country down?

No-one pushes the "my country should host EVERYTHING" as obsessively and monotonously as you.

I've never said "My Country should Host EVERYTHING". Find a quote.

Just because I love My Country and support My Countries/Cities Bid when they Bid for something, doesn't make Me 'Jingoistic'. Most People support their Countries or Cities Bids. Most Football Fans want a World Cup in their Country, anyone who says any different is in denial and is a liar.

I didn't really care to support Gold Coasf 2018, am I in denial?

Would you have supported Manchester's bid to host 2000?

Just because I love My Country and support My Countries/Cities Bid when they Bid for something, doesn't make Me 'Jingoistic'. Most People support their Countries or Cities Bids. Most Football Fans want a World Cup in their Country, anyone who says any different is in denial and is a liar.

I did say Countries/Cities Bid and I said most would.

Yea, just ask the folks in Oslo, Krakow and Munich how they feel!

Yeah, but the problem is, you don't even know if they are bidding

-.-

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

CGF announces names on Evaluation Commission for 2022 Commonwealth Games

The Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) has today announced the team appointed to the new Evaluation Commission set to assess the candidate cities vying to host the 2022 Commonwealth Games.

CGF honorary secretary Louise Martin will chair the Commission after playing a major role in the running of the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games, as vice-chair of the Games' Organising Committee and leader of the Glasgow bid team.

Martin was also elected a Board member of the Commonwealth Games Scotland (CGS) Board in 1995 before taking over as chair from 1999 to 2007, when her term came to an end in line with CGS constitutional requirements.

She will be joined by the man who was at the helm of Glasgow 2014, David Grevemberg, as he prepares to make the transition from chief executive of this summer's Games, to chief executive of the CGF - a role he takes on officially on November 3.

Secretary general of the Sri Lanka Commonwealth Games Association, Maxwell de Silva, will also be part of the team, alongside Ian Hooper, director of sport and special projects at Glasgow Life, the organisation that delivers sports and cultural services on behalf of Glasgow City Council.

A fifth member of the Commission, representing International Sporting Federations, is still to be announced.

The Commission will be responsible for undertaking a comprehensive review of the Candidature Files of bidding cities which are due to be lodged by March 2, 2015.

Durban, South Africa and Edmonton, Canada, are the two cities that gave formal notification of their intention to bid on the March 31 deadline.

The Evaluation Commission will undertake their visits to the two cities in April 2015.

full article

http://www.insidethegames.biz/commonwealth-games/2022/1023138-exclusive-cgf-announces-names-on-evaluation-commission-for-2022-commonwealth-games

We are a long way out. Don't forget durban is different in that the city cannot champion it, that is the national bodies role, we do not have a federal system.

Secondly while it may not be load campaigning go do some Google and you will see the number of meetings that city leaders for the bid have been having with bid teams from Glasgow, Melbourne, and scary enough Delhi. They are even having them back in durban for the annual Sports exchange event.

Why be loud and proud now when you do not have to be? It's not the world's public and gamesbids you need to win over.

• 3 weeks later...

Why be loud and proud now when you do not have to be? It's not the world's public and gamesbids you need to win over.

The trouble is, even the CGF is noting now that Durban hasn't moved forwards, or indeed actually done anything much, on their bid:

Martin claims she has "every confidence" Durban will still bid for 2022 Commonwealth Games despite lack of activity

Louise Martin, chair of the Coordination Commission for the 2022 Commonwealth Games, is confident there Durban still plan to bid for the Games despite their lack of activity so far.

The South African city announced their intention to bid for the Games on the March 31 deadline, alongside Edmonton in Canada.

But, despite attending the Glasgow 2014 Debrief and Candidate City Seminar in the Gold Coast earlier this month, the bid team has been relatively withheld in their publicity towards the bid.

insidethegames understands this is because the bid is currently circulating the three tiers of South African Government - national, provincial and local levels - causing holdups in the publication of information.

Several requests from insidethegames for information from the South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee (SASCOC) about the status of the bid have gone unanswered.

South Africa's Sports Minister Fikile Mbalula claimed last month that hosting the Commonwealth Games in 2022 would be a major stepping-stone to one day staging the Olympics, and assured both the public and the SASCOC that the Government fully supported Durban's bid.

"As a Government we've embarked on the process of the 2022 Commonwealth bid," he said.

"It's good for athletes and their own confidence but lets remember that the hosting of Commonwealth Games is a precursor to the Olympic Games.

"They are in tandem.

"We have engaged all and are ready to take serious steps in Government to put in a solid bid to make sure these Games come to the African continent.

"I can tell you now the progress of engagement is well underway.

Martin, who is also an honorary secretary of the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) having been re-elected for a third term in 2007, told insidethegames that she had no concerns over Durban's apparent lack of activity in the campaign to host the 2022 Games.

"I have every confidence that there will be two very strong bids to host the Commonwealth Games in 2022 from Durban and Edmonton," she said.

"Both bid teams have plenty of time to continue with their preparations as they are not required to submit their final bid until March next year."

South Africa is no stranger to hosting major sporting events, having hosted the world's most widely viewed sporting spectacle - the FIFA World Cup in 2010.

It also successfully hosted the 1995 Rugby World Cup, 2003 Cricket World Cup and most recently, the 2013 African Cup of Nations.

The deadline for cities to submit their bids for the 2022 Commonwealth Games is March 2, 2015.

The decision on which city will host Games is due to be taken by the CGF at its General Assembly in Auckland on September 2, 2015.

Insidethegames

I'm really hoping Durban take this seriously and win it. But it's not looking so likely at the moment.

So it looks like we'll know if Durban will go ahead or not by the end of November. Though, having watched how decisions process through the SA Government, it may be Nov 20-15 rather than this month. And this is the Moses Madhiba stadium manager who's talking, not anyone actually from the government.

Durban 'ready' for Commonwealth Games

Durban - Durban has made it clear that it is ready to host the Commonwealth Games in 2022, The Witness reports.

And with just a decision by the national cabinet pending, and expected before the end of November, senior sports officials have said they would be “ready to rock ’n roll” to make the event happen.

Vusi Mazibuko, general manager of Moses Mabhida Stadium, who is leading the charge for the city, confirmed that Durban is ready.

“The necessary reports are being compiled and will be submitted to Parliament shortly, but based on the requirements of the games, Durban can host the event.

“While Durban would be the host city, the country would be the ultimate host, so national approval is needed.”

This week a report compiled by an eThekwini Metro observer mission led by Mazibuko - which attended the recent Glasgow, Scotland, Commonwealth Games - confirmed the city had all the required infrastructure.

“We can host all the core sports and have multiple indoor facilities, such as the ICC and Durban Exhibition Centre. The economic spin-offs and legacy projects would be significant.”

The Commonwealth Games, in which just over 50 countries participate, allows cities to use existing infrastructure.

SA Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee board member Mark Alexander said they expected the cabinet to take a decision soon.

“I really hope they do, as it would be good for the country. Within a 2.5 km stretch, Durban can host nine of the 10 core sports, and by that time the city’s bus rapid transport system will be operational.

“We already have plans in place, so that, if Parliament gives the go-ahead, we are ready to rock ’n roll,” said Alexander.

Lee-Roy Newton, vice-president of KwaZulu-Natal Athletics, said bringing the Commonwealth Games to Durban would be a victory for Africa. “An African state might not win the FiFA World Cup in my lifetime, but Africans have continually dominated in athletics.

“It is not just about the games, but will allow for an upgrade of all our facilities and, in turn, position Durban as a great training destination for teams across the globe. Already, as a country, South Africa attracts 50% of the world’s top athletes to various high-performance centres across the country.”

He said the spin-offs would be significant.

While the cost of hosting the games has yet to be determined, the observer mission report said that the Glasgow games cost some £650m (R11.4 bn), with £90m going towards security.

Cities bidding for the games need to submit their bids by March 2015. The only other known bidder is Edmonton, Canada.

Sport24

Archived