2022 Commonwealth Games

runningrings

Yep. And so far Durban hasn't even been even near half-hearted. All they've done is texted in their application and gone, well I was going to say Missing In Action, but as they've shown no action I'd have to say AWOL.

I'm still hoping they get their act together, but I'm far from confident that's going to be forthcoming.

Honestly, so do I. I'd rather see Durban host than Edmonton in 2022. That being said, I'd be happy with either result. It's pretty much a win-win here for the CGF when you look at it. Either a reliable repeat host from a nation that hasn't had the Games since '94, or head to a new frontier and be the first to break into a continent that the CGF and IOC both so desperately want to explore.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we are heading towards a "here are the keys" moment for Edmonton next year then for 2026 I doubt if any African potential host would get a sympathetic hearing over anyone else. Why should they? We now have other nations lining up with investigations and are far more capable to bid.

If we are heading towards a "here are the keys" moment for Edmonton next year then for 2026 I doubt if any African potential host would get a sympathetic hearing over anyone else. Why should they? We now have other nations lining up with investigations and are far more capable to bid.

If Edmonton Canada gets the 2022 which is very likely with bad communications on the Durban team then I could see 2026 will be Singapore vs Durban South Africa. Singapore will most likely get 2026 if that happen Singapore is an develop country the city state can host great events and an major transportation hub an new country for the Commonwealth Games and the only thing Durban has going for them is hosting few soccer games in the FIFA World Cup. India killed of any developing countries bids for future Commonwealth Games for sometime so there goes African counties and South Asian countries. So Edmonton Canada 2022 - Singapore 2026 - Perth Australia 2030.

If Edmonton Canada gets the 2022 which is very likely with bad communications on the Durban team then I could see 2026 will be Singapore vs Durban South Africa. Singapore will most likely get 2026 if that happen Singapore is an develop country the city state can host great events and an major transportation hub an new country for the Commonwealth Games and the only thing Durban has going for them is hosting few soccer games in the FIFA World Cup. India killed of any developing countries bids for future Commonwealth Games for sometime so there goes African counties and South Asian countries. So Edmonton Canada 2022 - Singapore 2026 - Perth Australia 2030.

The Australian minerals sector is on the decline, so by 2030 Perth Western Australia Australia Oceania probably couldn't even afford to host a P!nk concert, let alone the Commonwealth games. Might be good idea to ask your dad to put the plasma TV on ebay now, while it's still got some resale value.

Durban is the Favourite for 2022. Perth could possibly be Australia's next Host after Gold Coast 2018, but Australia won't Host for a while after Gold Coast 2018.

London, Singapore and Durban will all probably Host before Australia Host's again after Gold Coast 2018.

London is too big for the Comm Games, it would get lost in a city that size. Better for Birmingham etc,,,

Hoping for Adelaide as the next Australian Comm Games host, they blew it when they withdrew as an Australian nominee and Gold Coast snatched it.They have their main stadium in the city now complete, and a new Aquatic Centre.

London is too big for the Comm Games, it would get lost in a city that size. Better for Birmingham etc,,,

I still don't think it would be a reason to knock back a London hosting - it wouldn't be exactly invisible either. I'd support other English cities hosting over London not because London is 'too big' but more that they would benefit more from it. As you say, Birmingham-- but also Leeds, Reading and Liverpool come to mind. Elsewhere in the UK, Cardiff and Belfast have potential.

A bigger impression is left on the smaller hosts- Gold Coast will be far more moved by the CWG than somewhere like Melbourne- which is pretty well unchanged from 2006 happening.

Hoping for Adelaide as the next Australian Comm Games host, they blew it when they withdrew as an Australian nominee and Gold Coast snatched it.They have their main stadium in the city now complete, and a new Aquatic Centre.

I think adelaide would be great, but it was their silly attitude a few years back that cost them. I have no doubt they could be hosting 2018 if it weren't for the **** attitude of their govt afew years back claiming they were 'above ' any event Melbourne hosted.

I can see Belfast hosting at some stage. You simply eliminate George Best Airport (and make a new midsized international airport elsewhere outside the city) and use the grounds for a sporting precinct, park and athletes village. There's already some form of shopping there with IKEA and the rest of the Holywood exchange retail park. That's where the main media centre can be hosted too, since the city has no real need for a large exhibition centre (they already have one), this building can be converted to light industrial/manufacturing use warehouses after the Games. The site could also be transformed into a cruise ship port too.

I can see the following venues in such a Commonwealth Park:

- Main Stadium (of around 50,000)

- Aquatics Centre

- Velodrome

- Field Hockey Centre

- Minor Arena (the city has 1 modern arena and a preexisting "old" arena)

- Main Media Centre

- Athletes' Village

- Media accommodated by cruise ships

Belfast can work!

As for that comment about Melbourne, we were changed. For starters, Spencer Street Station (Southern Cross Station) was totally transformed into a modern secondary railway station (the first being Flinders Street of course), to accommodate modern facilities for its primary use as the main terminal for interstate trains, buses and of course being the drop off location of the skybus to the airport. Then you have the MCG, we upgraded the MCG to have a new Northern Stand. Replacing all the old stands, this was the single most important sporting infrastructure project. The Melbourne Sports and Aquatics Centre in Albert Park got a new "outdoor" pool, which was covered and seated 9,000 during the Games. Training facilities such as an indoor velodrome at Darebin came about too, whilst most other sporting venues already existed.

I can see Belfast hosting at some stage. You simply eliminate George Best Airport (and make a new midsized international airport elsewhere outside the city) and use the grounds for a sporting precinct, park and athletes village. There's already some form of shopping there with IKEA and the rest of the Holywood exchange retail park. That's where the main media centre can be hosted too, since the city has no real need for a large exhibition centre (they already have one), this building can be converted to light industrial/manufacturing use warehouses after the Games. The site could also be transformed into a cruise ship port too.

I can see the following venues in such a Commonwealth Park:

- Main Stadium (of around 50,000)

- Aquatics Centre

- Velodrome

- Field Hockey Centre

- Minor Arena (the city has 1 modern arena and a preexisting "old" arena)

- Main Media Centre

- Athletes' Village

- Media accommodated by cruise ships

Belfast can work!

More so now because that crusty old s***bag - Ian Paisley, has finally carked it!

Weren't they going to build a sports park over the old Maze Prison site at one stage?

I still think that the only Cities with a realistic chance of Hosting Future Commonwealth Games after Gold Coast 2018 are:

London, England. (Possibly 2030 for the Centennial Commonwealth Games).

Singapore, Singapore. (Possibly the 2026 Commonwealth Games).

Durban, South Africa. (Favourites for the 2022 Commonwealth Games).

Auckland, New Zealand. (Possible for the 2034 Commonwealth Games.

Gold Coast 2018 - Durban 2022 - Singapore 2026 - London, England 2030 - Auckland 2034.

I see these as the most realistic choices. I can't see the Commonwealth Games Federation returning to Australia again for a while after Gold Coast 2018. If they go back to Oceania, New Zealand will probably Host. London, England for the Centennial Commonwealth Games in 2030 IMO.

Here in London, England will probably Host the Centennial in 2030.

As for that comment about Melbourne, we were changed. For starters, Spencer Street Station (Southern Cross Station) was totally transformed into a modern secondary railway station (the first being Flinders Street of course) to accommodate modern facilities for its primary use as the main terminal for interstate trains, buses and of course being the drop off location of the skybus to the airport.

Not quite. Firstly, Southern Cross-Spencer Street IS Melbourne's primary railway station - much more so than Flinders Street. Flinders is simply well known as a landmark - and a hub of the metro network --- Spencer does everything else. Hardly secondary. Furthermore, it was always earmarked for a major redeveopment - it would have happenend with or without the 2006 Games - from memory it wasn't even fully finished until 2007?

Then you have the MCG, we upgraded the MCG to have a new Northern Stand. Replacing all the old stands, this was the single most important sporting infrastructure project.

Again, another project that would have proceeded with or without 2006.

The Melbourne Sports and Aquatics Centre in Albert Park got a new "outdoor" pool, which was covered and seated 9,000 during the Games. Training facilities such as an indoor velodrome at Darebin came about too, whilst most other sporting venues already existed.

The new pool at MSAC is one legacy of 2006... as is the athletes village at Parkville - but many of the other venues and infrastructure already existed. You could almost say that the failed 1996 Olympic bid left a bigger imprint on the city than 2006.

My point again, a bigger footprint/legacy was left by the CwG in KL, Manchester and Delhi than it did Melbourne.

lol Tony, there's no way that Canada doesn't get a Games at some point. The centennial could more than likely come here if Durban wins 2022.

I disagree. A London VS Edmonton battle for Centennial, London will always Win.

I disagree. A London VS Edmonton battle for Centennial, London will always Win.

You're a god damn imbecile. The fact that you think you have improved here is frightening.

At least provide some info to back up your claim for God sakes. Canada stands a chance because we haven't hosted since 1994, and it's the centennial of the first hosting in Hamilton. Sure this doesn't always pan out (see: Atlanta 1996), but it sure gives us a hell of a chance to win. Also, Tony, you do realize that we have many other cities besides Edmonton who can host? Please provide some reasons next time before you blast me with some nationalistic, blind response because you're too god damn London-obsessed to appreciate any other city or nation.

Wait, stop. Let me guess

London, England will host the 2030 Commonwealth Games because it is the centennial games and London, being the centre of the former British Empire, with it's powerful army and world-powerhouse title, has proven that they can host, especially after the grand performance of London, England at the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games. The games will return to England, IMO. IMO, London is greater than all when it comes to bidding/hosting for the 2030 Commonwealth Games because we have the power, venues, money, and greatness. It would also be very nice to return to the home of the CWG, London, England, IMO. London is certainly large enough and we have superior infrastructure allowing a low-cost games. London, England will host in 2030, then Singapore, Singapore in 2026, then Durban, South Africa in 2022 (they are the favourites[citation needed]), then Auckland, New Zealand in 2034. All just my opinion, though, IMO.

Wait, stop. Let me guess

London, England will host the 2030 Commonwealth Games because it is the centennial games and London, being the centre of the former British Empire, with it's powerful army and world-powerhouse title, has proven that they can host, especially after the grand performance of London, England at the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games. The games will return to England, IMO. IMO, London is greater than all when it comes to bidding/hosting for the 2030 Commonwealth Games because we have the power, venues, money, and greatness. It would also be very nice to return to the home of the CWG, London, England, IMO. London is certainly large enough and we have superior infrastructure allowing a low-cost games. London, England will host in 2030, then Singapore, Singapore in 2026, then Durban, South Africa in 2022 (they are the favourites[1]), then Auckland, New Zealand in 2034. All just my opinion, though, IMO.

[1] Tony E Loves Architecture

FTFY

Tony what you have against North America? Seriously North America will not be going for over 40 years with out the Commonwealth Games and the Summer Olympics and Paralympics Games. Edmonton Canada is the front runner for the 2022 Commonwealth Games and Los Angeles if they are the USOC bidding city will be the frontrunner for the 2024 Summer Games as well.

Tony what you have against North America? Seriously North America will not be going for over 40 years with out the Commonwealth Games and the Summer Olympics and Paralympics Games. Edmonton Canada is the front runner for the 2022 Commonwealth Games and Los Angeles if they are the USOC bidding city will be the frontrunner for the 2024 Summer Games as well.

What have You got against Europe and Africa, with Your obsession with Asia?

It's quite clear that Durban is the Favourite for 2022.

You're a god damn imbecile. The fact that you think you have improved here is frightening.

At least provide some info to back up your claim for God sakes. Canada stands a chance because we haven't hosted since 1994, and it's the centennial of the first hosting in Hamilton. Sure this doesn't always pan out (see: Atlanta 1996), but it sure gives us a hell of a chance to win. Also, Tony, you do realize that we have many other cities besides Edmonton who can host? Please provide some reasons next time before you blast me with some nationalistic, blind response because you're too god damn London-obsessed to appreciate any other city or nation.

I'm not nationalistic. I love England. I don't have issues with other Countries, but I love my Country.

Me claiming London will Host, is the same as You claiming Canada would Host, so don't insult Me and be a hypocrite.

It's quite clear that Durban is the Favourite for 2022.

Yet Durban so far has done nothing to campaign - not even shown much interest bar putting their name in half-heatedly. If anything's quite clear it's that if the election was held tomorrow, Edmonton would win easily - ergo, Edders would have to be the favourite at the moment.

I still hope that changes - there's still time, they've got a strong sentimental case they can push, and I do want South Africa to win this round. But first they've got to actually come to the party, and like Oslo 2022, there comes a point where you gave to accept that the outwardly more attractive bid is unlikely to do it unless they change things dramatically. Durban has to pull it's finger out if it's to be competitive, much less stand a chance of winning or be considered favourite.

I'm not nationalistic. I love England. I don't have issues with other Countries, but I love my Country.

Me claiming London will Host, is the same as You claiming Canada would Host, so don't insult Me and be a hypocrite.

Not nationalistic? Just obsessed with England then. Just about every post of yours now is about England, or to bite back at anyone else who mentions England in passing without acknowledging it as the promised land. No other Brit here is as annoyingly jingoistic as you - do you think all your other fellow Englishmen here are unpatriotic and letting the country down?

No-one pushes the "my country should host EVERYTHING" as obsessively and monotonously as you.

Archived