2022 Commonwealth Games

runningrings

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Supposed deadline is less then 3 weeks and no country has come forth and said they have put a bid in.

I can see South Africa putting in an Official Bid at the last minute.

Supposed deadline is less then 3 weeks and no country has come forth and said they have put a bid in.

...considering Africa has first dibbes, wouldn't be surprised. Still if no one shows up...London?

Basically the death of these Games.

Hardly. The games could easily be followed up with Singapore, South Africa, Canada, a UK city perhaps and another Australian or New Zealand host. That's enough to get us into the 2040s. I think talk of the death of the games is premature to say the least.

Hardly. The games could easily be followed up with Singapore, South Africa, Canada, a UK city perhaps and another Australian or New Zealand host. That's enough to get us into the 2040s. I think talk of the death of the games is premature to say the least.

They're already nearing irrelevance.

They're already nearing irrelevance.

Yes...and this is the reason why I believe the last four editions were pricy for their relevance. Although 2002 got a good ballance as the stadium was spoken for, and Melbourne always had facilities ready with tweaks.

As I said up to 1982, CWGs were a premium event, but this was in the Cold War era and the world very defined. 1974, 78, and 82 were happy to build presidgous facilities that cost a fraction of what it would today. Regional games were starting up and with the Olympics suffering three boycotts in a row there seemed to be a need for alternatives. Now with Regional games and singular events such as IAAF and Diamond League, athletes get a world class competion, with "prizes" on an almost monthly basis, all in the buildup to Olympic year. Then a CWGs show up...

Yet then again, they're not. I think the CGF should really define a definitive list of sports which are mandatory for the next Games and beyond.

Just don't make it the scale of the Olympics. You lower venue capacity requirements and you make the list of sports for consistency.

I don't think an increase in sports/disciplines would actually hurt, if not properly grow the Commonwealth Games.

The commonwealth games are about much more than track and field athletics.

Indeed they are, especially with Australia's strengths being elsewhere. Is worrying though but the CGF have nobody to blame but themselves as the lack of interest in 2022 is hardly a surprise after pretty much head to head bids over recent years. They really should have opened up the bid for 2022 and 2026, giving bidders double the chance of success based on one bid rather than two. As others have said tweaking venue requirements would help as well. I don't think the sport requirements need to change too much - the numbers seem about right and the mix of sports is appropriate for most Commonwealth countries.

Interesting...The idea of winding up the Commonwealth Games with the end of QEII's reign is interesting. At New Delhi Prince Charles show no interest at all.

I think this is what is putting off future bidders.

Could we end up with a permanent venues situation? Prehaps three?

Interesting...The idea of winding up the Commonwealth Games with the end of QEII's reign is interesting. At New Delhi Prince Charles show no interest at all.

I think this is what is putting off future bidders.

Could we end up with a permanent venues situation? Prehaps three?

How about staging a scaled down version of the Games in London... permanently? Have it at QE2 Olympic Park forever.

While some of you are singing the CWG swan song, what about the Commonwealth as such? As an outsider, it seems to me that it doesn't have much purpose beyond ceremonial and keeping up some traditions from an Empire long gone?

I think there is certainly an affinity between between the core C'wealth nations (UK, Australia, Canada, NZ, and to a lesser extent South Africa, Singapore, Malaysia, India, etc..) but beyond them its frayed - particularly in parts of Africa which have in fact come off second best as a direct result of British Imperialism ---- why should we expect them to celebrate? It is an ugly concept.

I was living in Melbourne during the 2006 Games and while I enjoyed the atmosphere and fanfare, there was a discomforting undertone to the entire event --- what EXACTLY were we gathering for and what was the point?

Stefan. The Commonwealth is essentially a groups within groups. You have the Commonwealth states within the Americas. The Caribbean members all have strong relationships with each other and form the West Indies for cricket. The Caribbean have a strong relationship with Canada. The European members are essentially the same state plus Cyrpus and Malta. In Africa there is significances due to the proximity of so many members in Southern Africa (enough to make Mozambique want membership). Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific Islands are all close and Australia/New Zealand have strong relations with the UK.

Canada had good relations with South Africa but they have fallen recently and in my lifetime we have never had particularly close relationships with any of the other Dominions. But have significant and growing relations with India and Bangladesh.

There is growing interest in developing trade relations through the Commonwealth. But many of the major players look to Europe or the Pacific first.

Hooper confident of bids for 2022 Commonwealth Games as deadline looms

March 29 - Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) chief executive Mike Hooper has claimed he remains confident that cities will bid for the 2022 Games, despite the fact the deadline is due on Monday (March 31).

A city has yet to definitively declare that they want to stage the Games, but Hooper refused to be drawn on whether that position has changed as the deadline fast approaches.

London, Durban, Singapore and the Sri Lankan city of Hambantota, which narrowly lost out in the race to host the 2018 Games, are being mooted as possible interested cities.

An African city is reported to be favoured by the CGF, probably Durban, but the South African Government have refused to officially back a bid yet amid claims that they may decide to instead try for the 2024 Olympics and Paralympics.

"The reason we have asked for expressions of interest eight years out from the Games is so that people fully understand what it means to bid and host the Games," said Hooper.

"It is a massive task to deliver a major sporting event like the Commonwealth Games.

"This is not a bid; it is exactly what it says - an expression of interest.

"I remain confident that there will be a bid or bids for the 2022 Commonwealth Games lodged by March next year [the official deadline for bids]."

Insidethegames

No mention of the "it's reserved for Africa spiel that was being trotted around the continent during the baton relay. I wonder if Hooper's in the loop or not at all these days. Anyway, hope we hear more as the march deadline for expressions of interest hits this week.

Oh, for those who miss a certain poster, there's a typical, wordy reply from him on the Insidethegames site.

We have a showdown (compared to 2018). It appears Canada and South Africa will be among the bidders. Source:Insidethegames

I think South Africa would have the edge, as Africa hasn't hosted a Commonwealth Games yet. I'm surprised that Singapore hasn't put forward a Bid. I can see Cape Town being South Africa's Candidate and Edmonton being Canada's Candidate.

Hambantota will probably also put in a last minute Bid, after losing out to Gold Coast in the 2018 race.

Hambantota won't bid:

"Among the cities who had been rumoured to be considering a bid but have decided against it is Hambantoto, who bid unsuccessfully to host the 2018 Commonwealth Games, which were awarded to the Gold Coast.

Hemasiri Fernando, chairman of the National Olympic Committee of Sri Lanka, confirmed to insidethegames that they had decided against another bid."

Archived