2022 Commonwealth Games

runningrings

I still disagree. I am 99.9 per cent sure Europe will get the 2024 Summer Olympics. North America will get the Games in 2036 when it will be New York City VS Toronto.

I have no idea why you keep suggesting 2036 for North America. If 2024 goes to Europe and 2028 goes to Africa, 2032 is almost destined for North America, as it will be 36 years without a summer games by then. Only Asia could really put up a fight in my opinion.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no idea why you keep suggesting 2036 for North America. If 2024 goes to Europe and 2028 goes to Africa, 2032 is almost destined for North America, as it will be 36 years without a summer games by then. Only Asia could really put up a fight in my opinion.

Because 2032 will come to Europe.

Tony, could you tell me what the Oz Lotto numbers for tonight are going to be?

That will be nice if Tony could give us the numbers for Oz Lotto, Tony needs to back off and not post so much he only been on hear for less then a month and he has more then 1200 post take it easy Tony, Keep it too 300 post maximum a month that is 10 posts a day you are doing 40 posts a day.

I do wonder if the IOC hasn't had a word about Durban - that Cape Town is a globally more attractive proposal when it comes to the Olympics and therefore there will be a contest for the commonwealth games to get a way to drop Durban.

I highly doubt they have. It is more the government saving face and making it look like an internal competition, we have elections coming up...

Cape Town is ill suited

Oh, and I can't see us bidding for the commies. Since 85% don't even know it exists it means very little for the country in economic return, or international publicity. To me its a dying event. Why when clearly no one wants to host it should we make effort? No one clamouring for it is a sure sign of its future.

I highly doubt they have. It is more the government saving face and making it look like an internal competition, we have elections coming up...

Cape Town is ill suitedOh, and I can't see us bidding for the commies. Since 85% don't even know it exists it means very little for the country in economic return, or international publicity. To me its a dying event. Why when clearly no one wants to host it should we make effort? No one clamouring for it is a sure sign of its future.

And there's your answer everyone...South Africa clearly has the Olympics in it's sights, but the CWGs may have missed the point outside the old "white" minority which is where ths concept of the old empire lies anyway.

Still if the government is egar to promote the CWGs as a stepping stone, so be it.

And there's your answer everyone...South Africa clearly has the Olympics in it's sights, but the CWGs may have missed the point outside the old "white" minority which is where ths concept of the old empire lies anyway.

Still if the government is egar to promote the CWGs as a stepping stone, so be it.

It will be a while before South Africa gets an Olympics Games if they don't go for an Commonwealth Games the staging Commonwealth Games is an stepping stone for an Olympics Games for South Africa Rio de Janeiro Brazil could not have gotten the games with out the 2007 Pan Am Games.

It will be a while before South Africa gets an Olympics Games if they don't go for an Commonwealth Games the staging Commonwealth Games is an stepping stone for an Olympics Games for South Africa Rio de Janeiro Brazil could not have gotten the games with out the 2007 Pan Am Games.

I agree partially with that statement. IMO, Rio de Janeiro could of got the Summer Olympics without hosting the 2007 Pan American Games, it did help, but that wasn't the full reason Rio de Janeiro won. It was because the IOC wanted to go to new Continents, Rio de Janeiro mainly got the Games because of the 1st South American Summer Olympics. It could only be Rio de Janeiro, as Rio de Janeiro is by far the strongest city in South America. Buenos Aires is the 3rd strongest IMO, and they got the 2018 Summer Youth Olympics. 2nd is Sao Paulo.

I'm yawning here. The same "logic" is always brought up. There is no form of evidence that getting commies will help an olympics. That's probably something the commies committee want to sow to keep their event alive.

Would hosting the commies helped, maybe. Will it stop things if it ticks the IOC boxes ? No.

Frankly the government won't have appetite for both and why waste money on an event like the commies, which as I said before is not really useful for anything in the wider world context if you are trying to leverage the event for gains. The commies is to the world what the winter Olympics is to us that don't have a winter sports culture - irrelevant.

Singapore would work as they could use most of the venues from the Youth Olympics not to mention their new national stadium is set to open in April.

I totally agree. They have the facilities, as the Singaporean Government is investing in sports facilities, with the New National Stadium Etc, but not all the Venues are in place. They would probably need an Indoor Arena, seating around 15,000 Seats maybe. Obviously, if London Bids, I will support a London Bid, but if we don't, I would support a Singapore Bid for 2022, seeing as though South Africa looks certain to Bid for a Summer Olympics with Durban.

Where Singspore may trip up is it's incredibly hard line police state regime, it's definitely NOT a liberal place. Great place to visit but you do notice the heavy police presence. And the state is well known for it's brutal consequences if you break the law, although most people would agree with them. I can see far left groups raising hell if Singapore is chosen.

Campaigners and activists in the Internet age will raise hell about any event host--- I remember seeing a group of protesters in Melbourne years ago using Vancouver 2010 as an opportunity to raise issue with the treatment of seals in Canada. Similarly the IOC was criticised for selecting Tokyo for 2020 due to Japan's barbaric whaling program.

Let's face it none of us know how the Olympics will pan out from 2024 only, though I do think it's a fight between Europe and the USA, meaning South Africa is best off waiting until 2028.

I do think though linking it to a Commonwealth Games that really to get any benefit with a future Olympic bid they need to have hosted the Commonwealths, so bidding in 2021 for 2028 might be a bit early. 2032 probably the better option.

Archived