2022 Commonwealth Games

runningrings

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mentioned earlier that London would be your fall back city...interesting if QEII is still alive.

I think the CGF is painfully aware of a South African bid and if a city was to finally front then all focus would shift overwhelmingly to Africa and the massive voting block it, Asia and Oceania would be a part of...But only if SA fronts.

By now NZ would've fronted with something, although we could see something come up over the Sochii Olympics in a fortnight.

Funny someone mentioned a welcome back Ireland with Dublin...Considering we are fast approaching the 100 anniversary of the bloody uprising that would overthrow British rule and leave Eire dismembered...I doubt it very much...Ouch!

As an Irishman myself (of the northern but south-looking variety) I think you'd be surprised. 2016 is going to be viewed here a bit like 2014 - a date to be commemorated rather than celebrated. Dublin-London relations, at least, as as good as they've ever been. It's the North that's still dicey. I agree the reality is the South would have to 'see out' the vartious anniversaries before considering the Commonwealth - but it's not as 'out there' as you might imagine - frankly, it ought to be in there, it is included as a 'guest' in a huge number of commonwealth cultural areas as it is - Ireland set the template for republics leaving the empire, and India stayed in the CW n independence because partly of lessons learned from Ireland's exit.

South Africa considers bid to host 2022 Commonwealth Games

The South African government is to consider a proposal to host the Commonwealth Games in 2022.

Gideon Sam, president of the South African Sports Confederation & Olympic Committee (SASCOC), hopes to bring the Games to Africa for the first time.

"I do believe it is Africa's turn," Sam told the BBC.

A spokesperson from the South African department of sport and recreation said sports minister Fikile Mbalula had received the application and backs it.

Speaking with the BBC's Queen's Baton Relay reporter Mark Beaumont, Sam added: "The time is right for them [Africa] to host the Commonwealth Games.

"In South Africa, we can host these games easily. Infrastructure is there. The know-how is there after hosting so many international competitions.

"We have already submitted our documentation. Once they give the go ahead, it is all systems go."

The sports ministry will now work with SASCOC before making a presentation to the South African cabinet, who will make the final decision.

Sam said an internal bidding process would determine which city is put forward, with Durban, Cape Town and Johannesburg in the running.

More @ http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/commonwealth-games/26117095

If Durban is going to Bid for the 2024 Summer Olympics, then I would like to see Cape Town be South Africa's Candidate for the 2022 Commonwealth Games.

If they go for 2022 - then it might be wise to refocus Olympic ambitions onto 2028. If they are willing to game the system, there is a big assumption that could be made that in their absence, 2024 would end up in Europe, opening the door to Africa in 2028.

I actually agree. I've said before that the 2024 Summer Olympics will come back to Europe, and 2028 will go to Africa. If Durban does Bid for the 2028 Summer Olympics, then Cape Town should be South Africa's Candidate for the 2022 Commonwealth Games, as I stated earlier. Singapore will be a Candidate I recon aswell. Oceania won't get the Games, as Gold Coast got the 2018 Edition, so New Zealand, it will be a waste of time them Bidding. I also predict Hambantota will Bid again, as they are investing in sporting facilites, and will improve from their Bid from the 2018 Edition. I hope London Bids, as it can be a good legacy for us. Cardiff has also rumoured to Bid, but as we saw a few days ago, it looks like the Welsh authorities don't want to Bid. As I stated, if London doesn't Bid, then I would support a Singapore Bid, and a Durban Bid for 2026. Africa should get their chance, but not in 2022, because as I said, I really want Singapore to host a major multi sporting event. If Singapore wins the Hosting Rights, it would centre around the Singapore Sports Hub I'm guessing.

Very pleased to hear South Africa are looking seriously at a bid. Given how long they have been in the background as far as the idea of "Africa's turn" is concerned, I would have thought most bidders will be frightened off going up against them.

I think this is good news. I'd definitely be excited by a South African commonwealth games. And I think the Brazilian experience shows that it would be a mistake to go for two big events so close together. Stage a succesful games in 2022 then look to the Olympics.

I dunno - they had mentioned considering a Commies bid before the CGF crisis meet a few weeks ago, so I don't think there's anything new in that. It's always been SASCOC that has been pretty keen on bidding for these events like the CWGs and the SOGs but waiting on the Government to green light them.

What I do find interesting and new is the mention of a domestic bid process. That could bring the Cape Town cheer squad out of the woodwork again. It could be the last chance for CT (or Joburg) to get back into SOG contention - I do think SA should use the same city for both (with the Commies helping them as prep for the big one). It would be almost criminal for them not to.

Interesting that the sports minister's taking another tack:

Mbalula wants Olympics 2024 in SA

South Africa is ready to host the Olympic Games and the country should bid for the 2024 edition, Sports Minister Fikile Mbalula said on Monday.

Mbalula, who was speaking at the arrival of the Queen's Baton in South Africa as part of the relay ahead of the 2014 Glasgow Commonwealth Games, echoed what President Jacob Zuma last year told reporters at the Japan National Press Club in Tokyo.

"We don't want to bid for the Commonwealth Games, we want the Olympics here in South Africa," Mbalula said after arriving late for the press briefing at OR Tambo international airport. "If the Commonwealth comes first that would be great, but our biggest fish to catch is 2024 [Olympic Games].

"I can say, without a shadow of doubt, it would be realisable if we work together because we do it for the future of our young people.

"It is the time now to bid for bigger things, Olympics is about life."

South Africa was seen as a strong candidate to host the showpiece in 2020 but Cabinet announced earlier that year it would not support the bid as the country had more important priorities. The bidding process for the 2024 Olympics begins in 2015 and the International Olympic Committee will announce the winner in 2017.

Chances
The country's chances to host the 2022 Commonwealth Games has, however, been gaining steam particularly since it has been earmarked for an African country.

In a boost to South Africa's chances of a successful bid, the Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee (Sascoc) president Gideon Sam was elected as one of two Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) vice-presidents in 2011.

"We are asking the Africans to put up their hands, but when you survey the possible countries only Ghana, Nigeria, Kenya or South Africa can bid," Sam said, wearing his CGF hat.

"By March, any of those four have to indicate before we meet for the general assembly in Auckland in 2015.

"My bias of course is that our athletes in South Africa have honoured this country by remaining in the top five in the Commonwealth."

Sam said South Africa may even bid for both the Commonwealth Games and the Olympics if there was an appetite to host both events. It was, however, doubtful the country would be tasked with organising both events which fell only two years apart. – Sapa

Mail & Guardian

If South Africa want to host the Summer Olympics and Paralympics Games soon they will need to host an Commonwealth Games 1st then after they do a great job on hosting them then it will be good time to go for an Olympics bid or they will be like Istanbul Turkey in never hosting a multi sporting event and not winning an Olympics Games bid.

50% of the reason why Rio de Janeiro Brazil won the 2016 bid due to grand great hosting of the Pan American Games in 2007 with out 2007 then Rio de Janeiro would of lost the 2016 bid, It would be the best if South Africa Political, Sporting and Tourist Cape Town host the 2022 Commonwealth Games then the 2032 Summer Olympics and Paralympics Games in Cape Town.

If South Africa want to host the Summer Olympics and Paralympics Games soon they will need to host an Commonwealth Games 1st then after they do a great job on hosting them then it will be good time to go for an Olympics bid or they will be like Istanbul Turkey in never hosting a multi sporting event and not winning an Olympics Games bid.

50% of the reason why Rio de Janeiro Brazil won the 2016 bid due to grand great hosting of the Pan American Games in 2007 with out 2007 then Rio de Janeiro would of lost the 2016 bid, It would be the best if South Africa Political, Sporting and Tourist Cape Town host the 2022 Commonwealth Games then the 2032 Summer Olympics and Paralympics Games in Cape Town.

Agree with this.

Hosting CWG 2022 and then trying OG 2024 would be suicidal fopr RSA and won't happen - but CWG 2022, OG 2028 would be a copmpletely different story - would fit exceptionally well, 2024 would probably go to europe, and 2026 CWG back to singapore, plus stepping in to 'save' the CWG, if done in right way, could get a lot of OG voters onside for a 2028 bid - and it would be a slam dunk in terms of 'Africa's turn'.

Personally would like a Nigeria CWG games, but country currently a little too volatile - but it really ought to go there at some point.

Wish some cities saw continential and community (CWG, francaphone etc) games as the opportunity they are to really stand up an OG bid, and a party in their own right, not just a consolation prize.

Agree with this.

Hosting CWG 2022 and then trying OG 2024 would be suicidal fopr RSA and won't happen - but CWG 2022, OG 2028 would be a copmpletely different story - would fit exceptionally well, 2024 would probably go to europe, and 2026 CWG back to singapore, plus stepping in to 'save' the CWG, if done in right way, could get a lot of OG voters onside for a 2028 bid - and it would be a slam dunk in terms of 'Africa's turn'.

Personally would like a Nigeria CWG games, but country currently a little too volatile - but it really ought to go there at some point.

Wish some cities saw continential and community (CWG, francaphone etc) games as the opportunity they are to really stand up an OG bid, and a party in their own right, not just a consolation prize.

The 2028 games will be too soon for Africa if South Africa host the Commonwealth Games in 2022 then the host city for the 2028 games get's picked in 2021 before they show of the world so it will be the best for the 2032 Games, I see after Rio de Janeiro Brazil 2016 and Tokyo Japan 2020, If South Africa host the 2022 Commonwealth Games then I see the Olympics Summer Games going to Los Angeles USA 2024, Berlin Germany 2028 then South Africa 2032.

The 2028 games will be too soon for Africa if South Africa host the Commonwealth Games in 2022 then the host city for the 2028 games get's picked in 2021 before they show of the world so it will be the best for the 2032 Games, I see after Rio de Janeiro Brazil 2016 and Tokyo Japan 2020, If South Africa host the 2022 Commonwealth Games then I see the Olympics Summer Games going to Los Angeles USA 2024, Berlin Germany 2028 then South Africa 2032.

2024 will come back to Europe, because they won't have 3 Non-European Summer Olympics in a row.

2024 will come back to Europe, because they won't have 3 Non-European Summer Olympics in a row.

There will be more Olympics Games away from Europe the Olympics is now an global event and look at the picture Asia last games in 2020 4 years away from 2020, South America is 8 years, Europe 12 years, Oceania 24 years and North America 28 years, North America will be getting the 2024 games, Europe is still in a big mess which wont be fix any time soon. The IOC is made up of 50% from Europe and 50% from not from Europe the IOC is not an old boys club from Europe any more and some of the IOC members in Europe will vote for an non Europe have you ever thought about it, The IOC will keep on moving away from Europe more in hosting the Olympics Games in the future we could see 24 years without an games in Europe in the future the Olympics Games are now a really global event and not a European event.

There will be more Olympics Games away from Europe the Olympics is now an global event and look at the picture Asia last games in 2020 4 years away from 2020, South America is 8 years, Europe 12 years, Oceania 24 years and North America 28 years, North America will be getting the 2024 games, Europe is still in a big mess which wont be fix any time soon. The IOC is made up of 50% from Europe and 50% from not from Europe the IOC is not an old boys club from Europe any more and some of the IOC members in Europe will vote for an non Europe have you ever thought about it, The IOC will keep on moving away from Europe more in hosting the Olympics Games in the future we could see 24 years without an games in Europe in the future the Olympics Games are now a really global event and not a European event.

I disagree. There is still high interest from Europe for a Summer Olympic Games, with Rome, Italy wanting the Games and also Paris, France and Germany wanting the Games. I guarantee they won't have 3 Non-European Games, in fact, after Rio 2016 and Tokyo 2020, they won't have 2 Non-European Games for a while, every other Summer Olympics will be in Europe. 2024 will come to Europe (with Rome, Italy), 2028 will go to Africa (with Durban, South Africa), 2032 will come to Europe (with Paris, France OR Germany) and 2036 will be North America with it being New York City VS Toronto.

North America is not going 40 years with out an Summer Games I could see Europe hosting the 2028 games, The IOC will be going back to it's money bags for 2024 games and Los Angeles will be a nice clean games bring it back to stability and Los Angeles is the 3rd richest city in the world 28 years with out an games in North America it is time to go back there again and after they go to Japan the IOC they love to go to North America after Tokyo 64 - Mexico 68, Sapporo 72 - USA 1976 and Nagano 98 - USA 02.

North America is not going 40 years with out an Summer Games I could see Europe hosting the 2028 games, The IOC will be going back to it's money bags for 2024 games and Los Angeles will be a nice clean games bring it back to stability and Los Angeles is the 3rd richest city in the world 28 years with out an games in North America it is time to go back there again and after they go to Japan the IOC they love to go to North America after Tokyo 64 - Mexico 68, Sapporo 72 - USA 1976 and Nagano 98 - USA 02.

I still disagree. I am 99.9 per cent sure Europe will get the 2024 Summer Olympics. North America will get the Games in 2036 when it will be New York City VS Toronto.

IMO, Durban would be more suitable for the 2028 Summer Olympics, and Cape Town for the 2022 Commonwealth Games. I'm sure Singapore will put forward a Bid before the deadline aswell.

By 2017 we could be looking at a sequence of Tokyo followed by Oslo. Rio will be done and dusted and will hopefully be a huge success. By then, stability might not be the watch word as it has been in recent races with Sochi and Rio looming large, protests in Istanbul in the lead up to the 2020 race, and a thin 2022 field.

The IOC might feel, with RIo and Sochi out of the way and a series of safer hosts on the horizon, they're willing to take a bit of a risk again for 2024. That could play into South Africa's hands if they can put in a strong bid.

IMO, Durban would be more suitable for the 2028 Summer Olympics, and Cape Town for the 2022 Commonwealth Games. I'm sure Singapore will put forward a Bid before the deadline aswell.

don't you think cwg is way too big for a "island nation" like singapore i mean i know singapore is building their sporthub for the sea games in 2015 but for a event like cwg i'm sure you'll need more than that right???

Archived