2022 Commonwealth Games

runningrings

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bids are due in March. Idk its a very tight time frame.

If Singapore Bids, the Bid would probably be planned for the Games to be centred around the Singapore Sports Hub.

You can't say that for sure. If there are no bids, there are no bids.

Right now London or Toronto are probably the only two cities that could realistically throw the event the event a lifeline.

South east Asia too surely?

What about South East Asia? The only real options- even in a downsized mode- are Malaysia or Singapore. I'm doubtful Singapore has any plans (we would have heard something by now) and Malaysia is quiet.

The vague cycle the CWG follows indicates it's the absence of a Canadian and new frontier South African bid that is taking its toll. Without those two it's simply too big a task for the remaining countries to shoulder. If it weren't for the Queensland Govt, this problem would have hit home sooner when the CGF would have had to award Hambantota by default- not a good sign.

It's clear cities just can't see the benefit of hosting the event.

Well if you look at the history of the games it's hardly like they ever have an overflowing line of bidders?

From memory manchester and melbourne were both single candidates?

I don't think much has changed to be honest.

I didn't think Manchester was the sole bidder? Melbourne was, after Wellington dropped out, and Singapore has also expressed interest in 2006- but nothing came of it.

Point is- back then there was at least one or two to get to the final stage of bidding, right now there are zero places (feasible or not) even expressing interest in bidding. Things are not looking good.

RE: Manchester sole bidder for 2002. London bidding against Manchester to be England's candidate city for 2002. Sheffield also bidded - but didn't make it to the final vote.

As far as I know, no city from any other country bidded for 2002 - and it seems like the CGF designated it to occur in England to coincide with the 2002 Golden Jubilee. Similar in a way to how the USOC decided 1984 by choosing between NYC and LA.

I wonder how different things might have been if London hosted the 2002 CwG?

What mistake? If they're the only ones interested, there's no choice but to give it to them based on their 2018 bid and don't have them do the paperwork and save some money.

But as long as there's another bidder, Hambantota would need to go through the whole process of trying to convince us again.

You can't say that for sure. If there are no bids, there are no bids.

Right now London or Toronto are probably the only two cities that could realistically throw the event the event a lifeline.

Toronto might not be bad call, actually - infrastructure could well be there from next years PanAmericans. Wonder if it might be better going forward if there was some sort of 'understanding' on regional rotation and each 'area' kind of accepted it was their 'turn', I fear Delhi spooked some countries out of going back to Asia, but A singapore games could be fantastic if done properly.

I think London would only come in as a VERY last resort - but if absolutely necessary to save the thing, they probably would. You need Ireland back in to get a Dublin bid going! ;-)

I mentioned earlier that London would be your fall back city...interesting if QEII is still alive.

I think the CGF is painfully aware of a South African bid and if a city was to finally front then all focus would shift overwhelmingly to Africa and the massive voting block it, Asia and Oceania would be a part of...But only if SA fronts.

By now NZ would've fronted with something, although we could see something come up over the Sochii Olympics in a fortnight.

Funny someone mentioned a welcome back Ireland with Dublin...Considering we are fast approaching the 100 anniversary of the bloody uprising that would overthrow British rule and leave Eire dismembered...I doubt it very much...Ouch!

Could you imagine Clover Moore fronting a Sydney games?

*Firstly, the Queen's Baton has got to go its neocolonial and not Sydney - Sydney 2022 will have Clover's Baton.

*All sports replaced by different mediums of art.

*Athletes (artists) must ride into the stadium (the Spiegeltent) in designated bike lanes!

*Small bars are not the problem!

lol

Wasn't Clover totally against Sydney bidding for 2000, and was highly critical of the event itself.

Wasn't Clover totally against Sydney bidding for 2000, and was highly critical of the event itself.

Just had a look at her archives - nothing too imflammatory I could find. She was only the state member for the Darlo-Paddo belt then. Main thing I could was a speech calling for protection of rental tenant's rights during the games.

Remember when she got rid of the Christmas decorations?

Archived