2022 Commonwealth Games

runningrings

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When Durban firms up an official bid then everyone else might as well put their cards down. South Africa is of course AFRICA.

If not, its Asia's turn (India doesn't count) and Singapore should step up. IMO, NZ blew it for 2018 so unless the next three slots fail to produce something different but also obvious, wont see the kiwi baton running around before 2034.

• 1 month later...

Might be a good way to go - if it shifts Olympic intentions to 2028.

Perhaps a Durban Olympics in 2028 - and maybe J'burg or Cape Town for the CwG 2022?

Very doable timeframe - although at this point I can't help but feel that a Commonwealth Games in 2022 could steal (even slightly) the thunder (or even the 'virginity') of a South African Olympics.

Might be a good way to go - if it shifts Olympic intentions to 2028.

Perhaps a Durban Olympics in 2028 - and maybe J'burg or Cape Town for the CwG 2022?

Very doable timeframe - although at this point I can't help but feel that a Commonwealth Games in 2022 could steal (even slightly) the thunder (or even the 'virginity') of a South African Olympics.

I think putting the CWG in the city they intend to bid with for the Olympics is smarter. It would start the process of putting in the infrastructure and spreads out the spending.

True - but I tend to feel that the CwG are best served on the shoulders of the legacy of the Olympics - not the other way around. Similar to the idea of London 2030 - and not the other way around. A set of post-Olympic venues sets the scene for a near effortless CwG. A few weeks back I was looking at old microfilm newspapers from 1998, and Jeff Kennett (then Premier of Victoria) mentions in an article that 2006 was 'now or never' for a Melbourne Commonwealth Games, because if it lets it pass Sydney would surely be ripe to take out a following edition with its 2000 venues (I'm assuming he was possibly referring to a Sydney 2010 bid).

True - but I tend to feel that the CwG are best served on the shoulders of the legacy of the Olympics - not the other way around. Similar to the idea of London 2030 - and not the other way around. A set of post-Olympic venues sets the scene for a near effortless CwG. A few weeks back I was looking at old microfilm newspapers from 1998, and Jeff Kennett (then Premier of Victoria) mentions in an article that 2006 was 'now or never' for a Melbourne Commonwealth Games, because if it lets it pass Sydney would surely be ripe to take out a following edition with its 2000 venues (I'm assuming he was possibly referring to a Sydney 2010 bid).

And those are for countries that have hosted the Olympics before. Others (which have't hosted an event of this calibre) use other multi-sporting events to prove the IOC that they are worthy of hosting the Olympics. (For example Rio and the Pan Ams). I think the CWG would have a similar impact on a South African bid for an Olympics.

Thats true - I hadn't considered the Brazilian example.

However - I'm still wondering of 2022/24 back-to-back might be a stretch? Although certainly not impossible - given that the South African Olympic Committee oversees their Commonwealth Games bids, organisation of the two events could be partially embedded together - perhaps one overaching Durban major events committee overseeing the 2022 CwG and 2024 Olympics/Paralympics. Two birds, one stone.

Thats true - I hadn't considered the Brazilian example.

However - I'm still wondering of 2022/24 back-to-back might be a stretch? Although certainly not impossible - given that the South African Olympic Committee oversees their Commonwealth Games bids, organisation of the two events could be partially embedded together - perhaps one overaching Durban major events committee overseeing the 2022 CwG and 2024 Olympics/Paralympics. Two birds, one stone.

I think 2022/2028 or 2032 is a better goal.

+ There is no way the IOC awards the event to Durban after CWG is awarded, knowing how difficult it is for Brazil to cope with two large events.

Thats true - I hadn't considered the Brazilian example.However - I'm still wondering of 2022/24 back-to-back might be a stretch? Although certainly not impossible - given that the South African Olympic Committee oversees their Commonwealth Games bids, organisation of the two events could be partially embedded together - perhaps one overaching Durban major events committee overseeing the 2022 CwG and 2024 Olympics/Paralympics. Two birds, one stone.

South Africa's achille's heel already is that there is a large group of people ready to write off any Olympic ambitions as irresponsible. Personally, I think the fact they have a good foundation of Olympic-capable facilities existing in Durban does make it feasible and justifiable. But asking them to replicate a lot of that from scratch in a different city for a CWGs IS irresponsible IMO. I think a CWGs would be a perfect proving event in Durban in the lead up to an Olympics, as the Pan-Ams were to proving Rio's capability.

• 1 month later...

Cardiff unlikely to bring 2022 Commonwealth Games bid forward

Commonwealth Games
22 January 2014 Last updated at 14:05 GMT
Cardiff is unlikely to step in to host the 2022 Commonwealth Games after the BBC revealed that no one had bid for the event.
The city council and Welsh government are conducting a feasibility study on whether to aim for the 2026 Games.
But when asked if they would bring that bid forward four years, the council said not unless there was a significant change to the study's timetable.
The deadline for 2022 bids is the end of March.
The council said no decision would be made until after this year's Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, which is being held in July - which is four months past the deadline for 2022 bids.
"The Welsh government is taking the lead in exploring the feasibility of a bid for the 2026 Games and Cardiff council is assisting in this process," a Cardiff Council spokesperson said.
'Only opportunity'
"However, we understand that no decision will be made on whether there will be a bid until after the Commonwealth Games to be held in Glasgow in 2014 has been evaluated, so it is too early for us to go into any detail at this stage."
The Welsh government has been asked to comment.
After Glasgow, the Games will move to Australia's Gold Coast in 2018.
However, there are fears for the event's long term future if a bidder for 2022 is not forthcoming.
"It would be devastating for Welsh sport if there were no Commonwealth Games," Anne Ellis, president of the Commonwealth Games Council for Wales, said.
'A real blow'
"This is the only opportunity for many Welsh athletes to compete at a world level, including able-bodied and disabled athletes together.
"It would be a real blow if there were no bids for 2022."
Ms Ellis was keen for Cardiff to host the Games, but wanted to see the feasibility study.
"My heart tells me that Wales ought to have the Games, but we would want all of Wales behind it," she said.
"I am very conscious of the other side of the coin, especially at a time of cuts to council services."
Glasgow 2014 has a budget of around £470m, compared with the £8.92bn budget London had to host the Olympics in 2012.
Cardiff last held the Commonwealth Games, then called the Empire Games, in 1958.

The last time we had a "Not Interested" was for 1986, and Edinburgh stepped in. If we are left in a "default" situation, then London will have to host. We are just on six weeks for bidders to raise hands...But the CGF must use plain common sense and prehaps delay applications deadline until Glasgow. Kind of neat actually if it was allowed.

In NZ there is a push for Christchurch to be the country's bid city if no one is fronting, which means South Africa.

The last time we had a "Not Interested" was for 1986, and Edinburgh stepped in. If we are left in a "default" situation, then London will have to host. We are just on six weeks for bidders to raise hands...But the CGF must use plain common sense and prehaps delay applications deadline until Glasgow. Kind of neat actually if it was allowed.

In NZ there is a push for Christchurch to be the country's bid city if no one is fronting, which means South Africa.

If no one steps up I can see Malaysia or Singapore being asked

If no one steps up I can see Malaysia or Singapore being asked

If that is the case, I would rather see Singapore being asked for these reasons:

1) Malaysia hosted the Games in 1998 in Kuala Lumpur.

2) Singapore has better transport infrastructure.

3) Singapore's Venues are more up to date.

If that is the case, I would rather see Singapore being asked for these reasons:

1) Malaysia hosted the Games in 1998 in Kuala Lumpur.

2) Singapore has better transport infrastructure.

3) Singapore's Venues are more up to date.

Singapore would be a great host city and the best bet for an Asian host - wouldn't feel risky sending it there.

Maybe it's all a cunning plan - I still think London will try and hold out for 2030 to host the centenial, so force them to step in for 2022 and that opens it up for elsewhere to host 2030!

What about Toronto? Given that 2024 is off, and an Olympic bid potentially out til 2032, a Commonwealth hosting to compliment 2015 could give the city an enviable portfolio.

Interesting. The government rejected a bid though (it was in Shooting Canada's report).

And the Pan Am Venues except athletics would be sufficient enough. Only sticking point is that athletics venue. Where would it go??

Interesting. The government rejected a bid though (it was in Shooting Canada's report).

And the Pan Am Venues except athletics would be sufficient enough. Only sticking point is that athletics venue. Where would it go??

New stadium for Toronto's master plan: Pan Ams 2015, Commies 2022, World Cup 2026, Olympics 2032.

Archived