2022 Commonwealth Games

runningrings

Now THIS would be a welcome development:

Singapore Sports Hub will provide us with facilities to host Commonwealth Games, says Ng Ser Miang

Singapore's $1.3 billion (£812 million/€1 billion) Sports Hub currently under construction in the Southeast Asian island city-state will provide it with the capacity to bid for a host the Commonwealth Games in the near future, International Olympic Committee (IOC) vice-president Ng Ser Miang has claimed.

Construction on the giant 35-hectare Singapore Sports Hub began in September 2010 with the facility scheduled to open in April next year.

It will include a new 55,000 capacity National Stadium with a retractable roof, a 3,000-capacity indoor Aquatic Centre, a 3,000-capacity multi-purpose Indoor Arena and the existing 13,000-capacity Singapore Indoor Stadium.

Construction on the Sports Hub began just one month after Singapore successfully hosted the inaugural 2010 Summer Youth Olympic Games, where Ng served as President of the Organising Committee.

The Singapore Rugby Union has already announced it plans to launch a bid to host the 2018 Rugby World Cup Sevens at the new National Stadium.

It is unclear as to whether Singapore would look to bid for the 2022 Commonwealth Games or whether they will position themselves for a later bid in 2026.

The deadline for Commonwealth Games Associations and candidate cities to notify the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) of intention to bid for the 2022 edition of the event will be due either in March or April 2014.

A host city is due to be elected by the Commonwealth Games Associations at the CGF General Assembly at the end of 2015.

They will follow Glasgow in Scotland, who are hosting the 2014 Commonwealth Games, and Gold Coast in Australia who are staging the 2018 edition of the competition.

At present, London appears one of the front-runners for the event after senior Government figures and the city's Mayor Boris Johnson said they would support a bid using the facilities put in place for the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.

However, the decision to bid must be made by Commonwealth Games England (CGE), who are currently debating whether to move for the event or not.

Other potential bids could come from South Africa, Sri Lanka, Canada and New Zealand, although all those countries have been quiet in recent months despite having all expressed an interest in bidding for the 2022 Commonwealth Games in the past.

Insidethegames

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you saying you have to have everything in place and up to capacity before you can bid for something?

When it comes to aquatics, Sydney's and London's aren't either, without games time temporary seating. I don't think even the biggest swimming nations (like Oz) can justify aquatics centres with 10,000+ seating for a once in a blue moon event.

As to stadiums - I'm sure they can also expand, temporary or not, if they need to.

That's like saying Toronto could never stage an Olympics because Pan-Am requirements are not up to Olympic requirements. Or that Auckland, Durban etc can never bid because they don't have capable or high enough capacity stadiums ready to go right at the moment.

Singapore's one country I'd have no doubts at all about their ability to stage the Commies.

Perhaps its already quietly been arranged? Maybe the Welsh are wiser, knowing that 2022 could front bids from Asia, Africa or Canada and NZ. London might not be the shoe in we all think. I could see a city like Durban or Vancouver or Singapore having the ability to undo even a solid London bid (although it would be tough).

Vancouver may have the venues. They could also propose using their convention center for some indoor sports too and propose to build a Main Media Centre turned office space.

But do they need a legacy athletics facility (even if it's say proposed at 25,000 (BC Place for ceremonies), to be downsized), aquatics center or velodrome?

The arena and aquatics centre are short of CGF requirements though.

The aquatic centre could be used for diving while a temporary outdoor pool could work for swimming.

The new smaller arena could work for weightlifting or another sport. The main Indoor Arena will host gymnastics/basketball final.

So anyone have any idea when bids are due for 2022?

Early next year

The deadline for Commonwealth Games Associations and candidate cities to notify the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) of intention to bid for the 2022 edition of the event will be due either in March or April 2014.

From the Singapore article above.

• 3 weeks later...

I guess so. Considering the deadline is March/April 2014 they might have a bid race like 2014 to pick the city.

Not that much time to prepare then. If Canada's going to go for it, there surely must be some city waiting in the wings.

I'd love Halifax to try again, just to piss off certain Nova Scotians.

I'd love Halifax to try again, just to piss off certain Nova Scotians.

<_< WhooooOOOOoooo Rols?...da da daaaa!

I dunno if Halifax would want to stick it's head up ever again...Love to see Hamilton or Ottawa be Canada's candidate, if it were to succeed then London would be a shoe in for 2030.

• 3 weeks later...

Wasn't Toronto gonna host 1942 or 46?.

With Olympic dreams, why bother. But Victoria does show you how ' lite' you can go, although we might not want to see that again.

Ottawa would be fun. Toronto is certainly missed from the CWG host city role call. Probably up there with Singapore and Cape Town as the most obvious C'wealth cities not to have hosted. I somewhat wish Toronto were hosting the 2018 CWG and not the 2015 Pan Ams.

2018 does seem nice and would have done the same thing the Pan Ams are doing (proving that the city does have the capability to host the Olympics). Though, waiting for 2018 might have caused the government to support the Universiade bid from Edmonton for 2015, effectively ending a 2018 bid.

• 3 weeks later...

In terms of the bidding and hosting of major international events, Sam touched on the possibility of lodging a bid for the 2022 Commonwealth Games. We must soon decide whether we want to host the Commonwealth Games. England and Singapore are already making inquiries about 2022 and we need to establish our position. Certainly, at government level, it seem there is enthusiasm at this prospect. In his keynote address Deputy Sports Minister Mr Gert Oosthuizen said: Bidding procedures go through Director-General of Sport and we will then take it through the relevant channels up to Cabinet level. We must bid for the 2022 Commonwealth Games. We cant let opportunities like these go by and we await your letter for application to host the Games.

Source:http://www.roadtorio.co.za/2013/09/01/sam-urges-sa-sport-onwards-to-2016/

http://www.thenewage.co.za/mobi/Detail.aspx?NewsID=106019&CatID=10Meanwhile, Oosthuizen said government would also support a possible bid for the 2022 Commonwealth Games. Sascoc president Gideon Sam had told the organisation's members earlier in the AGM they needed to decide whether to bid for the quadrennial multi-sport event before it was too late. "I expect this AGM to take a resolution and we will take it to cabinet," Oosthuizen said. "There is no way we will not allow you to do this."

Source:

Archived