2022 Commonwealth Games

runningrings

Do the CWGs have a whole set of test events of venues the year before, like the Olympics and FIFA?

No, I don't recall any of that happening in the lead up of the 2006 Commonwealth Games in Melbourne. I guess the CGF looks at past sporting experience as a defining factor.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, the potential list of 2022 candidates is quite impressive, and certainly counters any claim that the CWG is flailing - although questions of irrelevancy could still be raised.

The last part of your sentence is what raises concern, this is the reason why New Zealand keeps deferring on hosting what is now a Billion dollar event.

The original criteria for the CWGs were to connect those nations of the English speaking world - then Empire and United States. The US still has an open invitation to attend. (so does Eire)

A London hosting would recharge the event, but really, what is needed is a review of sports events...I would've love to see Rowing return, as well as Yachting. They are on the list. Other sanctioned sports - Tenpin bowling, Darts, Table tennis and Snooker would be great infillers for popularity. There are ten core sports that are compulsory - but one, Lawn Bowls, really is out of place in what is suppose to be a more spritely tournament.

Both Glasgow and Gold Coast are working on formulas that are making the CWGs more affordable...London has the potential to blow that out the window.

I believe that 2022 Bidding is going to be a rather full on competition if what is reported happens.

We are looking at London, Singapore, Edmonton, Cardiff, Durban head to head. All very capable cities.

If London gets the go ahead by England CGF it will really raise the stakes...But it would've been nice to see another secondary city front up for England.

Didn't Cardiff said that they preferred to bid for 2026? (or did they changed their minds?).

The race surely looks far more interesting than the boring and predictable previous two races (come on, we all knew Glasgow and Gold Coast would nail it. It took away all the excitement :lol: ) All of them look very prepared, and with the experience of the 2012 olympics still present in many, I think the british city will probably be the favorite one to get it.

If the Centennial of the Olympics couldn't even be staged in Athens, then I don't see why Canada should wait until 2030 to host.

If Canada stepped up to 2022, even with London in the race, I'd support them, as they haven't hosted since 1994. I'd like to see the next Canadian Games in Ontario (Toronto, Hamilton, Ottawa, etc..) or the Maritimes (Halifax). Its a shame that there would be zero (obvious) interest from Quebec, i think a Montreal Commonwealth Games would be a breath of fresh air. They were slated to host 1942 - but it was cancelled due to war.

If the Centennial of the Olympics couldn't even be staged in Athens, then I don't see why Canada should wait until 2030 to host.

If Canada stepped up to 2022, even with London in the race, I'd support them, as they haven't hosted since 1994. I'd like to see the next Canadian Games in Ontario (Toronto, Hamilton, Ottawa, etc..) or the Maritimes (Halifax). Its a shame that there would be zero (obvious) interest from Quebec, i think a Montreal Commonwealth Games would be a breath of fresh air. They were slated to host 1942 - but it was cancelled due to war.

How is it a shame? (lol). If they don't want to host then they can't be forced too. Considering the Maritimes are the only region of Canada to not host, Halifax is the obvious choice. However with the 2014 disaster idk where they stand. Ottawa could be unique too and they have made noise about bidding.

How is it a shame? (lol). If they don't want to host then they can't be forced too. Considering the Maritimes are the only region of Canada to not host, Halifax is the obvious choice. However with the 2014 disaster idk where they stand. Ottawa could be unique too and they have made noise about bidding.

Its a shame because its the second largest French speaking city in the world - and it would demonstrate that not all of the Commonwealth is Anglophone. It covers colonies of former Dutch, Spanish and French colonies - which have barely been represented by the usual suspects of hosting.

Its a shame because its the second largest French speaking city in the world - and it would demonstrate that not all of the Commonwealth is Anglophone. It covers colonies of former Dutch, Spanish and French colonies - which have barely been represented by the usual suspects of hosting.

<_< Well...it is, historically, a British Empire/Commonwealth event...Go back a page, explaination is there.

<_< Well...it is, historically, a British Empire/Commonwealth event...Go back a page, explaination is there.

Well damn me for suggesting something different. If you're happy / or think the event will survive on Australia/UK and the occasional Canada/NZ , then you're not being realistic. This event needs to cater to its potential hosts, not the other way around. It would be facing cancellation right now if it weren't for Australia and the UK picking up the slack.

Fair point. It would just be odd to show off English colonial past in a large French city.

Anyways the recent games in India and Malaysia showed the reach of the former British empire.

Well damn me for suggesting something different. If you're happy / or think the event will survive on Australia/UK and the occasional Canada/NZ , then you're not being realistic. This event needs to cater to its potential hosts, not the other way around. It would be facing cancellation right now if it weren't for Australia and the UK picking up the slack.

Jeez you really are wound up!! <_< ...is a certain debate on the 'Generals' page getting to you?

The CWGs really only have eight nations that could afford to host them, they aren't cheap to run...India completely tripped over trying too hard. I have no problem with Ottawa hosting them, along with Halifax, those cities just got to want to host them. As for variety, yes I would love to see more nations in, especially the United States, Eire, and some of the Emirates, and wouldn't be great if a special Hong Kong team be allowed to compete.

As a side...France has it's own version of the CWGs, the Francophone Games for all those French Speaking/colonised nations/territories and Canada does participate in those.

Jeez you really are wound up!! <_< ...is a certain debate on the 'Generals' page getting to you?

The CWGs really only have eight nations that could afford to host them, they aren't cheap to run...India completely tripped over trying too hard. I have no problem with Ottawa hosting them, along with Halifax, those cities just got to want to host them. As for variety, yes I would love to see more nations in, especially the United States, Eire, and some of the Emirates, and wouldn't be great if a special Hong Kong team be allowed to compete.

As a side...France has it's own version of the CWGs, the Francophone Games for all those French Speaking/colonised nations/territories and Canada does participate in those.

Don't be such a sh!t-stirrer - it isn't a good look. I am wound up over a discussion in the generals page, given that it involves suggestions of eradicating over a billion human beings? It's foul.

As for the topic at hand - I reacted in such a way because you made a backhanded comment to me over my reasonable discussion over a potential hosting of Montreal. My point stands - if interest from Montreal was shown (which I doubt there would be) would the CGF knock them back based on the fact it would be a bilingual event? I think not. It would offer refreshing variety. I well know the event its traditionally the British Empire Games, but since the 1970's the CGF has moved progressively further away from this definition, and has even seen the inclusion of non-British Empire colonies.

Don't be such a sh!t-stirrer - it isn't a good look. I am wound up over a discussion in the generals page, given that it involves suggestions of eradicating over a billion human beings? It's foul.

As for the topic at hand - I reacted in such a way because you made a backhanded comment to me over my reasonable discussion over a potential hosting of Montreal. My point stands - if interest from Montreal was shown (which I doubt there would be) would the CGF knock them back based on the fact it would be a bilingual event? I think not. It would offer refreshing variety. I well know the event its traditionally the British Empire Games, but since the 1970's the CGF has moved progressively further away from this definition, and has even seen the inclusion of non-British Empire colonies.

Rwanda and Mozambique with more potential applicants like Cambodia.

My comment wasn't backhanded - It holds some thruth...the CWGs are a 'British' event. Montreal was always seen as the 'French' city, Quebec almost another country.

My comment wasn't backhanded - It holds some thruth...the CWGs are a 'British' event. Montreal was always seen as the 'French' city, Quebec almost another country.

I was responding more to the way you delivered your comment. As I mentioned previously, the event has moved away more and more from its "Britishness" since the 1970's. Montreal hasn't always been seen as a French city either, it had quite a substantial and strong Anglophone community up until recent decades - I believe prior to WW2 (when it was awarded the 1942 Games), English was the language most spoken in the city, it was only in recent decades that many street names went back to their colonial era French spelling. Maybe you'd have a point about Quebec City, but Montreal still has a strong British heritage and tradition.

What struck me most about MTL when I was there in 2009, was that even though French is now the overwhelmingly dominant language, and North American culture plays a big role in the life of the city - it still felt very English, a bit like Christchurch or Melbourne.. and aside from the language itself, I'd even go as far as saying it had as much of a British/North American feeling to it as much as it was French. All this considered - I doubt a CWG bid would be well received - but I disagree with you that if the will was there, it couldn't happen due to be being a "French" city.

If, say, London and Cardiff wanted to bid would they both be able to? Would the government back both, or would we choose between the two bids before they go to the CWGF? Sorry if this is a silly or obvious question.

If, say, London and Cardiff wanted to bid would they both be able to? Would the government back both, or would we choose between the two bids before they go to the CWGF? Sorry if this is a silly or obvious question.

It's a good question . My feeling is that as separate nations (in CGF speak) both Cardiff and London could compete against each other. Perhaps the British Government could provide "support" to both bids, evenly, and equal support offered behind either in the event they are successful. Leave it to the respective cities to fluff things up further. Cardiff would have benefit of the Welsh assembly (I'm not well versed on funding in the UK) ?

Technicalities aside, it would be fun and unique to see cities from the same "country" competing against each other.

I'm sure the British government would "support" both bids on paper at the very least since they would only have to provide their share of the funding to one winner only, assuming of course one of them wins.

The bid phase would source funding locally, from a wide variety of sources and not the British government.

I'm sure the British government would "support" both bids on paper at the very least since they would only have to provide their share of the funding to one winner only, assuming of course one of them wins.

The bid phase would source funding locally, from a wide variety of sources and not the British government.

The trouble is, which one do they give the funding to for the bidding process? There's no way escaping taking the bill twice over that - it's not an Oly bid, but it still doesn't come cheap. Of course, they'd look for ab it from the corporate sector, but the Govt would have to take care of the basic costs.

And who'll be the Royal patron. I suppose Charles would support Cardiff as Prince of Wales, but who will support London?

Seriously, though, I'd imagine a "gentlemen's" agreement would be worked out - one would go for one bid, the other trying the nxt if the first tilt fails.

Anyway, I thought Cardiff's intention was 2026.

Perhaps its already quietly been arranged? Maybe the Welsh are wiser, knowing that 2022 could front bids from Asia, Africa or Canada and NZ. London might not be the shoe in we all think. I could see a city like Durban or Vancouver or Singapore having the ability to undo even a solid London bid (although it would be tough).

Archived