2022 Commonwealth Games

runningrings

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope London doesn't bid for the 2022 CWGs. I'd much rather see another English regional city go for it such as Birmingham or Sheffiled. In fact its rediculous that Sheffiled doesn't bid. Its has a load of world class venues from the 1991 World Student games. After the amount of debt they got into, they should make those facilties work for them now. In fact the City is due to pay off the WSG debts in 2022! In the meantime they're closing Don Valley Stadium which is such a waste. its 25000 capacity but could easily be expanded to 40K. A Yorkshire CWG would be cool!

Shefield Popn about 600,000

2011ln0.jpg

Shefield Arena:

d350381f-ef67-4fb8-942c-d07c869be13b.jpg

Ponds Forge International Aquatics Centre:

ponds-forge-olympic-swimming.jpg

Don Valley Athletics stadium

sheffield_don_valley2.jpg

.. :huh: .I thought Shefield was destroyed during the 1984 nuclear war...oh wait a minute...that was a movie <_<

Good point Ripley...This London hoarding everything buzz will soon wear off over time...But when it comes to cost v benefits, London is safe hands. Still to see another city, Shefield, getting exposure is what the Commys are about. Worked for Manchester, suddenly there was more to see in that city apart from the two Football teams.

:) I can see a Yorkshire CWGs...Just have to get used to the 'up-nor't' accents

• 2 weeks later...

What about Jamaica and the Caribbean?

Kingston could make an exciting and unique revisit - perhaps 2026? The Commonwealth Stadium from the 1966 Games still exists, and could make a fitting venue. Given the power of Jamaica at the Games, could there be the interest and the will? Kingston is now a city of over 1 million.

Independence_Park.jpg

1966 was a different era and different scale of games, though. Considering the combined west indies had a hard enough time organising the Cricket WC just a few years ago, and Jamaica's one of the poorest of the Caribbean states nowadays, I just can't envisage it any time soon.

You do seem to like these new frontiers for the sake of new frontiers, R-Rings!

1966 was a different era and different scale of games, though. Considering the combined west indies had a hard enough time organising the Cricket WC just a few years ago, and Jamaica's one of the poorest of the Caribbean states nowadays, I just can't envisage it any time soon.

You do seem to like these new frontiers for the sake of new frontiers, R-Rings!

Share the love! Especially with the CWG, where supply is limited. The Games should work harder to allow itself to cater to small, more limited hosts. I see no reason why we can't have more Victoria 1994 scale Games. I think the gradual increase in size from KL, Manchester, Melbourne and Delhi scared off a few of these potentially smaller, non-usual hosts.

Hopefully the smaller scale of Glasgow and Gold Coast makes the even more appealing again.

And then, Jamaica 2026. ;)

Share the love! Especially with the CWG, where supply is limited. The Games should work harder to allow itself to cater to small, more limited hosts. I see no reason why we can't have more Victoria 1994 scale Games. I think the gradual increase in size from KL, Manchester, Melbourne and Delhi scared off a few of these potentially smaller, non-usual hosts.

Hopefully the smaller scale of Glasgow and Gold Coast makes the even more appealing again.

I agree, if any of the big Games roster can be scaled back - as we saw with Victoria - it's the Commies. But I honestly don't think scaling back is enough to make Jamaica a viable host again any time soon.

I agree, if any of the big Games roster can be scaled back - as we saw with Victoria - it's the Commies. But I honestly don't think scaling back is enough to make Jamaica a viable host again any time soon.

The Manchester '02 model was seen as the best format for the games - but Glasgow is a new direction and one to watch. The GC is looking to enhance this using facilities avalible...Remember that Delhi went way over the top in building Olympic sized facilities to "impress the rest". - epic fail.

:huh: One concern I have is why we now need to build a small "eco-sustainable" town to be the athletes village! This is where Delhi really fell down. Unless you need a new stadium, there is no reason to use your biggest football/rugby facility for ceremonies. Most Commonwealth members have an average sized athletics stadium tucked out of the way on a campus somewhere, no real need to build a mega-stadia for what is a one-off event for most CWGs members.

:( Sadly we all here want to see countries hosting the games who simply cannot afford them...And that cost whittles potential hosts down to UK, Can, Aus, NZ, SA, Malaysia, Singapore...

True at that...But what we see is the natural cycle of 'we can do it bigger and better' than the last guys. The sports are managable, where it gets expensive is in facilities and infrastructure, the concept of the Village is simple team management in the age before the era wireless interconnectivity. Then you get all the commentators and hanger on'ers boasting what a wonderful games they are and how will such and such in four years time be able to top this??? This thinking came to a head in 2010. It's about the people, Beijing '08 had the most expensive event but London '12 the most spectacular...all because of the people.

Jamaica, problems aside, would make a great host as a central venue of a wider West Indies CWGs. You don't need a large all for one village, especially when the islands are covered in good hotels.

• 2 weeks later...

Britain's Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport Maria Miller has promised that she would support a bid from London for the 2022 Commonwealth Games.

The Greater London Authority made clear their intention to host the event last month as the Mayor's Olympic legacy adviser Neale Coleman revealed the city is looking to use the facilities in place from the Olympics and Paralympics last year to bid for the 2022 Commonwealth Games.

Commonwealth Games England (CGE) have welcomed the move as a positive step and high-profile support from the Culture Secretary means the bid appears close to getting the green light from Government.

"I think we have been incredibly successful at securing a whole range of international sporting events as a result of the huge success of the 2012 Olympic and Paralympics," Miller told insidethegames.

"My colleague [sports Minister] Hugh Robertson is absolutely focused in on making sure we continue to grow that list of blue-ribbon events.

"We know we can stage we can stage great athletics and other sporting events in this country and we will continue to look at other opportunities to bring more sporting competitions such as that [the 2022 Commonwealth Games] to this country."

http://www.insidethegames.biz/commonwealth-games/2022/1013766-exclusive-culture-secretary-supports-plans-for-london-2022-commonwealth-games-bid

The momentum for a London bid for 2022 appears to be increasing. I'd be very surprised if London decided not to bid.

If South Africa throws Durban into the mix, London will be beaten on Africa, Asia and Oceania's block votes. The Commonwealth has been holding out for SA to bid since it's re-entry in 1993.

I think London would have a significant chance to stage 2022, but you are right, South Africa has potential for a big London upset. We might see the South Africans decline an Olympic bid in favour of testing the waters with the CWG.

Quite frankly, I think Durban really ought to have put itself forward for 2018, it would have been perfect - and paved the way for a 2024 or 2028 Olympic bid.

Quite frankly, I think Durban really ought to have put itself forward for 2018, it would have been perfect - and paved the way for a 2024 or 2028 Olympic bid.

Oh yeah...for some dumb reason Africa seemed to think Sri Lanka was going to be successful, also there were payback chips to pay out for Fifa2010 support. They could have had 2014, but turned Cape Town down because Nigeria fronted up with Abuja. Another Fifa2010 vote buy.

Oh yeah...for some dumb reason Africa seemed to think Sri Lanka was going to be successful, also there were payback chips to pay out for Fifa2010 support. They could have had 2014, but turned Cape Town down because Nigeria fronted up with Abuja. Another Fifa2010 vote buy.

No one knew SL was bidding until the official word came from the CGF after the deadline. So that is not an excuse.

No one knew SL was bidding until the official word came from the CGF after the deadline. So that is not an excuse.

:mellow: You know I think South Africa don't really care about hosting the CWGs when they know they are fully capiable of hosting an Olympics...why bother when larger fruit are ripe for picking.

• 3 weeks later...

Do the CWGs have a whole set of test events of venues the year before, like the Olympics and FIFA?

Yeah, but manly Swimming, and Athletics. More calibration tests of equipment than anything else. Of course national body events would use the facilities as they come on line...

Freakishly before the 2006 CWGs, the freshly completed running track in the MCG was promptly covered over in turf for the cricket season, and uncovered a couple of months before to allow track meets as a build up to the games.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that 2022 Bidding is going to be a rather full on competition if what is reported happens.

We are looking at London, Singapore, Edmonton, Cardiff, Durban head to head. All very capable cities.

If London gets the go ahead by England CGF it will really raise the stakes...But it would've been nice to see another secondary city front up for England.

Archived