London to bid for 2022 Commonwealth Games

The Olympic Stadium could form the centrepiece of London's bid to

host the 2022 Commonwealth Games, ITV News London can exclusively

reveal.

Boris Johnson's Olympic legacy adviser Neale Coleman told ITV News:

"It is a fantastic event, it brings people together in a unique way and

we do have the facilities there that would make a bid for that

possible."

A deal to install West Ham as the principal tenant is also expected to be confirmed this week.

The agreement with West Ham will also allow the £429m stadium to host Rugby World Cup matches in 2015.

Olympic Stadium timeline

ITV News London has learned that it's going to be a busy few years in the Olympic Park:

• A new roof will be completed by 2015
  • Rugby World Cup matches may be played there in 2015
  • Retractable seating will be built for West Ham football matches
  • West Ham will move in by the beginning of the 2016 season
  • It will host the 2017 World Athletic Championships
  • London will bid to host the 2022 Commonwealth Games

But taxpayers face another large bill to convert the 80,000-seat

venue into a 60,000-seat football ground. The construction work will see

the stadium get a new roof between now and 2015.

Following the rugby tournament, further work will be needed to install retractable seating over the athletics track.

ITV

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, that's it. If London proceeds with a bid for. 2022 - it's theirs. I can't see the CGF turning down the premier city of their sphere .

It's bound to be an amazing event like none ever before seen in the Commonwealth. Despite the prestige of London, it still doesn't resolve the fact that of the six Games held since 2002, five have been held in either the UK nations or Australia.

Despite the prestige of London, it still doesn't resolve the fact that of the six Games held since 2002, five have been held in either the UK nations or Australia.

And that's going to be the weak spot that anyone bidding against them will have to concentrate on.

The other thing is, IF Durban (or somewhere else in South Africa) decide to bid, I think they still might be able to trump London in terms of being able to "tick off" Africa finally for the CWGs.

And that's going to be the weak spot that anyone bidding against them will have to concentrate on.

The other thing is, IF Durban (or somewhere else in South Africa) decide to bid, I think they still might be able to trump London in terms of being able to "tick off" Africa finally for the CWGs.

Especially with the African bloc holding the most votes.

An interesting, but I don't think particularly surprising, development. Quite apart from maintaining the Olympic legacy, it seems to me to be wholly unrealistic for any other British city to mount a bid for the Commonwealths at the moment. Personally, I would prefer us to wait for 2030, particularly if there are good bids emerging elsewhere.

I'm still hoping we might see a London V Durban V Singapore race - THAT would be Olympic class!

Meanwhile:

Cardiff will not alter plans to bid for 2026 Commonwealth Games because of London, they claim

March 19 - Commonwealth Games Wales chief executive Chris
Jenkins has claimed Cardiff will continue with the plans to mount a bid
for the 2026 Commonwealth Games despite London announcing their
intention to host the event four years earlier.

The Mayor of London's Olympic legacy adviser Neale Coleman revealed
yesterday that the city is looking to use the facilities in place from
the Olympics and Paralympics last year to bid for the 2022 Commonwealth
Games.

The announcment comes with Cardiff still conducting a feasibility study on hosting a potential 2026 Commonwealth Games.

The study has been on-going for a number of years but a successful
London 2022 bid could fatally hurt them due to the close proximity to
the English capital to Cardiff.

The UK is already set to host the
Commonwealth Games next year with Glasgow 2014 while the Gold Coast in
Australia will stage the 2018 edition of the event.

But Jenkins,
who is also a member of the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF)
Executive Board, claimed plans have not yet been altered by London's
interest in 2022.

"We are still in the middle of our feasibility
study for the 2026 Commonwealth Games and I have instructed that to
continue," Jenkins told insidethegames.

"The feasibility
study looks closely at the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games and how much
economic impact it has on the area because we would look to be hosting
an event of similar size and scale.

"The results of that
obviously won't be completed until the conclusion of Glasgow 2014 so we
don't expect them until late 2014 or early 2015.

"Only after that can we make a real decision on the 2026 Commonwealth Games but it definitely remains a target for us.

"London is also at a very early stage as nothing is officially right now.

"It is still just speculation.

"London still needs to officially bid and then they need to win that bid for it to become a major factor.

"But even if London is successful, a Cardiff bid could still also be successful if it was strong enough.

"So we are continuing along unaffected."
The CGF have welcomed the initial interest from London but have also
stated that the process still has some way to go, with the winner of the
2022 bid race not due to be announced until their General Assembly in

"The CGF welcomes interest from cities who aspire to
hosting the Commonwealth Games, and London has great venues and
experience," the CGF head of communications Peter Murphy told insidethegames.

"However a decision on the host city for 2022 will not be made until 2015."

Singapore might be an issue their venues are smaller then what the CGF requires for some.

Details, shmetails. Do you think the Gold Coast had everything in place when they bid and won (or even have everything sorted yet?).

Anyway, just about every story on the 2022 race mentions Singapore is expected, or at least hoped, to bid. And the CGF has made no bones about the fact they want them to bid.

Details, shmetails. Do you think the Gold Coast had everything in place when they bid and won (or even have everything sorted yet?).

Anyway, just about every story on the 2022 race mentions Singapore is expected, or at least hoped, to bid. And the CGF has made no bones about the fact they want them to bid.

Yes but Gold Coast has the space to put in new venues and such. Singapore is very full as is. Not discounting them at all though.

Yes but Gold Coast has the space to put in new venues and such. Singapore is very full as is. Not discounting them at all though.

They're not that built-in. Singapore island actually is quite spacious with heaps of greenery and room to move. It's hardly an Asian Vatican City!

I suppose so but is there an a will to build more sporting venues??

Yes, THAT's the big question. Thing is with Singapore, I've no doubt they could do whatever they set their minds to. But when it comes from bidding for the big events, they've always stepped back when push comes to shove in the past. But they've had the YOGs now, though, which may have signalled a change (which is probably why the CGF is so keen and putting pressure on them).

Yes, THAT's the big question. Thing is with Singapore, I've no doubt they could do whatever they set their minds to. But when it comes from bidding for the big events, they've always stepped back when push comes to shove in the past. But they've had the YOGs now, though, which may have signalled a change (which is probably why the CGF is so keen and putting pressure on them).

They also have the 2015 Southeast Asian Games when their new start of the stadium will be ready. Though who wins London or Singapore?? Glasgow would impact London more so then Delhi on Singapore.

:huh: Africa Cup?

London hasn't hosted the CWGs since 1934...and even then it was as London's usual role of 'Stand In' thanks to South Africa's then racist policies. England has only ever hosted the event twice.

Archived