2022 Commonwealth Games

runningrings

Just imagine. I personally would have supported London due to Melbourne's more recent hosting. It would have been more intense then lets say 2020

Thats just it, the Commonwealth covers some of the most amazing cities around the world. We haven't really ever had them go head to head for the event, but the potential is there. Imagine a Vancouver, London, Singapore, Cape Town face off for 2022 - would be more exciting than the Olympic race for 2020, IMO.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats just it, the Commonwealth covers some of the most amazing cities around the world. We haven't really ever had them go head to head for the event, but the potential is there. Imagine a Vancouver, London, Singapore, Cape Town face off for 2022 - would be more exciting than the Olympic race for 2020, IMO.

You can't forget Hambantota LOL.

All are major event hosters in 2010/2012.

Thrown in an New Zealand bid too.

^^ London?

But would the Londoners want something less than the grand 2012 Olympics they've hosted this year?

No reason why not. You can't underestimate the enthusiasm generated among the general public by the success of 2012. The London Olympic stadium is hosting the IAAF Athletics World Championships and the IPC (Paralympic) Athletics World Championships in 2017, so a London 2022 Commonwealth Games should offer cast-iron success from a financial and spectator perspective.

The question is whether after Manchester 2002 and Glasgow 2014, the Commonwealth Games Federation would want to hold another games in the UK in 2022.

Welcome to the forums Chafford1 ! :)

It remains to be seen just how capable QEII Olympic Park will be with regard to hosting a major multi-sport event in future. The central concourses are being reduced in size to make way for more greenery and housing. I can't imagine huge crowds in the North of the Park after 2014.

It may well be the case that if the Park were to host a CWG, it would effectively be split in two during Games-time.

Those with athletics and swimming tickets might not be allowed free access to the North of the Park, as they were during the Games, only to the stadium, aquatics centre and and the immediate confines.

In other words, only those with tickets for the three smaller venues in the North of the Park would be able to access the Northern Parklands.

Just thinking out loud....It's probably not as easy an operation for London as some are making out.

No reason why not. You can't underestimate the enthusiasm generated among the general public by the success of 2012. The London Olympic stadium is hosting the IAAF Athletics World Championships and the IPC (Paralympic) Athletics World Championships in 2017, so a London 2022 Commonwealth Games should offer cast-iron success from a financial and spectator perspective.

The question is whether after Manchester 2002 and Glasgow 2014, the Commonwealth Games Federation would want to hold another games in the UK in 2022.

Well for CWG purposes England and Scotland are considered different.

Welcome to the forums btw!

Yeah, but those events you mentioned (like the IAAF World Champs) aren't in the same scale as the Commonwealth Games.

London will still need to spend millions maybe a 100+ million Pounds or so just to stage the event. The only legacy venue being perhaps a lawn bowls centre. At any rate, would Londoners and the general English public want to finance (in part) such an event? An event that's lesser than the Olympics?

Yeah, but those events you mentioned (like the IAAF World Champs) aren't in the same scale as the Commonwealth Games.

London will still need to spend millions maybe a 100+ million Pounds or so just to stage the event. The only legacy venue being perhaps a lawn bowls centre. At any rate, would Londoners and the general English public want to finance (in part) such an event? An event that's lesser than the Olympics?

Nothing's on the same scale as the Olympics but I believe the general public has an appetite for these type of events. The cost will be a fraction of that required to stage the Olympics.

Yes, but it will still cost something. a 200 million Pounds or so, not exactly loose change.

Imagine this:

5-10 million for a bid.

50 million for operational costs.

20 million for security.

60 million for a village.

30 million for temporary renovations of existing venues.

10 million for new venues and temporary ones.

40 million for ceremonies.

100 million for marketing (which pays for itself).

230 million Pounds right there around 500 million dollars. And remember, these figures usually fluctuate and become much higher when the Games come.

I dunno if people would get 'sick' of a regular major hosting of any event...Australia and UK (as a whole) will have twelve years sncro hosting...06-18 and 02-14 respectivley. A whole generation of athletes are usally ready by the next time around... There are only four serious Olympic hosts in the Commonwealth - three have multi hosted already, the fourth - SA, may not be that far away. So the CWGs are an easy mid-size fit.

Can see Canada, South Africa, England, and Sri Lanka fronting up for '22...possible Wales, if London isn't, doubtfull on New Zealand - it's just not on the nation's radar for now, maybe 2026...(moving into America's Cup mode at the moment)

• 2 weeks later...

K

UALA LUMPUR: The World Taekwondo Federation (WTF) has set a lofty goal to make sure taekwondo be contested for the first time at the 2022 Commonwealth Games, said its president Dr Chungwon Choue.

As an early pathway to be listed in the Games, he said WTF would showcase taekwondo as a demonstration sport during the 2014 Olympic Youth Games in Nanjing, China.

"Jade Jones of Wales had won the gold medal in the women's 57kg category during the recent London Olympics and her country is among Commonwealth nations...so we see this as a strong point for us to see taekwondo being included in the 2022 Commonwealth Games," he told Bernama during an exclusive interview during his three-day visit to Malaysia, at Wisma Bernama, here recently.

Currently, taekwondo which has its origin in South Korea is being contested in the Asian and Olympic Games. The Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) has yet to decide the host for the 2022 Commonwealth Games.

Chungwon said the sport should be contested in the games as it has about 70 million practitioners across the globe and 204 member nations.

Sharing the same hope was the CGF President, Tan Sri Tunku Imran Tuanku Ja'afar who hoped that the sport would be well-received among the CGF members in the future. "We should also showcase taekwondo as a demo sports during the Commonwealth Youth Games before we introduce the sport in the 2022 Commonwealth Games.

"The number of athletes from Commonwealth nations that won the gold medal in London recently has increased and I have no doubt that the sport will be contested in the Commonwealth Games," said Tunku Imran who is also the Olympic Council of Malaysia (OCM) President and Taekwondo Malaysia President.

Read more:WTF seeks Taekwondo inclusion in 2022 Commonwealth Games - Latest - New Straits Timeshttp://www.nst.com.my/latest/wtf-seeks-taekwondo-inclusion-in-2022-commonwealth-games-1.201753#ixzz2IZtRqWx9

• 3 weeks later...
This looks as if it is building up a head of steam.

Exclusive: UK Sport chair would back London bid for 2022 Commonwealth Games

By Tom Degun

February 10 - UK Sport chair Baroness Sue Campbell has become the latest high profile figure to back a bid from London to host the 2022 Commonwealth Games.

Following the huge success of the London 2012 Olympics and Paralympics, UK Sport unveiled their Gold Event Series which looks to bring more major sporting events to Britain over the next decade.

The 2022 Commonwealth Games is now starting to emerge as a real option for London, with the majority of facilities in place following the Olympics and Paralympics, while the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF), whose headquarters are based in the capital, have indicated they would very much welcome a bid from the city.

"I think any international major event we can attract to the UK is a great thing," Campbell told insidethegames.

"We must remember that we have all still got Glasgow 2014 to look forward to which I think is incredibly exciting, particularly in the way that it will be building off London 2012.

"I know that everyone in Scotland will make that a huge success.

"But if there is an opportunity to bring the Commonwealth Games back to the UK in 2022, that can only be a good thing.

"So my immediate reaction is that I'm fully behind it.

"But I know that he, along with everyone at UK Sport, is keen to bring as many major sporting events as possible to these shores and the Commonwealth Games is obviously one of the biggest events out there."

Baroness Sue Campbell has backed Glasgow 2014 to be a major success, and says she would support a bid from London to host the Games eight years later in 2022

The backing of Campbell, who is also Youth Sport Trust chair, comes after Sports Minister Hugh Robertson and Sport England chief executive Jennie Price both told insidethegames they would be behind any bid for the event.

After Glasgow 2014, Gold Coast in Australia will host the 2018 edition of the Commonwealth Games.

England last staged the Commonwealth Games in Manchester in 2002 in one of the most successful editions of the event in history.

Birmingham and Sheffield have both expressed an interest in bidding for the 2022 Commonwealth Games but should London move for the event, it is unlikely that any other bid would be able to match them in terms of technical infrastructure, although the international bidding process will not officially begin until 2014.

Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, Singapore and Sri Lanka are other countries currently considering bids, but it remains to be seen if they will put forward formal proposals to the CGF when the process opens.

I think 2022 might be too early - but then again, this is the CG and we can't be too fussy.

If Canada doesn't step in with a claim, or hosts earlier, I think London might make a great location for the Centennial Games in 2030 - by that time QE2 Olympic Park would probably need some minor refurbishments.

I think 2022 might be too early - but then again, this is the CG and we can't be too fussy.

If Canada doesn't step in with a claim, or hosts earlier, I think London might make a great location for the Centennial Games in 2030 - by that time QE2 Olympic Park would probably need some minor refurbishments.

Only 18 years after? Do you mean temporary venues?

I do think London 2030 makes sense, and IMO that should then be the kick start to begin thinking for the Olympics once again. "Once in a lifetime" it may be but if we don't bid for another 50 years we won't have a chance of winning them for anothe 50 years, so I do think come the 2040s London 2012 will be distant enough for a new bid to be at least considered, but recently enough for the goodwill still to be there.

:) The idea of London hosting the Olympic again late this century is utterly plausable...and probibly will happen even if Manchester hosts them somewhere mid century.

The CWGs on the other hand may not be around...best to get in now for 2022 or 2026 if SA bids an Olympics.

Tuesday Talk - Edmonton Eyes 2022 Commonwealth Games

CREDIT: AROUND THE RINGS.

(ATR) Intergovernmental & External Affairs Executive Director Candice Stasynec tells Around the Rings "event hosting got embedded into who Edmonton is and what we value" with the 1978 Commonwealth Games.

2qnkl53b.1q0.jpgCandice Stasynec is a regular at the SportAccord Convention.

In this wide-ranging interview conducted ahead of the 2013 SportAccord Convention, she also touches upon possible bids for the 2014 U-20 FIFA Women’s World Cup, future youth or junior world championships in athletics and more.

Around the Rings: What role is Edmonton playing with regard to the 2013 SportAccord Convention in St. Petersburg, Russia?

Candice Stasynec: We are a silver sponsor with an exhibit stand, and we’ll be the sponsor of the Sport Demo Zone.

ATR: What will your exhibit in St. Petersburg entail?

CS: The focus will be on basically upcoming events. Our whole reason for being at SportAccord is to raise the awareness of our city as a potential host city for events, and in this case for sporting events. So that’s what takes us to SportAccord.

I attended the first SportAccord, and I think I’ve missed one along the way. We find that it’s been a really important opportunity for positioning and for networking, of course.

ATR: I know Edmonton hosted the Commonwealth Games in 1978 and is a regular host of curling events, but what else has the city staged over the years?

d00ybfzc.ans.jpgEdmonton is a frequent stop for the ITU World Triathlon Series and will stage the 2014 Grand Final. (Getty Images)

CS: We’ve been staging a whole variety of events from athletics to triathlon to baseball, soccer, cycling, rugby, skating. So for example, in 2013, we’re hosting, of course, a curling event, the Brier, in March; we’ve been building an athletics competition called the Edmonton International Track Classic; we have been and will be the host of triathlon’s ITU World Cup. We were just awarded the Grand Final in 2014.

We’re hosting the Canadian Women’s Open Golf Championships this summer. This year will be the inaugural event of the Tour of Alberta, a six-day cycling race that will start in Edmonton.

So we pursue and have hosted a variety of events.

We’ve hosted the Summer Universiade; we’ve hosted the 2001 World Championships in Athletics; we’re a host city for the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup. Last April, we hosted the men’s water polo Olympic qualifying tournament.

We host a variety of events.

ATR: Is Edmonton currently bidding for any major events?

5rtf0505.3hx.jpgWomen's 100m hurdles at the 1978 Commonwealth Games. (Getty Images)

CS: We are looking at a variety of things. For example, we have been pursuing the 2022 Commonwealth Games. We don’t know about that. We understand our federal government isn’t going to financially support a bid from any Canadian city, but we are still carrying on discussions about “OK, could we bid on that event perhaps with the province and municipal government funding it?”

We are looking at a major initiative with Canada Basketball that would see Edmonton becoming the home of basketball in Canada, so a national training center. We continue to work on that initiative and are in discussions with our municipal and provincial governments about funding for that. That’s a little bit of a different take on an event. It’s more of a national training center approach with events to follow.

We are still in pursuit of the 2014 U-20 FIFA Women’s World Cup. There are going to be four Canadian host cities named for that, and we expect that announcement to be made in March.

We have had discussions about one of the youth or junior world championships in athletics for a later year, maybe 2017 or 2019.

Those are a couple of things that we are pursuing.

ATR: In terms of a potential bid for the 2022 Commonwealth Games, would that reuse a portion of the 1978 venues? What sort of construction would that require?

CS: The city owns and operates the two principal legacy venues from that experience: Commonwealth Stadium, which is a 60,000-seat outdoor, artificial turf stadium; and our aquatics facility.

So the city has continued to invest in those facilities and keep them up – constant renovations so they’re both at international standards for events.

0bop2gas.i2h.jpgThe Kinsmen Sports Center and Aquatics Facility in Edmonton hosted the 1991 Pan Pacific Swimming Championships. (Getty Images)

In the case of a Commonwealth Games bid or a Universiade bid, a multi-sport bid, we would plan to use those facilities and do the minor renovations that might be required. Those facilities have served us really well, and we look to them to continue to serve us well over the next couple of decades.

Commonwealth Stadium will be the site of the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup matches, and the Kinsmen Sports Center and Aquatics Facility was the site of the men’s Olympic qualifying tournament last April. We’ll continue to pursue aquatic events, which are high on our list of potential events.

ATR: What makes Edmonton such a good host of sports events?

CS: I guess there’s a bunch of things. Event hosting got embedded into who Edmonton is and what we value early on with the Commonwealth Games. We’ve developed a facility for hosting events. We’ve got really well qualified community leaders, volunteers, staff at various facilities and venues. We just get it.

After 2001, actually we hosted both the World Championships in Athletics and the Triathlon World Championships in the same year virtually a month apart, we developed an approach in the municipal government of a one-stop shop for the planning and provision of city services, so event organizers often tell us it’s really easy to plan and host an event because we’ve aligned ourselves in a way to make it easy.

The municipal, provincial and federal governments have supported our desire to have events in Edmonton financially and otherwise. So we’ve built a niche around hosting events, and it’s worked very well for us and we’re continuing to invest in event planning and hosting. We created a long-term events strategy a year ago. We’re in the process of implementing that, so we see Edmonton as being a bit of a center of that current for sports events, and we hope that’s how others see us.

Interview conducted by Matthew Grayson

What is interesting is that she mentions that the Canadian government is not interested in funding the 2022 Commonwealth Games. The last cycle was 2008-2018 and the government agreed to fund two major sporting events per decade (so the Pan Ams and the Olympics). The next cycle is 2019-2029. If the rejection happen I am thinking there have been some preliminary discussions about a Toronto 2024 bid that the government has decided to support instead of the 2022 CWG.

:huh: Going by the talk here and news reports...It looks like six cities are wanting to have a go...and a good spread. Even more so is the 2026 event, not even on the CGF radar yet.. Considering the 2012 Olympics were a very successful 'Commonwealth Games' event in results. Its not surprising the enthusisum for a multi-sports event hosting is popular for now...

But all it takes is for a double-dip reccession to kick in again, then enthusisum will wane.

:unsure: I hope NZ is in there somewhere. The Government is looking at another Auckland task bid for '22...But the national passion is for Christchurch to host something big and that means 2026.

Archived