2022 Commonwealth Games

runningrings

So if Cardiff also bids, we're gonna get a Battle of the River Severn.

Looks like since Manchester, England's become the CWG's "new frontier" stepping up to the plate.

i don't get your comment here Rol's, since the 1930's England has only ever hosted once in 2002 and has only bidded with Manchester

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i don't get your comment here Rol's, since the 1930's England has only ever hosted once in 2002 and has only bidded with Manchester

I should have been clearer. I just meant, that after having never hosted (apart from London in the 30/), since Manchester (and I guess it might even increase after London's Olympics) there's been a few English cities musing about bids. Stepping up to the plate was probably too strong a term. More t hat English cities seem a lot more interested in the Commies now.

Sorry dude, i get ya now :)

Yeah i think having seen the London games, alot of English cities now want similar - knowing that the Olympic Games are abit ambitious, the Commies seem right for alot of them.

Mayoral candidate Marvin Rees has promised to bid for the Commonwealth Games to come to Bristol in 2022 or 2026 if he is elected.

Brizzle eh? A nice little city with a decent sized airport and historical interest obviously.

One of the last places I'd think of in the UK when I think of sports though. What facilities does it have?! It'd require a masive amount of investment, political will and it would have to overcome cities like Cardiff before it even got a chance to bid against International cities.

I'd be amazed if this was a goer. Bristolians want new stadiums for their football teams. Not sure quite where the CWGs fits into this.

Weird, left-field bid and I'm not quite sure what to make of it. Seems like political posturing at this stage from a wanabee Mayor.

I've thought lately that if somewhere like Cardiff or even Glasgow hosted the 2002 Games that 2014 would have been great in London. It would have worked well in the downsized park, and help further the 'legacy' of 2012.

Four slight problems with that...

1. The downsized park isn't due to open until Spring 2014.

2. The stadium won't be reopen by then.

3. We're expecting a new park in a year and a half, not another site in security lock-down which nobody can access.

4. Give us some time to recover from London 2012, and give the world a chance to see something new!!!

Apart from that it would've been great ;)

Of course, if London had won the CWG for 2014, the legacy planning would've looked a lot different so points #1 and #2 are not necessarily relevent. But points #3 and #4 would still be valid. That part of the capital will have been a no go area for a decade by 2014. Keeping it under lock down for an extra two years will suit nobody.

Wasn't sure where to post this - it's about Britain's aspirations for event hostings over the next few decades, bhut seeing as we mentioned English CWGs bids recently, and this explicitly mentions that, thought it flowed on from discussion here:

Bids for major tournaments being considered in multi-million pound plan

HAVING aimed to 'inspire a generation' at the Olympics and Paralympics the Government is considering bids to host 36 major championships over the next six years.

SPURRED on by the success of the Olympics and Paralympics, the Government is considering backing a bid to host the semi-finals and final of football's European Championships in 2020 - while a number of British cities may bid for the Commonwealth Games in the next decade.

UK Sport have announced a £27million campaign to bring 36 world and European championships to Britain over the next six years, including bids for the Paralympics world athletics championships and the European swimming championships.

Sports minister Hugh Robertson said the Government would also consider a bid should moves to set up a European Olympic Games be successful.

Robertson confirmed the Government had already held talks about supporting a possible bid to hold the climax of football's Euro 2020 in London with the final at Wembley Stadium.

UEFA will wait until the outcome of next year's 2020 Olympic bid before deciding on the bidding process for the Euros because Turkey and Istanbul are in the running for both. The FA have already expressed their interest to UEFA president Michel Platini in hosting the semi-finals and finals if the tournament is, as has been suggested, spread across Europe.

Robertson said: "We have discussed it internally and it is difficult to make any progress on that until the 2020 Olympics is decided. If it were to become available we would give it very careful consideration."

The minister did however rule out any thoughts of bidding again for the football World Cup after the disastrous failure of England's 2018 bid.

He added: "All those of us who went through that experience are scarred as a result of it. I still don't understand how you can put together a technical bid that was judged so far in front of anyone else's and still only get one vote apart from your own.

"FIFA needs to reform the way it does these things and we need to have a better relationship with FIFA otherwise I'm not sure the result would be any different."

UK Sport's Gold Series Event will use £27million of Lottery money over the next six years to attract top sporting events to the country. The campaign aims to bring more than 70 sporting events in total to the UK, including the 36 world and European championships.

Liz Nicholl, UK Sport chief executive, said: "UK Sport is building on the success of London 2012 and supporting the UK's ongoing legacy goals. The continued hosting of world class events supports our athletes' performance ambitions, provides a unique platform to inspire participation, and allows sport to contribute towards the economic growth agenda."

Simon Morton, UK Sport's director of major events and international relations, said "several British cities" could be interested at bidding for the Commonwealth Games in the 2020s.

He also revealed that the £269million Olympics Aquatics centre would not be able to host the world swimming championships because 15,000 of the 17,500 seats will now be removed to make a much smaller venue.

Morton said that as a result, the European Championships was the largest swimming event that the aquatics centre could bid for.

Daily Record

• 2 weeks later...

November 23 - Britain's Minister for Sport Hugh Robertson admitted he would love to see the Olympic and Paralympic Games return to London in the near future but said that such a scenario is unlikely to happen.

The Sports Minister also admitted that he would like to see the Commonwealth Games staged in England at some point in the next 20 years but said that like the Olympics and Paralympics, it could be a difficult event to secure.

"The Commonwealth Games are obviously in Glasgow in 2014 and then it is the Gold Coast in 2018 so the next bidding possibility is 2022," he said.

"On that issue, we would first have to look at who is bidding for it.

"Again, I am a huge supporter of the Commonwealth Games and have been involved in several Commonwealth Sports Ministers meetings.

"So I would love to see the Commonwealth Games come here.

"But with the Commonwealth Games, the same sort of logic applies as it does with the Olympics in that it is an event that moves around the world.

"I think there will be quite a lot of countries that might look at a Commonwealth Games bid as a way of teeing up a future Olympic bid.

"So I would be very surprised if the competition in 2022 and 2026 wasn't very tough indeed."

full article

http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympics/summer-olympics/2012/1011787-exclusive-i-would-love-olympics-to-return-to-london-soon-but-it-may-not-be-possible-says-sports-minister

I think Canada might be out!

http://webcache.goog...chrome&ie=UTF-8

I liked Halifax 2014, before they bailed out. It was nice and mostly compact, with most venues scattered around the city in a 10 km radius, only having the likes of Mountain Biking and so forth outside the city.

Will we ever see a bid from them again? Otherwise, I'd like to see Ottawa bid, with Gatineau, Quebec serving some venues. A 30,000-40,000 seater legacy national stadium would be built in a proposed Commonwealth Games Park, alongside a national arena, aquatics center and velodrome. Then you use the wealth of venues in both cities, with a proposed convention center serving Gatineau, to "compete" with Ottawa's convention center.

There is too much politics for a Canadian bid.

Toronto could bid and host relatively easily. But I think Rogers (which would be a key partner) would probably like to wait a little bit more for the Skydome to age some more. The preferred scenario is that a new stadium is built on the waterfront with a 40,000 capacity that temporarily hosts baseball until Skydome is torn down and rebuilt as a baseball/concert specific venue with a capacity in the high 30,000.

Also Toronto Council and the COC now realize that what they did with the Pan Am Games was a huge mistake and they should have pressured the Ontario Government to concentrate the venues in Toronto.

Than you have the chance that if Toronto was to host 2015, 2022 and by a miracle get 2028 you will get hosting fatigue.

So in the end, Toronto is out.

Ottawa is the next option. Problems are in the form of it being its the biggest village in the world. It does not think big. It took 2 decades to get Frank Clair Stadium redeveloped. It would also mean a bi-provincial undertaking. There is no way something in Ottawa would not also have events in Gatineau/Hull. The Ontario problem also comes up. If there was a successful Olympic bid later, there would be a lot of whining about the amount of events in Ontario.

This leaves Calgary.

Toronto could bid and host relatively easily. But I think Rogers (which would be a key partner) would probably like to wait a little bit more for the Skydome to age some more. The preferred scenario is that a new stadium is built on the waterfront with a 40,000 capacity that temporarily hosts baseball until Skydome is torn down and rebuilt as a baseball/concert specific venue with a capacity in the high 30,000.

Also Toronto Council and the COC now realize that what they did with the Pan Am Games was a huge mistake and they should have pressured the Ontario Government to concentrate the venues in Toronto.

Than you have the chance that if Toronto was to host 2015, 2022 and by a miracle get 2028 you will get hosting fatigue.

Off course Toronto is out. I think after the Pan Am's their focus will be an Olympic Games.

Majority of the new builds are in Toronto. Toronto was not going to cover any extra costs so they had to move the venues around. At the end of the day regardless of the Pan Am Games a new velodrome for ex. would have to be built even if one was built in Toronto proper (as its too small).

Ottawa is the next option. Problems are in the form of it being its the biggest village in the world. It does not think big. It took 2 decades to get Frank Clair Stadium redeveloped. It would also mean a bi-provincial undertaking. There is no way something in Ottawa would not also have events in Gatineau/Hull. The Ontario problem also comes up. If there was a successful Olympic bid later, there would be a lot of whining about the amount of events in Ontario.

This leaves Calgary.

Gatineau is getting a new arena, there's a start. A proposed convention center of around 6,000-10,000 sqm could host 1 or 2 indoor sports. Why not have shooting events held there too if Ottawa lacks an existing shooting venue. You have events like the marathon, walks and road cycling passing through both cities.

Gatineau is getting a new arena, there's a start. A proposed convention center of around 6,000-10,000 sqm could host 1 or 2 indoor sports. Why not have shooting events held there too if Ottawa lacks an existing shooting venue. You have events like the marathon, walks and road cycling passing through both cities.

Ottawa just got a new Convention centre (or renovation of it) two years ago.

So, Toronto 2015 isn't coming up as helpful to a future olympic bid as it was the case with Rio de Janeiro or the city is just saving its ammo and some of the 2008 blueprints to olympic plans?

Well a Pan American Games with a widespread venue plan is successful then imagine a compact venue plan in Toronto for an Olympic run.

The only new venue I think that has a remote chance of being used is the BMX Track.

However the Olympic Games require training venues and there will be a plethora of them around the Toronto Area which can be something of great help for the city.

==========

Back on track I think RSA will win if they bid especially considering Africa is the largest bloc.

^^ And by say 2022, there could be the justification of having another convention centre in the region in Gatineau.

The twin cities of Minneapolis-St Paul both have their own large capacity arenas, as well as their own convention centers. I don't see this as a problem for Ottawa and Gatineau.

It looks like Ottawa's Convention Centre can at most host 1 or 2 indoor sports (if shared) at level 3 (seating around 4,000-5,000).. As such, this venue could instead serve as the Main Media Center, offering around 15,000 sqm of useable space.

• 1 month later...

Support growing for London 2022 Commonwealth Games bid

December 28 - Sport England chief executive Jennie Price claims that she would fully support a bid from the country for the 2022 Commonwealth Games following the inspirational effect of the London 2012 Olympics and Paralympics.

After London 2012 proved arguably the greatest Games in history, UK Sport unveiled their Gold Event Series which looks to bring more major sporting events to Britain over the next decade and the 2022 Commonwealth Games is now starting to emerge as a real option for London, with the majority of facilities in place following the Olympics and Paralympics.

The Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF), whose headquarters are based in London, are understood to be hugely impressed with the 2012 Games and they would undoubtedly welcome a bid from the city.

And any potential bid would now have a high profile supporter in the Sport England chief executive.

"I think what the Olympics and Paralympics demonstrated is that bringing sport into Great Britain and into our environment where people can see it easily, relate to it and feel part of it is the most fantastic thing for sport," Price told insidethegames.

"It really does have an inspirational effect.

"After the Games, we had sports clubs across the country with young people queuing up outside.

"That really is testament to the inspirational power of the Games.

"So if we could have another injection of that inspiration in the form of another major multi-sport Games; that would be wonderful."

Price's comments come after Sport Minister Hugh Robertson also admitted he would be interested in bidding if he thought London could put up a competitive bid against other international competition.

"The Commonwealth Games are obviously in Glasgow in 2014 and then it is the Gold Coast in 2018 so the next bidding possibility is 2022," Robertson told insidethegames.

"On that issue, we would first have to look at who is bidding for it.

"I am a huge supporter of the Commonwealth Games and have been involved in several Commonwealth Sports Ministers meetings.

"So I would love to see the Commonwealth Games come here.

"But with the Commonwealth Games, the same sort of logic applies as it does with the Olympics in that it is an event that moves around the world.

"I think there will be quite a lot of countries that might look at a Commonwealth Games bid as a way of teeing up a future Olympic bid.

"So I would be very surprised if the competition in 2022 and 2026 wasn't very tough indeed."

England last staged the Commonwealth Games in Manchester in 2002 in one of the most successful editions of the event in history.

Birmingham and Sheffield have both expressed an interest in bidding for the Games.

Should London bid for 2022, though, it is unlikely that any other bid would be able to match them in terms of technical infrastructure, although the international bidding process will not officially begin until 2014.

Canada, New Zealand South Africa, Singapore and Sri Lanka are other countries currently considering bids but it remains to be seen if they will put forward formal proposals to the CGF when the process opens.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/commonwealth-games/2022/1012249-exclusive-support-growing-for-london-2022-commonwealth-games-bid

Gosh, London bidding in 2022 would simply gazump all other candidates - just on the Olympic legacy alone...and you know where most of it will be hosted...

South Africa has long been seen as the overdue host for the CWGs but then they already have 2024 OSGs in their sights. NZ, no chance untill 2026 and there is a strong groundswell of support for a rebuilt Christchurch to host them...yikes.

Still it looks like a log jam for the 22 and 26 editions based on geography alone.

Gosh, London bidding in 2022 would simply gazump all other candidates - just on the Olympic legacy alone...and you know where most of it will be hosted...

South Africa has long been seen as the overdue host for the CWGs but then they already have 2024 OSGs in their sights. NZ, no chance untill 2026 and there is a strong groundswell of support for a rebuilt Christchurch to host them...yikes.

Still it looks like a log jam for the 22 and 26 editions based on geography alone.

I think RSA is more likely for 2022 then 2024 WOG's.

I think London is the perfect candidate for 2022

^^ London?

But would the Londoners want something less than the grand 2012 Olympics they've hosted this year?

Imagine this:

60,000 seater "Olympic" Stadium for athletics and ceremonies (although if they wanted a bigger ceremonies, they can easily do with Wembley).

2,500 seater London Aquatics Centre (which would probably be temporarily expanded (I doubt that it will remain as 17,500) to at least 10,000) or an alternative venue if this cannot be done.

6,000 seater velodrome.

5,000 seater hockey stadium, expanded to 10,000 seater.

ExCeL will host a majority of indoor sports, as well as the Main Media Centre.

- Badminton

- Boxing

- Table Tennis

- Squash

- Weightlifiting

12,500 seater Wembley Arena for Netball finals.

20,000 seater O2 Arena for Basketball finals and Gymnastics.

Royal Artillery Barracks for shooting events.

One of London's smaller stadiums or Wembley Stadium could be used for Rugby 7's.

A venue will be needed for lawn bowls.

There's probably some sports I've left out, but you get the idea, it'll be a needless event that's less than the Olympics.

Well if Wembley is used for ceremonies, then it could double as the Rugby 7's venue. It has hosted Rugby in the past.

Why would it double up? It can be left in the ceremonies format for the cc which is only about 10 days later. Twickhenam is already a rugby venue so overlay would be low.

Using the Glasgow sports program here is what I suggest for London:

Aquatics (Swimming/Diving) - London Aquatics Centre (6,000 w temporary seating)

Athletics/Opening/Closing Ceremony - Olympic Stadium (60,000)

Badminton - Wembley Arena (6,000)

Boxing - Excel (7,500)

Cycling - track - Velodrome (6,000)

Road - London streets

Mountain biking - Hadleigh Farm

Field Hockey - Eton Manor (7,000 w temporary seating)

Gymnastics - 02 Arena (20,000)

Judo - Excel (7,500)
Lawn Bowls - Somewhere not sure lol

Netball - Handball Arena (6,500)

Rugby Sevens - Twickenham (82,000)

Shooting - Royal Artillery Barracks (6,000)

Squash - Excel (7,500)

Table tennis - Excel (7,500)

Triathlon - Hyde Park

Weightlifting - Excel (7,500)

Wrestling - Excel (7,500)

The only flaw is no new venue would have to be built meaning no legacy.

Using the Glasgow sports program here is what I suggest for London:

Aquatics (Swimming/Diving) - London Aquatics Centre (6,000 w temporary seating)

Athletics/Opening/Closing Ceremony - Olympic Stadium (60,000)

Badminton - Wembley Arena (6,000)

Boxing - Excel (7,500)

Cycling - track - Velodrome (6,000)

Road - London streets

Mountain biking - Hadleigh Farm

Field Hockey - Eton Manor (7,000 w temporary seating)

Gymnastics - 02 Arena (20,000)

Judo - Excel (7,500)

Lawn Bowls - Somewhere not sure lol

Netball - Handball Arena (6,500)

Rugby Sevens - Twickenham (82,000)

Shooting - Royal Artillery Barracks (6,000)

Squash - Excel (7,500)

Table tennis - Excel (7,500)

Triathlon - Hyde Park

Weightlifting - Excel (7,500)

Wrestling - Excel (7,500)

The only flaw is no new venue would have to be built meaning no legacy.

I doubt legacy would be important if it is building upon the legacy of a previous, larger event.

I think London could do it. Sure, the Commonwealth Games are not the Olympics, but they are still large and exciting, and would make the legacy of the 2012 Olympics even greater. Go for it, may the best bid win.

I have it on good authority from a source that had Gold Coast never won 2018, Sydney was to consider a 2022 Commonwealth Games bid, centred around a revamped Darling Harbour and Olympic Park.

2022 Commonwealth Games bid would have been wild if it came down to London vs. Sydney. Battle of the former Olympic Parks - bigger than the Ashes!

I doubt legacy would be important if it is building upon the legacy of a previous, larger event.

I think London could do it. Sure, the Commonwealth Games are not the Olympics, but they are still large and exciting, and would make the legacy of the 2012 Olympics even greater. Go for it, may the best bid win.

I have it on good authority from a source that had Gold Coast never won 2018, Sydney was to consider a 2022 Commonwealth Games bid, centred around a revamped Darling Harbour and Olympic Park.

2022 Commonwealth Games bid would have been wild if it came down to London vs. Sydney. Battle of the former Olympic Parks - bigger than the Ashes!

Just imagine. I personally would have supported London due to Melbourne's more recent hosting. It would have been more intense then lets say 2020

Archived