2022 Commonwealth Games

runningrings

New Zealand? Or "too close" after a Gold Coast Games?

Africa?

Caribbean?

Canada?

England/Wales?

Malta or Cyprus?

Singapore?

Malaysia?

I miss Hong Kong.

The Commonwealth Games are still a significant global multisport event - and aside from the Olympics themselves, is the only other major sporting event that draws significant numbers of athelets from across the globe (and not certain parts of it, a la Pan-Ams or Asian Games) I also appreciate the event for its authenticity, unlike other second tier (ie/ non-Olympic) events, it doesn't try to be the Olympics... there is no Flame, and it has its own, strong sense of tradition.

Despite this siginificance, the event is struggling to find purpose in an ever changing world. Australia has twiced now (2006 and 2018) bailed it out LA84 style after no other serious candidate cities stepped forward. Now that Australia is out of the picture for 2022, I wonder what would happen if the CGF is faced with little interest from the Commonwealth, and gets stuck with Hambantota (which makes Abuja look like Barcelona) Or worse still, no candidates?

Personally, I'd love to see Canada, or the Caribbean. Perhaps another Jamaica Games, or maybe Ottawa, Calgary or Vancouver (I'd like to say Toronto, but they seem preoccupied with 2015, and a future Olympic bid).

2022 could be a good year for South Africa - and could fit in well with a 2028/32 Olympic bid. Durban?

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest, nothing is off the table, and noone can be ignored when it comes to Com Games hostings these days.

If Australia can host 2 Games in the period of 2006 to 2018 - everyone must be considered.

I see 2022 as being a real culmination point in the huge strides Auckland is taking in its quest to be the most livable city in the world, maybe it's time the Pacific hosted again, and the City of Sails is the city to do it.

I might be in the minority of Kiwi posters, but I don't see Christchurch having a place in the immediate future of NZ bidding cycles.

Im thinking Singapore though, would be a city that would keep most people happy.

So I'm going to go for a return to Asia.

I see 2022 as being a real culmination point in the huge strides Auckland is taking in its quest to be the most livable city in the world,

Yikes ! They had better get cracking on the cost of living and transport. For a city of its size, its frightfully car dependent. Public transport is so bad!

Why no Wellington? It's not that much smaller than the Gold Coast. As for Chch, it is obviously (and sadly) out of the picture for now... but in my mind the IOC will restructure its attitude towards the Southern Hemisphere and it will make a triumphant return as host city of the 2030 Olympic Winter Games... :rolleyes:

The public transport situation isn't crash hot, but it's getting better, patronage is increasing and we are starting to see the roll out of the HOP card integrated ticketing system (finally) and the new electric trains will all be on stream in the next few years, and fingers crossed we will also have our City Rail Link.

It's an ambitious goal, but they have made good progress . In the 3 main quality of life reports the City of Sails finds itself at 10th, 10th and 3rd. So not bad.

Wellington is a great city, and they did present an *alternative plan* for the 2006 Games, a template for smaller cities and even smaller nations to use for a potential hosting.

The Auckland Supercity (within the nz sphere) just seems so logical, it has a wealth of sports venues all ready to go, and Im a big pusher of a centralisation of our sports venues, hate the concept of sticking the cycling hub down in the boondocks in the Waikato, another sport in Palmy, another sport in Dunedin etc.

1994 Canada

1998 Malaysia

2002 England

2006 Australia

2010 India

2014 Scotland

2018 Australia

Personally I think it will be a showdown between Africa and Canada with a strong Canadian bid a slight favourite.

It will be interesting to see if Halifax or maybe even Calgary use it as an opportunity to develop a new stadium. Potentially Regina also fall into this mix.

First of all Hong Kong doesn't compete at the CWGS

-2022 is likely South Africa's to lose (with the majority votes being African).

-Canada might bid. However it should pick a city like Vancouver, Toronto or Calgary as opposed to an Edmonton. However I think the "2030" card is too close and the Canadian federation will wait till then.

-Will Hambantota bid? They will host the 2017 Asian Youth Games and the 2016 South Asian Games (so the venues will be in the ground around the time the vote is scheduled).

-Auckland would win any bid besides 2018 (too soon after the Gold Coast). The CGF's charter says in cases where the previous continent hosting is the only viable option then they would be awarded the games. But if Durban, Canada, Hambantota all bid it would be impossible.

-Singapore will host the 2015 SEA Games maybe they decide to bid for the CWGS

For 2022 I think Durban, Singapore and Hambantota will be the bid cities with Canada and Singapore with outside chances to bid.

-Auckland would win any bid besides 2018 (too soon after the Gold Coast). The CGF's charter says in cases where the previous continent hosting is the only viable option then they would be awarded the games. But if Durban, Canada, Hambantota all bid it would be impossible.

Of course you're right in saying this.

I guess though, goes back to my point of saying that as it stands, we really can't get choosey. We haven't seen many Commonwealth bid races of late and often we are left with one bidder.

I'd be pushing for Singapore to knock out Hambantota. Just doesn't sit well with me that place for some reason. It's just so teeny.

Surely it's South Africa's for the taking if they decide to go for it. Whether they will or not is the big question.

If not, hmmmmm, it leaves it open but no obvious front runners IMO.

Rotation-wise, I can't see NZ snaring it straight after Oz. Not sure if Canada is keen to go now, or wait till the 2030 centenary. Singapore would seem to be another obvious contender over the next decade, but have they expressed any interest.

Which really leaves Cardiff as the only one that's so far declared interest.

There's always Abuja! :wacko:

I agree.

If Auckland is comfortable hosting a bunch of old buggers in the form of the 2017 World Masters Games, lets go for the youths and actually have the Olympic flame burning over Southern Skies Again - even if it is an ever so slightly bastardised half arse version of. ha.

I agree.

If Auckland is comfortable hosting a bunch of old buggers in the form of the 2017 World Masters Games, lets go for the youths and actually have the Olympic flame burning over Southern Skies Again - even if it is an ever so slightly bastardised half arse version of. ha.

I would support a New Zealand bid!

As for 2022 if the games go to Durban would 2026 likely be a battle between Wales and England?

New Zealand's got other things on it's mind at the moment...Yes it would be nice to see smelly old Auckland host another games (if Christchurch isn't ready), but 2022 would go to South Africa at the drop of a hat if they bidded for them. The rest of the commonwealth would step aside for that one.

Naah, 2022 would be either SA or Northern hemisphere.

With UK games in 2002 and 2014, I can't see a 2022/2026 UK bid as it is too soon and there are more Commonwealth countries able to host the games including the first ever African games.

I think the next two bids for 2022 and 2026 will come from Africa, Canada (or North America i.e. the Caribbean) or Singapore before going back to the UK or Australasia in 2030

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

With UK games in 2002 and 2014, I can't see a 2022/2026 UK bid as it is too soon and there are more Commonwealth countries able to host the games including the first ever African games.

I think the next two bids for 2022 and 2026 will come from Africa, Canada (or North America i.e. the Caribbean) or Singapore before going back to the UK or Australasia in 2030

There maybe plenty of countries able but not too many willing if recent years are to go by, and after Delhi moving into new territories is seen as quite risky - only South Africa can really offer a decent African bid at the moment. The UK, Australia, New Zealand and Canada have hosted the vast majority of Commonwealth Games, but with Canada and NZ not playing a part in the last couple of decades that means the UK and Aus are effectively having to host more often than ideal as emerging nations are just not emerging quite quick enough for the games to reach their full potential.

• 5 weeks later...

Labour's mayoral candidate Marvin Rees pledges Commonwealth bid

mayoral candidate Marvin Rees has promised to bid for the Commonwealth Games to come to Bristol in 2022 or 2026 if he is elected.

And the move has been backed by the city's two football clubs, Bristol Rugby Club and a number of leading sports people. Mr Rees, who is favourite to win the new post, said: "Bristol needs big ambitions and big ideas.

"Britain saw the huge impact that the Olympics had on the whole country but particularly on London and it is time for Bristol to reach out with similar ambition.

"We can use what will be world class facilities to build a healthy sporting culture for all in Bristol and the Commonwealth Games would be an excellent aspiration for the city."

Smaller cities than Bristol have hosted the games in the past, such as Victoria in Canada in 1994.

Mr Rees has pledged his support for the city's two football clubs to get their new stadiums and promised to make an arena become a reality.

Guy Price, Bristol City FC's chief operating officer and development director, said: "Bristol needs big ambitious sporting plans like this and we are delighted to support a bid for the Games to come to our city."

Rovers' chairman Nick Higgs said: "Our new stadium will be a world class facility and I am delighted that we will be part of a great plan to make Bristol a genuine sporting city.

"Bringing the Games to Bristol is a great idea and Bristol Rovers is happy to endorse Marvin Rees' ambition to turn it into a reality."

Bristol Rugby chairman Chris Booy said: "Bristol Rugby wholeheartedly endorses a bid to bring the Commonwealth Games to the city.

"We are pleased to support an initiative that promotes Bristol and the surrounding areas, as well as bringing elite sport to the region."

Boxing promoter Chris Sanigar said bringing the Commonwealth Games to Bristol would be a real bonus for the city's sport.

Mr Rees said the process to win the Games would start with a feasibility study before submitting a formal bid.

He said: "We would want to win but even if the bid was not successful it would raise the profile of the city enormously.

"Bristol's sporting organisations are already uniting behind this plan and going forward we will all work together to put Bristol on the world map, as a sporting and cultural city."

This is Bristol

I actually like the idea of Bristol hosting...Mainly for the facts my ancestors came from there.

So if Cardiff also bids, we're gonna get a Battle of the River Severn.

Looks like since Manchester, England's become the CWG's "new frontier" stepping up to the plate.

Archived