CWGs Go Bollywood

Sir Rols

Officials plan a Bollywood film on CWG

We might remember the Commonwealth Games only for their scams and controversies, but in a bid to change their legacy, CWG officials are planning to make a Bollywood film on the subject.

The three-hour long film will talk about the people who 'worked hard' to make the Games a success, say officials. Priya Singh Paul, who worked as ADG (communications) in the CWG Organising Committee, told us, "Nobody talked about the event after it was over despite its success. The people who worked behind the scenes felt neglected rather than rewarded. A group of officials in the Organising Committee came together and decided to make a movie on the success story of the Games. The reason was to highlight the unsung heroes who put up the mega event."

But why make a film on an event after two years? Paul replies, "Those involved in the CWG were people who worked hard but didn't get recognition. At least now, we have woken up and have the strength to do the movie. A year ago, we didn't know who to speak to and get things moving, because the scams had overshadowed everything. Today, after the praise the London Olympics have been getting, we feel that the CWG was also nothing less. Writing a book or making a documentary is not enough, only a feature film can do it justice."

She adds, "The shooting will start in Delhi from October. Also, we have included all the real characters. We are planning to rope in prominent Bollywood actors for the film, and are trying to get Boman Irani to play Suresh Kalmadi. We'll include cameos of real sportsmen as well. We'll shoot in Delhi, Noida, Chandigarh and Patiala, and we plan to release it by next year in England or in Cannes."

Times of India

Pffftttt. I remember well enough the problems Delhi had, and they weren't just in the build-up to the Games either.

It's a shame the incompetence of those in charge has led to those who did work hard on the Games to feel this way, but glossing over the problems with a bit of Bollywood won't change that. If this was being created by the Indian government we'd all dismiss it as poor propaganda and an attempt to rewrite an awkward moment in India's development. The fact that some disgruntled employees are doing it instead is laudable in a way, but it's no less an effort to spin-doctor events.

Still, I'm intruiged to see the final result.

In Delhi 2010's defense, I have to say their handover at the Closing Ceremony of Melbourne 2006 still, for me, rates as one of the best ever, Olympic or non-Olympic. It was an absolute show stopper, had a huge cast, and was bold and colourful. The Melbourne 2006 Closing is the only big stadium sepctacle ceremony I've attended in person, and that segment was a highlight in my mind, some serious high-camp pomp.

In Delhi 2010's defense, I have to say their handover at the Closing Ceremony of Melbourne 2006 still, for me, rates as one of the best ever, Olympic or non-Olympic. It was an absolute show stopper, had a huge cast, and was bold and colourful. The Melbourne 2006 Closing is the only big stadium sepctacle ceremony I've attended in person, and that segment was a highlight in my mind, some serious high-camp pomp.

Agreed. How sad that its Handover preview was really the highlight of those Games. And thing is, Delhi had hosted TWO Asian Games before. Yet, it's like they took TWO giant steps backwards with the CWGs.

Kalmadi brings more disgrace, Olympic body forced to accept international observers

The Indian Olympic Association (IOA) faced more disgrace on Tuesday when it was forced to accept international observers for "fair" polls. The IOA buckled under the pressure when the International Olympic Committee (IOC) slammed both the disgraced Suresh Kalmadi and the Indian body's acting president Vijay Kumar Malhotra.

The simmering war of words between the IOC and IOA intensified with the former slamming the latter for refusing to accept an observer for its upcoming elections and threatened to take action if poll date is not furnished by September 25.

The poll dates were announced by the IOA on September 24 but it was still not clear whether they would accept the 'observation'.

On September 14, IOA's acting president V K Malhotra in a strongly worded letter to IOC president Jacques Rogge had asked if appointing neutral observers is only for India or for other member associations as well.

"I was surprised to receive yet another letter dated dated September 11, 2012 (after the one on August 31) from your office which reads like a dictate. It virtually orders IOA to do things as specified in it," Malhotra wrote in the letter.

The IOC in its two letters dated August 16 and September 11 stated that IOA's election process of the IOA would have to be held in strict compliance with the Olympic Charter.

The IOC and the Olympic Council Asia (OCA) will be appointing observers for the elections and it is completely unacceptable to the IOA.

Later, Malhotra in his letter said IOA was only being singled out.

"I am also amazed to read that IOC and OCA will like to jointly nominate the observers for the elections of IOA. I will like to know whether IOC is sending observers to monitor the elections of all the NOCs or only IOA is being single out. In any case, the idea of IOC-OCA observers may not be acceptable to the IOA," said Malhotra.

In a strongly worded letter, in response to a September 13 missive by IOA acting president V K Malhotra in which he had termed the world body's decision to send an observer as unacceptable, the IOC said that such a supervision was necessary owing to the "confusion surrounding the status of Suresh Kalmadi".

"The IOC and OCA are extremely astonished by the content of your letter and by the fact that you do not seem to understand that the internal situation of your NOC is not as smooth and normal as you want to depict it".

"Should we remind you that, despite our numerous and repeated requests, you and your NOC were unable to take any clear decision vis-a-vis situation of Mr Kalmadi with much confusion surrounding the status, powers and decisions of your NOC Ethics Commission in this affair," the letter addressed to Malhotra said.

"We urge you once again to respond transparently and openly to all the questions which we have raised in our previous communications. If we do not receive any clear and satisfactory answers within a deadline of one week maximum, we will immediately produce a report for the IOC Executive Board for appropriate action," the letter dated September 18 and signed by NOC Relations Director Pere Miro said.

"In particular, we expect (i) a clear answer to the simple question of the date of which the Elective General Assembly of the IOA is expected to take place and (ii) a clarification of the composition of the General Assembly with respect to the principle of the voting majority for the national federation affiliated to the IFs governing sports on the programme of the Olympic Games," it said.

http://sports.ndtv.c...rvers-for-polls

Archived