Sign in to follow this  
stryker

Legacy mode

London delivers final report, as Games report to Session

OCOG_London_BIG.jpg
©IOC / Jason Evans

08/09/2013

On the second day of the 125th International Olympic Commission (IOC) Session in Buenos Aries, the Organising Committees of the Olympic Games reported to the IOC Membership about the state of preparations of their editions of the Games. The Session also heard the final report from the London 2012 Organising Committee (LOCOG), which was given by its Chairman Sebastian Coe, eight years after their election as a host city in Singapore in 2007.

Reflecting on the past seven years, Coe underlined the tremendous successes that LOCOG and all its partners had been able to achieve during the seven years of preparations and, of course, in the delivery of the Games. He also focused on the outstanding legacy that London 2012 has delivered to the city of London, Great Britain, sport, and the Olympic Movement.

This was supported by Denis Oswald, the IOC’s Coordination Commission Chairman for the London Games, who commented, “[LOCOG’s] vision was to use the power of the Games to inspire a generation and transform a neglected part of the capital, bringing major social and economic benefits to a deprived area. This has been a spectacular illustration of the power of the Games to change people’s lives and to modify the face of a city.” LOCOG’s presentation concluded with a standing ovation led by IOC President Rogge in thanks for the work of the British team in delivering the Games.

IOC

Final report of the IOC Coordination Commission - Games of the XXX Olympiad, London 201209 September 2013 2:50 (14167 Kb)

http://www.olympic.org/Documents/Games_London_2012/Final%20Cocom%20Report%20London%202012%20EN.pdf

Video:

http://www.olympic.org/2020-host-city-election

Scroll down to: 08/09/13 Reports by the Organising Committees for the Olympic Games

(not 08/09/13 Reports by the Organising Committees for the Olympic Games and Youth Olympic Games)

• Like 1

Final report of the IOC Coordination Commission - Games of the XXX Olympiad, London 201209 September 2013

Whoops. Looks like somebody in the IOC spotted problems like the lost buses ....

Public to get a sneak peek of East Village
Public to get a sneak peek of East Village, London's newest neighbourhood, at Open House London 2013

East Village, London’s newest neighbourhood, will open its doors to the public on 21 and 22 September as part of Open House London, the capital’s greatest architectural showcase.

Visitors will be invited to explore unseen parts of East Village including some of the newly renovated homes that housed the world’s greatest athletes last summer and the mature landscaped gardens with five park areas, public squares, play areas and courtyards.

Local architecture company Fundamental will lead the tours, including a family targeted tour featuring an explorer’s pack of activities.

http://www.eastvillagelondon.co.uk/Featured%20Articles/Open-House-London-2013.aspx

Santander Jessica Ennis acting roll

After the fist set of Santander commercials where the athletes were portrayed as weirdos appearing in peoples homes , the new set of commercials have given the athletes more of an acting roll,

And I have to say I find the depth and sincerity of Jessica Ennis portrayal of a normal person quit moving'

Santander Jessica Ennis acting roll

After the first set of Santander commercials where the athletes were portrayed as weirdos appearing in peoples homes , the new set of commercials have given the athletes more of an acting roll,

And I have to say I find the depth and sincerity of Jessica Ennis portrayal of a normal person quit moving'

Well, she's better than Rory McIlroy, I'll give her that.

Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park is currently closed due to the effects of the severe weather of Monday 28 October.

To allow for ongoing repairs, it will remain closed on Tuesday 29 October.

Roads through the Park are now open and half term activities at the Copper Box Arena will run as planned.

http://queenelizabetholympicpark.co.uk/news/news-articles/2013/10/park-closed

Hope Jude hasn't caused too much damage!

AGITOS RETURNS AS THE PARK CELEBRATES 100 DAYS SINCE OPENING

The Agitos was displayed in the Park during London 2012’s spectacular Paralympic Games. Located on the main bridge in the north of the Park, it measures nearly four metres wide and three metres high.

Meaning ‘I move’ in Latin, it symbolises the Paralympic motto ‘Spirit in Motion’. The Agitos will be joined in the Park by the Olympic Rings at the end of this year.

Dennis Hone, Chief Executive of the London Legacy Development Corporation, said:

“We are delighted that the original Agitos from London 2012’s incredible Paralympic Games will be displayed in Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park and that visitors can strike a pose in front of this iconic symbol.”

Tim Hollingsworth, Chief Executive of the British Paralympic Association, said:

“The giant Agitos, the symbol of the Paralympics, was an iconic part of the build-up to the 2012 Paralympic Games and I’m sure many people will remember the incredible sight of them fixed onto Tower Bridge in central London. The installation of this Agitos, which followed on from an identical positioning of the Olympic Rings to celebrate the Olympics, showed London’s commitment to treat both Games equally.

“Just over a year on from London, it is fantastic to see the Agitos placed today on Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park as a permanent reminder of such a groundbreaking Games. I hope they provide visitors with the opportunity to remember the magic of that summer and to look forward to future Paralympic Games with the same enthusiasm that they felt for London 2012.”

Agitos%203.jpg

Agitos%201.jpg

Agitos%202.jpg

QEOP_Map_Nov_13.jpg

http://queenelizabetholympicpark.co.uk/news/news-articles/2013/11/agitos-returns-as-queen-elizabeth-olympic-park-celebrates-100-days-since-opening

ENGLAND SECURE 2018 HOCKEY WORLD CUP
More world-class sport will be coming to Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park following last night’s announcement that England will host the Women’s Hockey World Cup in 2018.
The International Hockey Federation (FIH) made the announcement following a bidding process which saw England and New Zealand as the final shortlisted candidates to host the tournament.
With the EuroHockey Championships already secured for August 2015, there is an exciting calendar of major international hockey events to look forward to on the Park as the sport continues to go from strength to strength.
The purpose-built Lee Valley Hockey and Tennis Centre, currently being developed as part of the hockey legacy following the London 2012 Olympic Games and Paralympic Games, will play host to the events.
Dennis Hone, Chief Executive of the London Legacy Development Corporation, said:
“Last night’s announcement proves that world class venues will attract world class athletes. In addition to the Women’s Hockey World Cup, the Park will also host five matches at the Rugby World Cup in 2015, the Track World Cycling Championships in 2016 and the World Athletics Championships in 2017. We are delighted that Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park is fast becoming the first-choice destination for international sport”.
Of the World Cup bid’s success, Minister for Sport Helen Grant said:
“As a life-long hockey fan I’m delighted that England Hockey’s bid has been successful and I know this country will deliver a truly outstanding tournament on the Olympic Park. The 2018 Women’s World Cup will give us an opportunity to take the women’s game to new heights, and inspire both women and children to participate.”
The Mayor of London, Boris Johnson said:
“Last year’s phenomenal Olympic and Paralympic Games showed the world that when it comes to hosting major sporting events London is unsurpassed. I am delighted that the International Hockey Federation has recognised that there is no better place on earth in which to host their events."
http://queenelizabetholympicpark.co.uk/news/news-articles/2013/11/england-secure-2018-hockey-world-cup

One surprise was the Orbit by night- simplified by the lighting to just the spiral, it looks quite jolly:

2013-11-19-k.jpg

(sorry about the wobble).

PS, on the subject of surprises: PLAGIARISM PROVED !!!!!

2013-11-19-xa.jpg

In Mile End Park, just to the west of the Olympic zone, is a section containing, in addition to the usual grass, trees and paths, a pond, a building for exhibitions etc., and the above mound, with a sort of terrace arrangement. Examine it closely and you find the mound also has:

2013-11-19-xb.jpg

A SPIRAL PATH from the base (just off to the right of the main picture) to the summit, here seen crossing the terraces. Research reveals that it's been there, more-or-less on Danny Boyle's doorstep, for over a decade. Outrageous!

Stadium roof re-configuration beginning today (or it was meant to be but the rain and hail have held things up a bit). Infield looking a bit sad right now while all this happens....

BZg50JRCAAAUkRl.jpg

(photo nabbed from SSC)

Edited by Rob.

Stadium roof re-configuration beginning today (or it was meant to be but the rain and hail have held things up a bit). Infield looking a bit sad right now

Aha, I wondered what the cranes were there for. Thanks Rob.

2013-11-19-o.jpg

Stadium roof re-configuration beginning today (or it was meant to be but the rain and hail have held things up a bit). Infield looking a bit sad right now while all this happens....

BZg50JRCAAAUkRl.jpg

(photo nabbed from SSC)

Aha, I wondered what the cranes were there for. Thanks Rob.

2013-11-19-o.jpg

i'm already missing those wierd lighting fixures at the top :-(

Sign in to follow this