Legacy mode

stryker

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Memorial is the right word I think, but I agree it sounds like the wrong word.

Report today (Daily Mail, will wait until other sources post it before linking) that Olympic Stadium conversion cost is £272m, £118m more than original budget. I think this roof and retractable seating business has been harder than anyone thought. :o

So what is the word I am looking for - please enlighten me?

It's probably not a word but a two-word phrase, beginning with "commemorative" (I suspect not just a "commemorative plaque" though).

Report today (Daily Mail, will wait until other sources post it before linking) that Olympic Stadium conversion cost is £272m, £118m more than original budget. I think this roof and retractable seating business has been harder than anyone thought. :o

Ooh, imagine our surprise. <_<

FOOK!

Little wonder it's being referred to as the "deal of the century" for West Ham. I had misgivings about the post-Games plan for the stadium from the very beginning. It appeared obvious to me that, while maintaining an athletics legacy was important and welcome, a decent economic legacy could only be secured by doing the sort of deal that has now been done. I'm sure, however, that an awful lot of money could have been saved had we gone for this option from the start.

The last translucent panel for the new Olympic Stadium roof has now been fitted- but I can't help wondering if they now have a problem. The green safety netting beneath the new roof cannot, obviously, be accessed from above any more, but because they're already putting temporary seating in, it's more difficult for cherry-pickers to access it from below:

lobstervision_120615.jpg

I wonder if they'll have to hire an aerial rigging team to remove it all?

(Picture is a detail from LobsterVision again)

At lunchtime I noticed they were trying the cherry-picker method (left image below). At 9pm I checked again (right image below).

lobster_vision_150624.jpg

(LobsterVision images again)

At lunchtime I noticed they were trying the cherry-picker method (left image below). At 9pm I checked again (right image below).

lobster_vision_150624.jpg

(LobsterVision images again)

I didn't spot how they managed it, but they've definitely made progress, in a messy sort of way!

I'll leave them to it for a while, unless I happen to tune in at some moment when it's obvious how they're doing it.

lobster_vision_150625.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

LYN_Atelier_Hub67_Hackney-Wick_01.jpg?re

Hub 67 is a community centre that is designed for three to five years use and is constructed with recycled material from the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.

The building’s façade and the chandelier in the main space are designed and built with the local community. This local participation at the heart of the project has given the community a sense of ownership and has helped to embed the new building into the area. Designing the façade with community has ensured that the building is sympathetic but also enriches the area.

The project maximises and embraces the reuse of material to produce a high quality is constructed using metal frame cabins used in the Games fixed together with a new external thermal lining and facade. Meeting building regulations and limiting the use of new materials and the deconstruction of existing structures in the creation of the new building required an innovative approach not only to the design and the construction but also to the specification and tender documentation.

Source / more images: http://lynatelier.com/project/hub-67/

LobsterVision's camera on the Orbit is now back in operation, a week or so after the two internal ones. Work on the joint between the inner and outer sections of the stadium roof (which hadn't started when the unfortunate incident happened) is about threequarters complete. Meanwhile inside, for what it's worth, they finally shifted the last of the roof safety netting a couple of days ago, and most of the lower tier seating is in place; the grass isn't yet laid but presumably there's an optimum time for that to happen.

Lobster_Vision_150711.jpg

This is quite neat (Stadium Russian dolls from Gavrosh on SSC):

OS - Emirates Stadium - Upton Park

imagejpg1_zps1f6eb0fe.jpg

Grrr- so many distractions; when will I get to finish watching the Toronto OC?

The above picture is neat in the old-fashioned sense, but it's not to scale! Here's Boleyn vs Olympic with what seems to be the same scale (121 metre scale bar):

russiandolls.jpg

Still a dramatic illustration of the folly of converting a stadium designed uncompromisingly for track and field into a football stadium though.

I get the feeling in the "exclusive new pictures" captions that they haven't quite grasped that the current temporary seating is not the football-stadium temporary seating, which is really going to freak people out next year.

Archived