Legacy mode

stryker

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

in hindsight, what i would have done is build a stadium for the purpose of football. then make a temporary structure for the track and field. after the games you tear down the temporary structure and let west ham and all the other interested parties to bid on it.

but sorry it all the T&f fans but you sport can't put alot of asses in alot of seats.

London wouldn't have won the Games if it had proposed a football stadium as legacy of an Olympic athletics stadium.

if you can think of a sport that put alot of asses on alot of seats in england other than football then i will consider my position. but as of now, i think athletics has no place in the Olympic stadium. Sydney's stadium was converted into a multi-purpose stadium, non of them are for athletics

Athletics doesn't put as many bums on seats as football but it's not an unpopular sport. We haven't turned the velodrome into a small indoor football stadium or the aquatics centre into a football training centre. We've decided to support those sports in legacy.

And that's why the stadium was designed to be downsized, because we wanted to support a new modern athletics stadium to replace the outdated Crystal Palace. Athletics absolutely has a place in the Olympic Stadium and a city the size of London, the capital of a nation that finished 3rd in the medal table, should be able to support that. And we are even with the changed stadium.

We'll see how well the new stadium will work. In hindsight, building a stadium like Japan's would've been less hassle. But how should architects and planners account for a new mayor who decides to rip up the blueprint and start again?! It's the politicisation of this stadium that was the real problem.

i do agree that politics play a hand on the Olympic stadium's problems. west ham and the other interested parties were talking with city hall for the stadium but i think it landed on deaf ears. i blame ken for ignoring what i think is a great legacy for the stadium and Boris for not making improvements to accommodate football in the stadium.

i do agree that politics play a hand on the Olympic stadium's problems. west ham and the other interested parties were talking with city hall for the stadium but i think it landed on deaf ears. i blame ken for ignoring what i think is a great legacy for the stadium and Boris for not making improvements to accommodate football in the stadium.

I think the "other interested parties" were always the problem. Whichever team got the stadium, there would be complaints from rival teams, so best not to let any of them have it, and just downsize it for permanent athletics use. Looking back at that plan, we can see that, even if it never brought in sufficient revenue to meet ongoing costs, it would have seemed less of a "money pit" than the current awkward hybrid.

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty big announcement today...

Mayor welcomes £141m from Government to support world leading culture & education quarter on the Park

University College London and University of the Arts London to create two new campuses | Victoria and Albert Museum and Sadler’s Wells will be at the core of the cultural district.

The Mayor of London, Boris Johnson today (2 December) welcomed the Government’s commitment of £141m to create a major new higher education and cultural district on Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.

It was confirmed today in the Government’s National Infrastructure Plan, that £141m will be committed to help deliver the Mayor’s ‘Olympicopolis’ vision. This will create a world class education and cultural district on Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park bringing together outstanding organisations to showcase exceptional art, dance, history, craft, science, technology and cutting edge design.

University College London (UCL) will create a new university campus to the south of the ArcelorMittal Orbit. The University of the Arts London will establish a new campus on Stratford Waterfront opposite the Aquatics Centre. The Waterfront site will also house new locations for the Victoria and Albert Museum and Sadler’s Wells.

The scheme is expected to deliver 3,000 jobs, 1.5 million additional visitors and £2.8 billion of economic value to Stratford and the surrounding area.

In July the Mayor announced an international design competition for the single education and cultural district on Stratford Waterfront. This had more than 1,000 architects, master planners, place makers, engineers and landscape designers from across the globe register their interest. A shortlist will be announced soon.

Mayor of London, Boris Johnson, said: “Olympicopolis will create a world class centre for arts and education on Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, which will generate millions of pounds for East London’s economy and support thousands of jobs. It is absolutely fantastic that the Government has confirmed funding for this ambitious project to the tune of £141m, enabling us to progress with detailed plans for its delivery. This is an important milestone in our plans to realise a legacy from London’s 2012 Games that reaps economic and social dividends to last for generations to come.

http://queenelizabetholympicpark.co.uk/media/press-releases/mayor-welcomes-141m-from-government-to-support-world-leading-culture-and-education-quarter

• 1 month later...

Smithsonian Institution announces first major exhibition outside of the US at London's Olympic Park

America's prestigious Smithsonian Institution is to open its first major exhibition venue outside the US in London’s Olympic Park in 2021.

Today in Washington the Smithsonian announced that it will be holding formal talks with the owner of the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, the London Legacy Development Corporation, over plans for the new site. The planned 3,750 square metre London gallery will feature permanent and rotating exhibits drawn from the Smithsonian’s vast collections in history, art, culture and science.

The Mayor, Boris Johnson, said: “It would be a massive coup to attract the Smithsonian Institution to east London.” The Institution, which includes some of America’s most famous national collections, such as the National Air and Space Museum, has never before opened such an exhibition space outside the US in its 168-year history.

The move follows a series of meetings between the Mayor, the LLDC and the Smithsonian.

“This is more than just a preliminary announcement,” said an LLDC spokesman. “This is some months of talks coming to fruition.”

The Smithsonian will join University College London, the University of the Arts London (which includes Central St Martins and the London College of Fashion), the V&A and Sadler’s Wells at the Park’s new “Olympicopolis” site on Stratford Waterfront. The £850 million project’s first tenant will be UCL, from autumn 2018, after which the site will form a new university, arts and cultural district.

Last July the Mayor announced an international design competition for the district. A shortlist was announced in December 2014 and the winning team will be announced this spring. The complex will also include housing.

The Chair of the Smithsonian’s Board of Regents, John McCarter, said: “The proposal is impressive and exciting. The Smithsonian greatly appreciates the opportunity to participate in the development process, and looks forward to the day the doors open.”

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/smithsonian-institution-announces-first-major-exhibition-outside-of-the-us-at-londons-olympic-park-10006088.html

There will be a very good future for our Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park. There seems to be so much going on, with Construction projects continuing.

There will be a very good future for our Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park. There seems to be so much going on, with Construction projects continuing.

Commonwealth Games most likely happen in the near future.

Like Sydney's marvellous Homebush legacy, this place can only ever grow.

Commonwealth Games most likely happen in the near future.

Like Sydney's marvellous Homebush legacy, this place can only ever grow.

Yeah, hopefully we will see a Commonwealth Games here in London soon. I can see it happening in 2030, for the Centennial.

Archived