Legacy mode

stryker

In all fairness, his stated before that his dyslexic, so we all should be a bit understanding towards that.

I think we should move on back to this topic now. Thanks all of you for looking out for me, but let's move on.

Thank you for defending me many people on Games Bids should look at the Paralympics Athletes and disabled people how we deal with life and Don't be worried about me I won't force you to go out with me, I was just saying that you are good looking I know now you are not Gay and let's move on, I had no idea what I said will come to be a big topic and people will take a fuss about it we are 3 1/2 years apart in age it's not a big age difference and it''s legal in both the United Kingdom and Western Australia where I live , The age of consent is 16 years old in both England and Western Australia.

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for defending me many people on Games Bids should look at the Paralympics Athletes and disabled people how we deal with life and Don't be worried about me I won't force you to go out with me, I was just saying that you are good looking I know now you are not Gay and let's move on, I had no idea what I said will come to be a big topic and people will take a fuss about it we are 3 1/2 years apart in age it's not a big age difference and it''s legal in both the United Kingdom and Western Australia where I live , The age of consent is 16 years old in both England and Western Australia.

No worries. Like I said, Thank You for the others looking out for me. Thank You for the compliment. Let's get back to Legacy Mode topic.

I'm interested in what the legacy will be for what GCL told you?

I think I'm gonna start a thread for that... :lol:

I think the age here in the US is 18, but I agree let's move on forget my sneers above.

Mayor of London Boris Johnson shortlists possible sites for World Expo 2025 bid

Boris Johnson has drawn up a shortlist of prime locations for the World Expo as officials explore plans to bring the major event to London in 2025.

Barking Riverside, the Royal Docks, Meridian Water in Enfield and Heathrow Airport — if the hub closes — would all be considered by City Hall.

The potential regeneration opportunities for each area, or a combination of them, would be on the scale seen around the Olympic park.

Mr Johnson said: “A London bid for Expo 2025 would need to prove the same scale of ambition in regenerating a part of London, as well as a strong business case for promoting the UK on a global stage.”

He has thrown his weight behind the bid to bring the global exhibition back to London for the first time in more than 150 years and has already secured informal support from government and business.

The Mayor has given the go-ahead to a study of the business case and Greater London Authority consultants have visited Dubai, awarded the 2020 Expo, on a fact-finding mission.

“On the back of the tremendous success of the Olympic and Paralympic Games, London has established itself as a world leader in hosting major cultural and sporting events,” he said.

“Combine that with our reputation as powerhouse of industry, science, technology and education, and I believe it makes sense to consider bidding for the World Expo in 2025.”

City Hall stressed that months of work lie ahead before a bid was even confirmed — and that London could be up against the likes of Paris, San Francisco and Toronto to host the exhibition.

But Mr Johnson is understood to be enthusiastic about the redevelopment potential for huge swaths of land across the capital.

Munira Mirza, deputy mayor for education and culture, told The Standard: “It would be a special event but we have to be confident that the impact on the ground is significant for the people who might be living there in future. There’s the possibility of new house-building, new jobs and bringing new areas of London to life.”

The National Lottery Newham London Anniversary Run is back for 2014. Following the jubilant scenes of last year’s event, runners will have the opportunity to celebrate London 2012’s legacy in style once again.

This time around there will be no stadium finish, with the five-mile course instead featuring a number of the prestigious arenas that housed such inspirational scenes two years ago. The National Lottery Newham London Anniversary Run will take place on Sunday 20 July.

Taking in Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, the course includes the Velodrome, London Aquatics Centre and the Copperbox. You’ll get the chance to see the athletes’ former basecamp as you run through the East Village, as well as experience the beautiful new parklands and river ways.

The event will return to the Stadium in 2015. If you get a place in this year's run you will automatically get priority for a place in 2015.

There will be a shorter distance available for children in the Family Run, which offers an opportunity for younger runners aged 5 years and older to take part with an accompanying adult. Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park will be fully open to the public when the run takes place, so you will be able to bring as many friends and family along with you on the day to cheer you around the course.

By playing The National Lottery, the public provides crucial funding to our Olympic and Paralympic athletes and have most recently supported a glorious return of medals from the Winter Olympics and Paralympics in Sochi.

The National Lottery Newham London Anniversary Run, staged in partnership with the London Borough of Newham, celebrates this contribution and the life-changing support players continue to give both grassroots and elite sport in the UK.

Newham residents will also have the chance to take part in this year's run for free, thanks to 1,000 adult and 300 family places secured by Mayor of Newham, Sir Robin Wales.

N.B. Please note, the 2014 event will NOT be taking place in the Stadium, as in 2013, due to it's redevelopment.

http://www.anniversaryrun.com/

Anniversary Games set for central London as Olympic Stadium has refit

The Sainsbury's Anniversary Games will take the form of a 'street athletics' event and be staged at Horse Guards Parade Ground and The Mall in the centre of London on 20 July.

Pole vault, long jump and shot put competitions will be staged, as well as track races – over two sessions – in front of a crowd of 20,000 on 20 July, British Athletics has announced.

The event, which commemorates the anniversary of the opening ceremony of London 2012, took place at the Olympic Stadium last year but that venue is unavailable this time as it is undergoing redevelopment. The exact anniversary, 27 July, was not an option because that is the day the athletics programme starts at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.

The Olympic long jump champion Greg Rutherford, who last month set a new British record of 8.51m, will compete in the event. "It's a great place to be and I think it's going to be incredibly special to hold the Sainsbury's Anniversary Games here," he said at the launch. "It's one of the most iconic parts of London and you just have to look at the backdrop of Horse Guards to see the London Eye and just around the corner we've the Queen sipping on her tea.

"By the time I come to compete I will be in the best shape of the year and I'll be looking to jump far here."

Horse Guards Parade proved to be perhaps the most spectacular venue at the London Olympics, staging the beach volleyball.

"Last year's sell-out Sainsbury's Anniversary Games were yet another great example of how London is now a natural home for international sport," said Boris Johnson, the mayor of London. "This year's return is a golden opportunity to see our Olympic and Paralympic superstars in action."

'Street athletics' is already staged with great success in Manchester and Tyneside, with the annual Great Manchester CityGames and Great North CityGames. The format is a big hit with athletes as well as spectators.

The registration period to enter the ballot for tickets will open at 9am on Tuesday via britishathletics.org.uk.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/may/05/anniversary-games-london-olympic-stadium-commonwealth?CMP=twt_gu

http://www.motorboatsmonthly.co.uk/news/536503/london-olympic-park-waterways-to-re-open-for-boats

The waterways of the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park will welcome boats once again from 10 May onwards, the Inland Waterways Association (IWA) has announced.

Restored as part of preparations for the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games, the 6km stretch has been dredged and refurbished, with new river walls and towpaths created at a cost of more than £20m.

The re-opening will be marked by a flotilla that will enter the park this weekend, led by St. Pancras Cruising Club and IWA.

A series of events has been planned for the summer months to celebrate the reclaiming of this previously neglected land.

The waterways in this area were once a key transport network, but fell into a state of disuse after the end of World War Two.

Construction work will continue after the re-opening event until summer 2015, so boats interested in cruising this section will need to register their interest with the London Legacy Development Corporation in advance.

Due to the dimensions of Three Mills lock, boats with an air draft of more than eight foot will not be admitted, while the maximum width is 16 foot.

Read more at http://www.motorboatsmonthly.co.uk/news/536503/london-olympic-park-waterways-to-re-open-for-boats#0hXbi0SwOJsZSrKs.99

We are off there tomorrow, first time since the Anniversary Games and the weather is looking like its going to be glorious. Im very excited. Im still to see pictures of the big globe lights lit at night. I can't wait to relive the excitement of the games.

Will definitely post pics

A couple of clarifications:

The large gravelled "parade ground" in the second picture of the first batch above is the site for a future housing development (as seen in the official CGI fly-through of the park in 2030)

In case anybody hadn't realised- the building with the pink posters is the BL, the British Library, next to St Pancras Station, which is just one of the most brilliant places in the world. You'll need to take ID if you want to consult the books, but some of the exhibition spaces are open for free, and you are quite likely to see, within a few metres of each other, original lyrics by John Lennon and a selection of gorgeously decorated manuscripts of the Qur'an.

We went on Saturday, the park was rammed. It was really good to see. The south of the park is definitely for the kids, wander a bit north and there is peace and quiet. It was great to hear the noise and excitement of the kids and the Podium building is a nice gateway into the park.

The Orbit looked quite quiet, people were up there but no queuing for tickets, and the shop was empty but actually had some really creative stuff like paperclips bent into the shape of the orbit and gold, silver, bronze button badges.

I liked the turning wheels too where you can listen to the roar of the Olympic crowd.

Whats missing though is an Olympic museum, its such a shame that got cut, I can't see the logic of it at all.

Ive never been to the British Library Mark, I'm putting it on my list of things to do.

We went on Saturday, the park was rammed. It was really good to see. The south of the park is definitely for the kids, wander a bit north and there is peace and quiet. It was great to hear the noise and excitement of the kids and the Podium building is a nice gateway into the park.

The Orbit looked quite quiet, people were up there but no queuing for tickets, and the shop was empty but actually had some really creative stuff like paperclips bent into the shape of the orbit and gold, silver, bronze button badges.

I liked the turning wheels too where you can listen to the roar of the Olympic crowd.

Whats missing though is an Olympic museum, its such a shame that got cut, I can't see the logic of it at all.

Ive never been to the British Library Mark, I'm putting it on my list of things to do.

Rob - I questioned the legacy guys who are in charge of QE Olympic Park about this and they said that the museum hasn't been shelved rather the BOA is still trying to gain the necessary funding (seems a classic fob off) but I have a sneaky feeling that a permanent exhibition may appear in the new V&A that is planned here? Secondly I asked where the Olympic Bell was? Apparently it is safe in storage and will be installed once they have found the right place to put it (i.e. they aren't going to - as they surely would have already have an idea for it in the overall masterplan)!

My only gripe really is that apart from the Olympic rings in the north of the park - there is now way of telling the games had been there. No Olympic Cauldron - no Olympic museum - no Olympic Bell - no Olympic memorial commemorating the winners and all the volunteers = a big missed opportunity.

Went to the British Library while in London for 2012. Point was to see the Magna Chara, Gutenberg Bible, etc.

Ended up spending most of my time looking at the music scripts, including the above mentioned John Lennon notes.

PS. I hated the orbit, but thought it might grow on my in time. Nope.

Archived