Legacy mode

stryker

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  1. Last of the Olympic floodlights meets its maker pic.twitter.com/BJ6jWJka2C

BeAP9JLCYAAa0wn.jpg
  2. Olympic Park, including stadium sans floodlights, opens on April 5 pic.twitter.com/RSFcyVynKi

BeALTeiCUAAEapa.jpg
  3. Olympic Aquatics centre will open to public on March 1, promising swim for less than £5 pic.twitter.com/YgC3NFzOZ6

BeAK8iiCMAAg2B_.jpg

Don't forget to include a selfie.

Why? I don't think people are really interested about how I look, they want to see the Venues and surroundings.

http://youtu.be/RAcVwDdhvj4

they also want to see where the bell is and/or where one of the flood lights will be

Yeah. I will be travelling around the Park where the public are allowed, and try and get as much information and pictures/videos as possible for my fellow forumer's.

Yeah. I will be travelling around the Park where the public are allowed, and try and get as much information and pictures/videos as possible for my fellow forumer's.

And also, I might do a mini tour and documentary about the Park, for all of you.

140122_flyer_jonathanwatts-440.jpg?w=520

Open Lecture – Jonathan Watts; The London 2012 Olympic Velodrome – Doing More With Less

Jonathan Watts of Hopkins Architects will discuss the design and delivery of the 2012 Olympic Velodrome, one of four permanent venues in the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park. The Velodrome provided a landmark venue for the indoor track cycling events at the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.

Jonathan studied architecture at the University of Bath and the Technical University of Munich with a particular focus on sustainable building design. He completed his education at the University of Greenwich, London, where he was recipient of the Bennetts Prize for Best Part 3 Student. Since 2008, Jonathan has worked on a number of projects with Hopkins Architects, including the London 2012 Olympic Velodrome and legacy transformation of the VeloPark & North Parklands. This has won numerous awards such as the RIBA Award for Architecture 2011, the AJ 100 ‘Building of the Year’, the BCIA Prime Minister’s Better Public Building & the Stirling Prize ‘People’s Choice’. Jonathan has lectured at numerous UK Schools of Architecture, including Cambridge, Bath and UCL, and abroad for the Foreign Office, as part of ECOWEEK’s seminar series. He is currently fully engaged as the Project Architect for an exciting new Science Centre for Abingdon School in Oxfordshire.

Open Lecture Series 2013/2014

Norbert Singer Lecture Theatre / M055

Mansion Site, Avery Hill Campus

Wednesday 22nd January; 6PM

140122_flyer_philaskew-440.jpg?w=520

Open Lecture – Phil Askew; The Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park – Design & Delivery

The Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park is the largest new urban park built in this country for over a century. As the centrepiece for the London 2012 Olympic Games, it became one of the stars of the event and demonstrated a new approach to urban parks. Following the Games, it is now being transformed into a new public park for London and will become the centrepiece for a large scale and ambitious regeneration of East London. The lecture will describe the design drivers and delivery process, setting out why this is important for Landscape Architecture.

Dr Philip Askew is a Landscape Architect, Urban Designer and Horticulturalist. Since 2008 he has worked on the Olympic Park, originally at the Olympic Delivery Authority (ODA) leading the delivery of the 2012 Olympic Park and now at the London Legacy Development Corporation (LLDC) leading the Transformation of the Olympic Park into the largest new urban park in the UK for over a century.

Open Lecture Series 2013/2014

Norbert Singer Lecture Theatre / M055

Mansion Site, Avery Hill Campus

Wednesday 22nd January; 7PM

University of Greenwich Department of Architecture and Landscape

London just had a stella marketing team. I'm still not totally sold on the "Inspire a Generation" theme. It was a fantastic, Olympics winning pitch - but time could show it to be no more than a charming slogan. I believe the problems confronting young people, in terms of health (both mental and physical) are far more complicated than an Olympic Games that really only creates fond memories for those with enough dosh to actually experience it.

I was always sceptical about it....London's plan to increase participation in the UK was one no other Olympic city had acheived, so for London to claim they could do it was aiming very high. And guess what, it wasn't acheived really. After the recession hit in 2008, the priority became getting the Olympics done, and after the current Tory government was elected on an austerity platform, school sports have actually seen funding cuts.

BUT, that's only half the story...

it wasn't just a snazzy marketing pitch to beat Paris and won't be remembered as only a "charming slogan". Whilst at home London's plans were somewhat scuppered by government and recession, around the world London 2012 did put its ideas into action. The message from Coe and co was entirely sincere and the "International Inspiration" scheme which was developed directly off the back of London's winning bid was the result. It really isn't trumpeted enough...

http://www.internationalinspiration.org/

International Inspiration is London 2012’s sports legacy programme, which we deliver in partnership with UNICEF, UK Sport, Youth Sport Trust and the independent charity IN. It was developed from Lord Coe’s promise in 2005 to inspire a generation and is the first programme of its kind conceived and implemented by a host city.

The programme works on three levels: with policymakers, practitioners and directly with children and young people. We support policy makers with national policies that support physical education (PE) and sport in schools. Teachers and coaches in the UK and around the world are getting the skills and access to training resources to make PE lessons more meaningful, innovative and exciting for young people. More young people are taking part in PE and sport, enabling them to develop new skills and fulfil their potential.

From the beginning in 2007 the target was to take International Inspiration to 20 countries and enrich the lives of 12 million children. In February 2012, five months before the Games opened in London, we achieved our targets. So far over 15 million children have actively participated in sport, physical education (PE) and play through International Inspiration.

I didn't know about any of that - so thank you for outlining it to me. Why did they not promote this more? This type of Olympics legacy is perhaps something the IOC should look at adapting into its selection criteria: What does the potential host country/city propose to give back to the world (not the Olympic movement) through hosting the Olympics. And the promises and proposals should be critically reviewed (to stop the likes of Doha promising 200,000 seater airconditioned ice hockey arenas for Kabul and Mogadishu).

Archived