Legacy mode

stryker

I understand the capacity is to be reduced from 80,000 to 54,000 by 2016, so does that mean that the capacity for the 2017 World Athletics Championships will be lower than 54,000, since they'll need to remove the temporary seating to accommodate the track?

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No temporary seating as far as I'm aware. They're trying to fit retractable seating into the structure now. And the 54,000 capacity will, I believe, include areas tarped over for football because either the sightlines aren't good enough or because of segregation. It wouldn't surprise me if the capacity went up by 5 or 10k for athletics events actually.

UCL pulls out of Stratford talks

University College London is seeking a new site for its £1 billion Stratford campus after abandoning contoversial plans to redevelop a housing estate in East London.

The university announced today that it has broken off talks with Newham Council over the Carpenters Estate, where it had intended to build a new university quarter on the edge of the Olympic Park.

It follows protests by local residents unwilling to move out of the area, while concerns have also been raised over a shortage of housing in UCL’s proposals.

UCL had wanted to build research facilities for departments such as engineering and population health at the new university quarter, as well as accommodation for staff and students.

UCL provost Malcolm Grant said the university still hoped to find a suitable site in Stratford to build a second London campus.

“This was an ambitious but extremely complex proposal and the process of intensive and lengthy examination has led us both to conclude that we cannot reach a commercial agreement,” said Professor Grant.

“However, the process has reaffirmed the commitment of both parties to establishing a UCL presence in Stratford.”

The end of the deal means Newham Council will now talk to other interested parties about developing the site.

A council spokesman said: “We recognise that this decision will bring further uncertainty for residents of the estate.

“A number of parties have expressed an interest in working with Newham Council to help regenerate the Carpenters Estate.”

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/news/ucl-pulls-out-of-stratford-talks/2003695.article

More than 4,500 jobs are to be created as the final venue to be permanently based in the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park has had its future secured.

The London Legacy Development Corporation (LLDC) has announced iCITY will run the Press and Broadcast Centre as part of a £100m deal.

BT Sport, Loughborough University, data centre provider Infinity and Hackney Community College will be tenants.

The deal will see a further 2,000 jobs created in the local area by 2019.

As part of its agreement with LLDC, iCITY has made a commitment to work with its tenants to provide employment and training opportunities for residents living nearby, as well as ensuring local companies benefit from supplier opportunities.

The digital hub will see BT Sport broadcast 38 Barclays Premier League live games a season for three years from August 2013.

It will also show 69 live rugby union games a season from the Aviva Premiership.

Loughborough University will offer postgraduate education while Hackney Community College will establish its new digital apprenticeship programme at iCITY.

Tech Hub will develop start-up businesses and Infinity, a provider of data centre services, will be based there.

LLDC said the deal meant London was further ahead than any other host city in history in delivering a lasting physical and social legacy from the Games

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-22552588

_64461728_64461727.jpg

Olympic Venues' legacy

Olympic Stadium: West Ham United are to be the long-term tenant however other sporting events will also take place there

Copper Box: The handball venue will become a leisure centre from the summer. It will also be home to London Lions Basketball Team

Lee Valley Hockey and Tennis Centre: The former wheelchair tennis venue is to re-open with hockey pitches and tennis courts

Velodrome: From next year, the dome will have a BMX track and indoor cycling

Aquatics Centre: Will re-open next Spring with two 50m pools and a diving pool

Athletes' Village: Will be transformed into 2,818 new homes. First tenants move in this summer

Orbit tower: Visitor attraction from this summer

Great story that a crow is holding up the dismantling of the Olympic basketball arena. Builders can't take down last bits because of nest...

It has left eggs and builders have to wait for the chicks to leave the nest before they can take last few metal stands down. Could take 4wks

I reckon they will go before the June rock concerts. Main stage will be built below them. Kasabian are first act up. Bruce Springstein soon.

In the old days I would have got a page lead in the standard for that story: London rivals China with own version of olympic bird's nest.

That story about the crow is totally right, by the way. I was on the Olympic park for several hours yesterday.

https://twitter.com/adrian_warner

23714785.jpg

Tree planted in memory to Olympic architect

-- %5BI%5DLink to ITV article[/i] --

article_289e972bc4c21fcd_1368865946_9j-4

The man who designed the Olympic Park will have a large oak tree planted in his honour. Architect John Hopkins was responsible for the London 2012 parklands, transforming an urban corner of east London into an ecological park. He died suddenly in January this year, aged 59.

Now, one of his most celebrated achievements will be permanently recognised. The oak tree will be planted in heart of Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, in the newly named Hopkins Field. The nine metre tall, 25-year old oak tree will be planted by John's children and fiancée, Laura. A public footpath will be built alongside it.

"John inspired so many with his big-picture approach to urban planning and enlightened practice of landscape architecture. He was always pushing to do what is right and best for people and the environment. That is why a 'Global Garden Initiative' is being established to honour John's considerable accomplishments and to build on John's legacy by implementing the work that he would have carried out had he lived."

John's fiancée Laura Adams, Executive Director at Shelby Farms Park Conservancy

Great photo! I'm glad the wings are removed, the roof is amazing!

acroofmodel.jpg

Funny ... for just a sec I thought this is a japanese toilette seat :lol: ... Kidding aside .. looks great

Kidding aside ... looks great

AQUATICS CENTRE REVEALED AS QUEEN ELIZABETH OLYMPIC PARK PREPARES FOR LIFT OFF

22 May 2013

Two enormous cranes removed the final elements of the temporary seating stands this morning, revealing the original Zaha Hadid designed building.

The final trusses which formed the spine of the temporary seating stands on either side of the Aquatics Centre were removed today as part of the work to transform the former Olympic site into Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.

Each truss weighed 172 tonnes and required two cranes weighing 800 tonnes and 750 tonnes to lift and lower the pieces to the ground.

321478206.jpg

3265461247.jpg

http://www.londonlegacy.co.uk/aquatics-centre-revealed-as-queen-elizabeth-olympic-park-prepares-for-lift-off/

I wonder here Zaha was sitting when she came up with the idea?

But as my plumber explained to me, because he is doing work in a new mosque a-building, he says the muslim toilets are different -- of course!! :rolleyes: Apparently, they are the no-touch kind for both sexes; so Zaha could not have been sitting on one...NOT unless she was committing blasphemy!!

It looks truly great - and ready to host the world yet again, even despite the now partially dismantled venues. ;) And the Olympic Stadium looks even more majestic now in those green surroundings.

Really, the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park is one of the greatest examples of landscaping in the world. And if you bear in mind what that site originally looked like, it's an even greater achievement, even greater than Munich's still beautiful Olympic Park.

The greening in front of the media centre where the hockey venues were is actually "temporary" (it'll be there a few more years yet), but the long-term plan for that area of flat grass is housing, as you can see from this render...

http://assets.inhabitat.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2010/10/ukolympic-ed01.jpg

http://www.londonlegacy.co.uk/the-park/live/

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20120919132719/http://www.communities.gov.uk/documents/newsroom/pdf/1958868.pdf

It looks truly great - and ready to host the world yet again, even despite the now partially dismantled venues. ;) And the Olympic Stadium looks even more majestic now in those green surroundings.

Really, the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park is one of the greatest examples of landscaping in the world. And if you bear in mind what that site originally looked like, it's an even greater achievement, even greater than Munich's still beautiful Olympic Park.

1972 was a masterclass in urban recreational design. I'd say that London's success is due to it being a product of Munich's legacy. I adored Munich's Olympic Park... I spent a few hours there when I visited. It is so relaxing and peaceful, along with being overwhelming in history... and then there is the architecture. This is partly why I'd so love to witness a Munich Winter Olympics in 2022.

There are other Olympic Parks in the world that are still great and iconic: Tokyo, Montreal, Seoul, Barcelona, Sydney, Athens, and Beijing come to mind... but Munich and London truly adhere to the "Park" in the title. I'm hoping to get to London in the next 2 years, and I know that I'll almost virtually make a bee-line from Heathrow to Olympic Park.

OOOh theres so much more green space, fantastic. I bought tickets for the Brabicans East festival in the park. Looks like a really nice mix of misic, food and art.

http://www.barbican.org.uk/music/event-detail.asp?ID=14778

I bought a ticket for Saturday [after the Diamond League meeting] Where in the park is the festival? Next to the Velodrome? Or that area close to the mediacentre?

There are other Olympic Parks in the world that are still great and iconic: Tokyo, Montreal, Seoul, Barcelona, Sydney, Athens, and Beijing come to mind... but Munich and London truly adhere to the "Park" in the title. I'm hoping to get to London in the next 2 years, and I know that I'll almost virtually make a bee-line from Heathrow to Olympic Park.

I was there last weekend. The Olympic stadium + pool are still open for visitors, and the "Olympic and Sports Museum Joan Antoni Samaranch" is worth a visit!

Archived