Sign in to follow this  
baron-pierreIV

Which Olympians have u met?

Just got back from brunch with friends at the Niles district of Fremont. We went window-shopping in the antique district of the town after the brunch, and one of the guys pointed out a Tea Room where they also sold fresh fudge.

So in we went and guess who should be heading out and paying their bill? None other than champion skater Kristi Yamaguchi!! I knew it was her. She has a very distinctive look; and then of course I remembered that she is a Fremont girl. Her dad is a dentist there and she was with her mom and her 2 kids!

So just ot make sure, I went up to her, and asked "Kristi?" She gave me a slight nod. And then I just wanted to say something complimnetary. So I ended up saying: I just wanted to congratulate you for all you do for figure skating (or something like that). And she acknowledged it very politely. And they went on their way; and so did we.

- On another occasion, I met sprinter Regina Taylor-something or other when my friend was selling a house. Both are real estate agents.

Which Olympians have you met?

Off the top of my head, quite a few Aussie Olympians. Dawn Fraser used to be a near neighbour, and I was on nodding terms with her. I've met and chatted top the likes of Cathy Freeman, Geoff Heugill, Andrew Gaze and others at various press functions. I've also met a few at various Games - I remember spending the train trip out to Sydney Olympic Park in 2000 chatting to a Dutch relay swimmer, and met some Kazakh gold medallist in London (can't remember his name without looking it up). I'm sure a few more would spring to mind if I thought long enough on it.

Edited by Sir Rols

I saw a Canadian bronze medalist in synchronized swimming. That is it I think. Maybe a couple hockey players and basketball players when I went to the Air Canada Centre.

I've met a few Olympians and Paralympians in the van before running my leg of the Pan American Torch Relay back in 2007. Among them was Yohansson Nascimento: paralympic champion in London with 2 more silver medals and one bronze.

I've met a bunch, mostly winter athletes. Some notable names. Some are family friends.

Meet a South Korean Synchronized Swimmer that competed at the 1988 Seoul games. She has since immigrated to Canada and I worked as a lifeguard at a pool where her daughter was a regular. She actually brought all the lifeguards ice cream bars once ^^

But that would be it. I live in a small town, so there aren't all that many Olympians in the area.

Late last year I was in Melbourne and Cathy Freeman was lunching with her child and a friend at a Korean restaurant. Didn't "meet" her though... more a glace over and recognised her.

Peter Snell (three gold medals for NZ; Rome 1960, Tokyo 1964) is my cousins Godfather. Although I don't recall meeting him, my parents have several times at family functions, I think he's over in California now.

Edited by greenandblue

I met Dirk Nowitzki at a club in Dallas.

I coached Marquis Goodwin, current U.S. long jumper, when he played football at the middle school I work at.

I worked with a number of past Olympians (including gold medallists) in a few of my old jobs and met a few winter Olympians in the build up to Vancouver 2010.

I met Inger Miller in 1989 when she was a Rose Princess. (I grew up in Pasadena.) She later became a gold medallist in the women's 4x100 in Atlanta.

No medalists Im afraid, but from the Kiwi team I used to live with Anna Reymer who was in the final of the Womens Double Sculls in London, and I used to go to school with decathlete Brent Newdick (Commonwealth Games medalist and London Olympian).

I'm friends with a paralympian, and through him I've met a few others. Only Olympian I know who would know me is one of the Opals.

Met a few others here and there when I was living in Canberra for uni, and went to school with a commonwealth games athlete who was moderately unlucky not to get the the Olympics.