Sochi 2014 schedule

Fox334

I can't find a full version of the schedule yet, but the days where prelims will be held and medals are handed out in each sports has been released.

One of the big surprise: for the first time ever, events will be held the day before the opening ceremonies. Essentially, the preliminaries for women's moguls, men's snowboard slopestyle and the first half of the team short program in figure skating will take place the day before the opening ceremonies.

What do you guys think about sports starting earlier than before?

I can't find a full version of the schedule yet, but the days where prelims will be held and medals are handed out in each sports has been released.

One of the big surprise: for the first time ever, events will be held the day before the opening ceremonies. Essentially, the preliminaries for women's moguls, men's snowboard slopestyle and the first half of the team short program in figure skating will take place the day before the opening ceremonies.

What do you guys think about sports starting earlier than before?

THis was from a while back. I don't know why they are doing it for all the sports minus figure skating. The prelims usually happen in the morning and then the finals. Its not like there isn't enough dates. Also for the first time ever I believe there will be a third medal event on the final day (the 4 man bob) which joins hockey gold final and the 50k cc race both for men. The schedule is located here.

Also interesting to note CC skiing and biathlon overlap a lot. Vancouver it did not happen. Am I missing something?

Thanks, couldn't find the detailed breakdown. What seems weird is that, by that schedule, women's moguls and men's snowboard slopestyle are the only freestyle and snowboard events that have their preliminaries on a day other than the final. That can't be right.

Having a third event on the last day is a first, I think. The Biathlon schedule is a bit weird (no day with 2 events, and the mixed relay is after all the individual events while at the worlds it tends to be the first event).

Thanks, couldn't find the detailed breakdown. What seems weird is that, by that schedule, women's moguls and men's snowboard slopestyle are the only freestyle and snowboard events that have their preliminaries on a day other than the final. That can't be right.

Having a third event on the last day is a first, I think. The Biathlon schedule is a bit weird (no day with 2 events, and the mixed relay is after all the individual events while at the worlds it tends to be the first event).

The third event on the last day is different from recent games, but I do remember Lillehammer having an alpine skiing competition on the final day as well as hockey and cross-country.

The thing that I notice is the competition on the day before the OC. There used to be hockey prelims the day before when they games were only 12 days long but nothing like we see here.

The third event on the last day is different from recent games, but I do remember Lillehammer having an alpine skiing competition on the final day as well as hockey and cross-country.

The thing that I notice is the competition on the day before the OC. There used to be hockey prelims the day before when they games were only 12 days long but nothing like we see here.

My apologies, I spent so much time studying the schedule that I had forgotten that pre-OC competitions were discussed earlier.

That's true too. I liked the format better back then instead of all these designed to keep the NHL happy.

I actually really liked the Turin format - two groups of six into quarterfinals. Really not a big fan of having a round robin decide medals, robs us of a proper finals.

Not keen on the new format (3 groups of 4), but still not as bad as the Nagano/Salt Lake City format.

I actually really liked the Turin format - two groups of six into quarterfinals. Really not a big fan of having a round robin decide medals, robs us of a proper finals.

Not keen on the new format (3 groups of 4), but still not as bad as the Nagano/Salt Lake City format.

Blame the NHL. I like the 2 groups of 6 too because it standardizes it with all other team sports with 12 (besides women's football)

It's a trade-off. The Turin format squeezed too many games into a short amount of time. That's great for fans because there's more hockey, but it doesn't seem so great for competition. Like the Vancouver format better where it's only 3 games per day which don't overlap as opposed to 6. It's a lot more manageable that way

It's a trade-off. The Turin format squeezed too many games into a short amount of time. That's great for fans because there's more hockey, but it doesn't seem so great for competition. Like the Vancouver format better where it's only 3 games per day which don't overlap as opposed to 6. It's a lot more manageable that way

It was the NHL's wish ( so players played less games and had a smaller risk of injury)

• 2 weeks later...

There were four events on the final day of the Lillehammer Games--the men's hockey final, men's slalom skiing, men's cross-country, and the last two runs of the four-man bobsled.

IMO, instead of having events before the opening ceremony, they should just have the opening ceremony on Thursday. Since figure skating is one of the events on the day before the opening ceremony, I wonder if NBC will have some primetime coverage that night instead of putting the events on the NBC Sports Network like they did with the soccer prelims.

Archived