Sign in to follow this  
paul92

London 2012 Paralympic Games Closing Ceremony

:D

I hope you enjoyed your work - you volunteers were really amazing, and I hope you get every recognition you deserve also after the Games.

I've run out of 'likes' today but thank you so much. When I applied 2 years ago I only did it for the experience but the thanks and support from the public has been fantastic.

Where are our Brazilian members complaining about the shortened version of their anthem? ;)

We didn't complain about that. It would be a nice gesture from organizers, but we understand the reasons for not playing the entire Brazilian anthem...

Don't provocate, please, don't make this perfect party not-perfect just to mock Brazilians...

;)

We didn't complain about that. It would be a nice gesture from organizers, but we understand the reasons for not playing the entire Brazilian anthem...

Don't provocate, please, don't make this perfect party not-perfect just to mock Brazilians...

;)

I was just joking. You should know that I always was and still am very supportive of the Rio Games and Brazil.

Amazing, just amazing - and easily the best ceremony since the Olympic opening. Obviously helps if you're a fan of Coldplay but it just all seemed much more authentic tonight than the hit and miss line up of the closing ceremony, and really Coldplay were only providing the sound track - it was what was going on around them which made it brilliant and I just loved the post-apocolypse type theme of it all (remember folks we've only two months of the world left!). The extinguishing of the flame was brilliant too - made much more sense having Jonnie Peacock and Ellie Simmonds do it than a bloody balerina!

Interesting too the C4 opted to delay the broadcast after each commercial break rather than omit parts - the right call tonight IMO as in the end they were only behind by 2 minutes.

Interesting too the C4 opted to delay the broadcast after each commercial break rather than omit parts - the right call tonight IMO as in the end they were only behind by 2 minutes.

Oh I didn't know that.

I kinda thought something was odd by the way people were posting about things so fast...but yeh I agree - they did the right thing.

That was great closing ceremony, not as classy as the Olympic closing, but it hit the right tone. Possibly Kim Gaven on auto pilot at times but great anyway.

Loved the Para orchestra

And I liked the flame continuing after the cauldron went out.

And a real fireworks display at last

Also I thought the long applause for the volunteers should have been for the Athletes.

I rate the London ceremonies as follows

1 Olympic Closing

2 Paralympics Opening

3Paralympic Closing

4 Olympic Opening

The Olympic opening had the best set

The Paralympics opening had the best concept.

Also I thought the long applause for the volunteers should have been for the Athletes.

Bah! They get gold medals for their work, us poor volunteers get horrible food at the cafeteria and at times a bossy team leader to tell us what to do.

I rate the London ceremonies as follows

1 Olympic Closing

2 Paralympics Opening

3Paralympic Closing

4 Olympic Opening

I think there could be a thread for ranking the ceremonies. - But I'll leave that to you since it was your idea first.

I was just joking. You should know that I always was and still am very supportive of the Rio Games and Brazil.

I know... But this issue lead to lots of misunderstood in Rio thread just after London CC...

Indeed, I love the arrangement of the Brazilian Anthem London provided (it would be amazing to have it entirely in my Ipod, but I do understand the reasons they can't use it during the games, specially when I work for a big TV network: time is money)

Couple questions,

Is it on Youtube yet? Couldn't watch it live as I was at work.

Is there an official album for the Paralympic closing ceremony?

^^Thank you! I was searching for that!

I just watched a small review and based on it, I thought Rio handover present only decent...

Old footage of Logo Presenation video, an interesting but flat battle of rythms and a not-big entrance of the Paralympic logo.

It was Ok to me...

Somehow, the host cities should allow next host to do better perfomances in the CC, like it happened in 2003 PanAms when Rio made a real carnaval in Santo Domingo "Olympic" Stadium...

I must confess I was waiting more from Rio handover performances both in Olympics and in Paralympics...

Nice to see Paralamas do Sucesso playing! A bit of Brazilian Rock (which is very nice, you guys should listen to some - unfortunatelly, international audience have no idea we have a nice rock scenario).

Despite some strange thingies there, I though this handover was so much better and genuinely brazilian than the olympic one.

Somehow, the host cities should allow next host to do better perfomances in the CC, like it happened in 2003 PanAms when Rio made a real carnaval in Santo Domingo "Olympic" Stadium...

I'm not sure you can say it's the host city's fault.

My reaction from being in the stadium is, some great elements, fantastic warmth from the crowd, standing to applaud the volunteers. But having just Coldplay didn't work for me.

• Like 1

My reaction from being in the stadium is, some great elements, fantastic warmth from the crowd, standing to applaud the volunteers. But having just Coldplay didn't work for me.

I think that if you weren't a massive Coldplay fan, it didn't work that well. If you are, then it was the best thing since sliced bread. After hearing it three times in three days, I confess that part of me would have preferred to be dancing with my audience and chatting to them during it.

This ceremony I spent stopping the athletes crossing in front of the 'traffic on the M25' and handing out their Coldplay LED lights. That was the most fun bit; discussing with the amputees where on earth we might stick a 'wristband' - and fun because there was genuine banter between us and the athletes as we tried options, not for any non-PC reason! One guy put it round his prosthetic leg and promised to take it off and wave it at the appropriate moment!

Still... being on the field for the fireworks was great fun and the applause for the volunteers was overwhelming. Lots of tears in the eye! I can't quite believe that I was part of all 4 Ceremonies!

Once again, FD, thank you that you shared your Olympic and Paralympic experience with us - and I hope you'll stay.

And how big is your post-Olympics/Paralympics blues?

Since I was at the Parade today, I'm still on a reasonably high. It will be some point at the weekend when there are no rehearsals to plan for and I start to pack up all my costumes that I think I'll suddenly hit bottom...

^^He was great when he directed the "Castelo Rá-Tim-Bum" series in TV Cultura of Sao Paulo. Nothing else...

Thankfully, after all the criticism here in Brazil, I doubt he will be invited again to do anything related to ceremonies...

In terms of the Rio handover this time, I thought it was brilliant- far better than the dull offering in the Olympics. It really captured the energy I was expecting to see and the music was great- hopefully the ceremonies in 4 years time will be more along these lines!

• Like 1

It's difficult to say if I liked this ceremony...

I loved the first part. The intro video was awesome, probably the best video of all four ceremonies, and the parade with those big trucks was also great. And with such a brilliant start, I thought the four seasons' segments were going to be somewhat similar, even more so when the directors had said it was not going to be a Coldplay concert, but unfortunately, that's just what it was in the end. It's not that I don't like Coldplay, but I didn't like them being the main act of half of the ceremony. It's true there were some artistic performances during the concert but, with the exception of the beginning of the winter segment (which I liked a lot), they just seemed to be there to accompany the music. I think it should have been the opposite; or at least that's what I was expecting.

And my opinion is pretty much the same for the handover ceremony. It started much better than in the Olympics with an intro video, not a spectacular video but more than enough to set the Rio atmosphere. The first dance battle and Carlinhos Brown were also very nice, but it suddenly became messy. The mixture of musical acts and dance battles was too confusing, and the appearance of the logo was also a little strange, just like in the Olympics. A giant orange shape hurrying on stage out of nowhere. It probably looked weird for those who hadn't seen the logo before and didn't know what it was.

So, in short, two great starts, but two not-so-great endings.

Sign in to follow this