125th IOC Session

gotosy

Where we can watch the election result? We Australian Olympics Fans has got a super big day that do we got two elections on the day as our country will be going to the polls to elected a leader and the big day for the Olympics Games election which goes from EST Saturday 9.45pm to Sunday 8am and WST Saturday 7.45pm to Sunday 6am.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Syrian IOC member submits surprising late nomination to stand against John Coates

JOHN Coates, Australia's most experienced and senior sports official, is facing opposition from an unlikely source - Syria - in his quest to become a vice-president of the International Olympic Committee.

Coates, one of Australia's three IOC members and a member of the IOC executive board, is standing for the single vice-presidential vacancy after electing not to contest the IOC presidential election on September 10. But he faces a late rival for the influential post after Syrian IOC member Samih Moudallal submitted a surprise last-gasp nomination, despite the civil war pulverising his country.

Moudallal , a former adviser and secretary to the Speaker of the Syrian parliament, and general secretary of the parliament, told fellow IOC members he should be elected to the vice-presidential role to help the IOC "support human rights and supporting refugees all over the world".

In a letter sent to all 103 voting IOC members, Moudallal stressed that if he were elected it would signify "empowering communities in the face of human crises. Also we can improve and develop peace and security in different places of the world".

Moudallal, a former weightlifting champion who has been living in France, also said his election would improve the IOC.

"Together we can work hard to spread the culture of solidarity, co-operation and forgiveness," he said. "We can add more values to interest the sport and cultural activities along with strengthening the sport spirit."

Coates's stance has always been centred on the fight against doping and illegal betting as well as being a voice for the athletes. He was not available for comment last night.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/syrian-ioc-member-submits-surprising-late-nomination-to-stand-against-john-coates/story-e6frg7mf-1226712550538?sv=e877d31a1082071d477366979adc9433#.UijW_IP0Z24.twitter

Watch it here:

http://www.olympic.org/2020-host-city-election

And here's the program of what they'll be streaming:

The IOC will broadcast the 125th IOC Session in Buenos Aires live. You can find the programme of the transmissions here further down. All times are local times.

The live stream and the on-demand videos can be found here.

Saturday 7 September 2013

8.45 – 9 a.m.
President’s opening remarks – followed by the presentations of the 2020 Candidate Cities

9 – 10.10 a.m.
Presentation by Istanbul, Turkey – 45-minute presentation followed by Q&A

10.30 – 11.40 a.m.
Presentation by Tokyo, Japan – 45-minute presentation followed by Q&A

12 – 1.10 p.m.
Presentation by Madrid, Spain – 45-minute presentation followed by Q&A

3 – 3.30 p.m.
Report by the IOC 2020 Evaluation Commission

3.45 – 4 p.m.
Vote and election of the host city for the Games of the XXXII Olympiad in 2020

5 – 5.30 p.m.
Announcement of the host city for the Games of the XXXII Olympiad in 2020

6.30 – 7 p.m.
Signature of the Host City Contract and joint IOC/host city press conference

Sunday 8 September 2013

9 – 9.30 a.m.
President’s opening remarks

9.30 – 10 a.m.
Report by the IOC Olympic Programme Commission

10.15 – 10.30 a.m.
Vote on the 25 core sports for the 2020 Olympic Programme

10.30 – 11 a.m.
Presentation by the WBSC – 20-minute presentation followed by Q&A

11 – 11.30 a.m.
Presentation by the WSF – 20-minute presentation followed by Q&A

11.30 a.m. – 12 p.m.
Presentation by FILA – 20-minute presentation followed by Q&A

12 – 12.45 p.m.
Vote on possible inclusion of an additional sport for the 2020 and 2024 Olympic Games

2.30 – 4.15 p.m.
Reports by the Organising Committees for the Olympic Games

4.30 – 6.10 p.m.
Reports by the Organising Committees for the Olympic Games and Youth Olympic Games

6.30 p.m.
IOC press briefing

Monday 9 September 2013

9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Reports by the IOC commissions and the IOC administration

3 – 5.40 p.m.
Reports by the IOC commissions and the IOC administration

6.30 p.m.
IOC press briefing

Tuesday 10 September 2013

9 – 9.15 a.m.
Report by the Nominations Commission

9.30 – 10.15 a.m.
Election of new IOC members

10.15 – 10.30 a.m.
Proposal of honorary members

10.30 – 10.45 a.m.
Olympic Orders

11 a.m. – 12 p.m.
Election of the ninth IOC President

12.30 p.m.
Announcement of the ninth IOC President

3 – 3.45 p.m.
Election of an IOC Vice-President and a new member of the Executive Board

3.45 – 4.15 p.m.
Swearing in of new IOC members

4.15 – 4.40 p.m.
Miscellaneous

4.40 – 4.50 p.m.
Closing speech by IOC President Jacques Rogge

6.30 p.m.
Ninth IOC President’s press conference

Olympics.org

I expect Bubka's doing vodka shots down at the bar with Prince Albert.

Actually, we should do our own drinking game during the presentations - one shot each time either of those two ask a question. The trouble is, it risks us all passing out by the time of the announcement.

So, I've been invited to a colleague's going away party on Sunday afternoon in Newington - the former Sydney Olympic village. She's moving to Japan (Nagoya) for work.

I'm a bit superstitious...

It's 11 pm right? So what do the IOC members do at night anyway? Do they party? Surely, there must be some bid team members and volunteer hotties at that hotel? Do IOC members join in on that party?

I remember reading years ago (around the time of the 2006 CWG in Melb) that the Melbourne and Toronto 1996 bid teams got together to drink away their sorrows after the Tokyo announcement in 1990.

Interesting. I guess the question is whether Ed Hula has his finger on the pulse of the IOC or not.

I hope he's wrong. I think Istanbul is by far the most interesting, engaging choice. I just don't know if the IOC members will look past some of the ill-timed recent events. I hope they do.

So who would get Istanbul's votes again?

I think Istanbul's votes would split evenly.

If Madrid were out first, I believe Istanbul would benefit more than Tokyo.

If Tokyo were out first, I believe Istanbul would benefit more than Madrid.

It's in both Madrid and Tokyo's best interests to eliminate Istanbul in the first round because Istanbul has the potential to beat either one in the final. That's my opinion.

Interesting. I guess the question is whether Ed Hula has his finger on the pulse of the IOC or not.

What Ed Hula said in 2009 during 2016 race?

I remember his face during the interview with President Lula after the announcement, he looked still surprised Rio won.

So who would get Istanbul's votes again?

To be fair, I remember hearing just before the 2018 vote that Annecy still had a shot, and look how that ended up. Some people think they know things when they can never be sure.

I know. I even remember how some were so wowed by Annecy's final presentation & saying that they could win it afterall. Well, it didn't do anything in the end.

The vote: 19:45 to 20:00 British Summer Time.

during the vote we will know the first city to be eliminated after the first round as Sir Rols mentioned.

The announcement: 21:00 - 21:30 BST.

Right, if need be, I'll watch the stream, but is this being shown on conventional TV anywhere in Britain? And will the stream work on an apple device?

What Ed Hula said in 2009 during 2016 race?

I remember his face during the interview with President Lula after the announcement, he looked still surprised Rio won.

Any race is not predictable, but what he is saying is IOC members think its down to Madrid and Tokyo, but there is still campaigning and presentations to go.

Archived