Sign in to follow this  
Crusader

A Lisbon bid - bids from smaller countries.

why are you replying .... I was posting because the last few comments have been on Amsterdam.

You are blocked. Why don't you block me?

:lol: I still want 2 have a little fun!

I think that Games in Amsterdam would feel a lot like the London Games. They would probably use them to rehabilitate one of the industrial wastelands around the city. The Dutch spectators are extremely enthusiastic and they love sports. They are mostly multilingual which would make them great volunteers. They even have a queen, too.

I think the success of London is a major incentive to have the Games again in a large Northwestern european city. This is a big plus for Amsterdam.

• Like 1

Do you think Stockholm can still make a go for it? I keep reading bits here saying that it was the most sensible bid (ergo the most IOC-repellent bid) in the 2004 race.

Also:

I still believe that the SOGs can and should be scaled down. It's a pity if cities/countries with terrific culture/atmosphere and excellent sporting records cannot host an Olympics just because they are smaller than the typical Olympic host city. Yeah, hosting an SOG will always cost billions and I suspect a city will never be able to recoup the cost in hard cash even in the long term, but intelligent planning can probably mean spending just, say, $4 billion instead of $10 billion.

Maybe my point is flawed because I have yet to experience an SOG in person, but as far as physical infrastructure is concerned, the SOG isn't that big for me. Given that most cities already have existing athletics/ceremony-capable stadiums, the biggest new venue for future games would probably be the athletes village. Ideally/Generally/Hypothetically speaking, a potential host city would have around half of the required venues already built prior to the bid. The rest would be half-new/permanent and half-temporary. Heck, they can even just build temporary venues for the rest.

As for size constraints, I'll use Singapore as a hypothetical example. I've been there a couple of times and have explored the city/country quite extensively and believe me when I say that they have space for a full-blown SOG. All other obviously SOG-preventive factors disregarded, the city space (including public transport and spectator accommodation) itself is capable of hosting an SOG. Its small size is its advantage.