FIFA WORLD CUP BRAZIL 2014 MASCOT?

Hi guys

I did read this new at VEJA site:

http://veja.abril.com.br/blog/radar-on-line/futebol/veja-o-desenho-do-mascote-da-copa-de-2014/ (in portuguese)

The tatu (armadillo) was choosed to be the mascot.

The WC 2014 has a mascot! Can we believe in VEJA? I don't believe what this magazine show.

mascotecopa2014-283x300.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So is its head meant to look like a football-ball or is that just coincidence?

I remember they said that, when he retreat onto his shell, he will transform onto a football-ball. So I think it's not coincidence.

FIFA confirmed that the official unveiling of the mascot (as well for the beggining of the poll to chose his name) will happen in September 16 (this sunday) at the brazilian television. ^^ I remembe

Is this the official design for real? Looks legit for me. Although I cant help but laugh at how easy was to leak information from Brazil 2014 (for example we knew how the logo would be a month before its official unveiling)

I do like it. Not as good as Zakumi but at least far better than the abominations we had in 2002 and 2006 with those weird aliens and the retarded half-naked lion. Also i'm glad they picked another species which wasn't used before in the event.

I say we wait and see his official unveiling. I'm sure the reception will be better when we see him in action, as well for other poses.

I like the character, the idea, but not a huge fan of the "cloth"... He is using the same one Zakumi was wearing for South Africa 2010... Same colors!!!

Indeed Zakumi seems more Brazilian about colors than the armadillo...

But the character got great.

If we look at the older logos and mascots we can see a "FIFA standard". The ball is the same we can see at France 1998 logo. Leo, Zakumi and the brazilian mascot use a similar uniform. It's not great coz we can't see the free creativity from the host nation in the logos and mascots.

Maybe the same agency which worked on Zakumi did the design of the armadillo (something similar to what happened with the last two Euros). Although those were based in Cape Town, so I dunno if it was coincidence or they're following a FIFA standard for the clothing as RIOMAN said.

Most of us already knew earlier this year they choose the Armadillo as the basis for the mascot. I also remember to have read that they wanted the mascot to be reminiscing of a japanese cartoon/anime.He clearly has some traits of it, as seen in the design, which makes me believe this pic posted by Veja is probably the real thing.

Is this the official design for real? Looks legit for me. Although I cant help but laugh at how easy was to leak information from Brazil 2014 (for example we knew how the logo would be a month before its official unveiling)

I do like it. Not as good as Zakumi but at least far better than the abominations we had in 2002 and 2006 with those weird aliens and the retarded half-naked lion. Also i'm glad they picked another species which wasn't used before in the event.

I say we wait and see his official unveiling. I'm sure the reception will be better when we see him in action, as well for other poses.

I didn't even realize the lion was half-naked.

Well, it's official now. That little guy is the real mascot of the WC

Registered in Switzerland confirms three-banded armadillo as the 2014 World Cup mascot

http://copadomundo.uol.com.br/noticias/redacao/2012/09/11/registro-na-suica-confirma-tatu-bola-como-mascote-da-copa-de-2014.htm

tatu-bola-mascote-da-copa-de-2014-no-brasil-1347368112426_615x470.jpg

reproducao-de-registro-de-mascote-da-copa-na-suica-1347368818473_300x500.jpg

FIFA reported on Tuesday produced the image of the doll that is the mascot of World Cup 2014. The UOL Sports had access to the document with the design of the three-banded armadillo is the stylized symbol of the World.

Reproduction of recorded document that the design of the three-banded armadillo as official mascot of the 2014 World Cup

Registration is done at the Institute of trademarks and patents in Switzerland, where FIFA is headquartered. As the brand's mascot is owned by organizing Cup bureaucratic procedures are always done before in the European country.

The image of the three-banded armadillo is similar to the last released Sept. 1 by Veja magazine. On registration of the mark, however, there is no definition of colors. It is customary in the advertising market registering trademarks, logos and images of enterprises and institutions in black and white. This is done to ensure that the rights under the use of the same with any color variation.

On record, Fifa guarantees exclusive use of the image of the three-banded armadillo in 45 kinds of products, ranging from glasses, food services through travel agencies, among others. Only the governing body of football and its sponsors may use the image of the three-banded armadillo for commercial purposes.

Fifa does not rule on the definition of mascot. The entity will launch its symbol of the 2014 World Cup later this month. The announcement will be made in advertising campaigns of World Cup sponsors, including Coca-Cola, Sony and Adidas.

^^ I was going to post him right now :lol: Looks like you beat me.

I'm liking this mascot so far. The best thing that has come from the Brasil 2014 look so far IMO. I hope Rio 2016 mascot will be good as well.

Although I can't help but find that pose a bit awkward (like he's trying to give the middle finger or something XD)

I remember they said that, when he retreat onto his shell, he will transform onto a football-ball. So I think it's not coincidence.

• Like 1

So this logo is teaching kids to kick armadillos around.

Animal cruelty people are going to be on this in a second.

^^ I suposse he will move himself as a ball (like Sonic the Hedgehog or something) but now that you say that :lol: it reminds me of what Greenpeace did with the Vancouver 2010 mascots, criticizing the seal and whale hunting. So who knows if they also poke fun of him :P

In Portuguese, this species of Armadillo is known as "Tatu-Bola", literally "Ball-Armadillo", because he really became a ball, Sonic The Hedgehog-like

More, the pattern in the Armadillo's back really resemble a football-ball

foto-tatu-bola-04.jpg

So this logo is teaching kids to kick armadillos around.

Animal cruelty people are going to be on this in a second.

The sad note about your joke, this armadillo is hard to find, and indeed, it was chosen as part of a campaign to avoid its extinction...

Don't worry, there are not many to be kicked around...

^^ I was going to post him right now :lol: Looks like you beat me.

I'm liking this mascot so far. The best thing that has come from the Brasil 2014 look so far IMO. I hope Rio 2016 mascot will be good as well.

Although I can't help but find that pose a bit awkward (like he's trying to give the middle finger or something XD)

I think every single human being agrees the logo of the WC is not good, but I must confess I liked the "look of the World Cup" itself.

n_selecao_brasileira_sorteio_das_eliminatorias-3417634.jpg

FIFA confirmed that the official unveiling of the mascot (as well for the beggining of the poll to chose his name) will happen in September 16 (this sunday) at the brazilian television.

^^ I remember that vid :lol: you can tell Disney had a period of romance with Brazil during those years (the character of Ze Carioca and the Tres Caballeors animated film is probably the best example of it.)

• Like 1

mascotes_copas_60.jpg

I like Zakumi, Footix (1998) and Striker (1994). But the 2014 one is really the best and have an icredible potential. Imagine a doll that turns into a ball? Brilliant!

• Like 1

Striker, Zakumi and the Brazilian one are my faves. And I think Brazil's is the best of all. Well done Brazil!

Actually, I guess this means we're not going to see the Rio 2016 mascot till after 2014. I doubt they'd want to flood the local and world markets with too many competing mascots.

Edited by Sir Rols

great image, some of these mascots just fade off my mind but remember well the Naranjito and Ciao

My favorites are Pique and Ciao but it's funny that I haven't really paid any attention to these most recent ones of this millenium, however do remember very well the ones from the last century. In fact, it's almost as if I was looking the mascots of 2002-2010 for the first time! Then again, these World Cups were nothing special in terms of football either...