Please Sign This Petition For London To Host 2028 Olympic Games

sebbyb

How ridiculous.

Exactly, what's the point of this anyway...it's the IOC that awards Olympic Games, so a petition is unlikely to impress them or keep them from pursuing the commercial interests of the Olympic Movement.

Exactly, what's the point of this anyway...it's the IOC that awards Olympic Games, so a petition is unlikely to impress them or keep them from pursuing the commercial interests of the Olympic Movement.

Well, I kind of risk defending the idiot who started this thread.

But...

The UK government has this petition system on their website and if a petition gets 100,000 signatures it triggers a debate in the House of Commons.

As of writing this, 7 petitions have gained 100,000 signatures and have had an official response to the topic raised.

So - I presume the point of this petition is to show the government that people want them to bid for the 2028 Summer Olympics.

...and the fact it currently has just 5 people signed up shows that not many people are greedy morons.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions?state=closed

I'm sorry. I don't support this idea. London hosted remarkable Games. But so did Barcelona. And Sydney. And there are probably 20 other cities in the world that I'd like to see host the Olympics before London does for a 4th time (although in all likelihood for a man my age, I might get to see 10-12 more Olympiads).

Yep, Britons might have enjoyed the two weeks of the Games (despite a lot of them whinging about it for 7 years), but the Olympics are a 'once in a lifetime' experience. The Winter version came to my town just two years ago and I would love to relive them, but I know that isn't going to happen. So we all move on and let others have their shot.

Lol...well if nobody else bids for 2028, London might just be in with a chance after all! :P

But if there are other bidders, as I suspect there will be, I somehow doubt the IOC will want to rush back to a city that has hosted them three times before, the most recent being a mere 16 years earlier, no matter how good they were! Not to mention the problem of 'The Missing Hostess Scandal' which apparently upset one or two of the IOC members at London 2012! :wacko:;) .

However I applaud the e-petitioner's enthusiasm, however naive and misguided. Clearly he is an enthusiastic supporter of the Olympics. He should post his views on here where wiser heads will no doubt put him right about a thing or two...always in the nicest possible way of course! :D

So we all move on and let others have their shot.

Agreed. And just to make it clear, nobody - absolutely nobody (apart from this guy) is even talking/thinking about another UK Olympics. I think it's fair to say we are all very happy with the way it has gone and are looking forward to the Paralympics. Less than 3 hours to go!

Funny thread.

London obviously won't have a real chance at winning a bid for a good few decades. I hope I do get to see another London Games when I'm old and grey - "When I was young, we had the Olympics here in 2012....things were much simpler then, the whole thing only cost £9bn would you believe! You couldn't build a single robo-athlete fot that knd of money now! Happy times!"

Anyway, to save this thread becoming a complete waste of bandwidth though, what if God gets bored and - during his giant game of SimCity in the sky - unleashes a plague of locusts on Istanbul in the next few years decimating the city's population and with it, its chances of hosting the Games. How quickly could London step-in to save the day? Would the city need a year, two, more?

Funny thread.

London obviously won't have a real chance at winning a bid for a good few decades. I hope I do get to see another London Games when I'm old and grey - "When I was young, we had the Olympics here in 2012....things were much simpler then, the whole thing only cost £9bn would you believe! You couldn't build a single robo-athlete fot that knd of money now! Happy times!"

Anyway, to save this thread becoming a complete waste of bandwidth though, what if God gets bored and - during his giant game of SimCity in the sky - unleashes a plague of locusts on Istanbul in the next few years decimating the city's population and with it, its chances of hosting the Games. How quickly could London step-in to save the day? Would the city need a year, two, more?

then LA will step in!

really people saying am wrong then what is this http://www.metro.co....says-ioc-member

That's 1 person speaking in generality. How many lines have we heard like that, including direct from Rogge, that have no basis in reality. If you seriously think that the Olympics will return to London in 2028 (which means they'd have to win a vote in 2021, less than a decade out from these Olympics), you're delusional.

That's 1 person speaking in generality. How many lines have we heard like that, including direct from Rogge, that have no basis in reality. If you seriously think that the Olympics will return to London in 2028 (which means they'd have to win a vote in 2021, less than a decade out from these Olympics), you're delusional.

Yeh, even if some the ioc did want a London 2028 and it was a possibility. I wouldn't want it.

It's too soon, and would look greedy and would probably take away of the uniqueness of London2012

I "third" Quaker's comments and add the following observations (and no, I can't believe I'm actually responding to this!)

1.) There are several metropolitan areas in the world that can successfully mount a bid and subsequently ensure a pitch-perfect logistical and organizational execution of the Games. Examples include Paris, Madrid and Istanbul. In fact, several NOCs (including the United States, Australia, Germany, Spain, South Africa, China, Canada, arguably France and Russia) have more than just one city that would be perfectly able to organize the Summer Olympics. If you have doubts, check out the various "Future Bids" threads (like Berlin 2036, USA 2024 and so forth). You've got cities like New York City, Los Angeles, Dallas, San Francisco and Boston lining up just in the United States...and those are just the well-known ones.

Then, you've got a number of technically qualified candidates and dark horses who probably would be capable one day, but for a variety of reasons are deemed unworthy as of now. Let's say Doha, Dubai and other such places falling into this category. Plus, there'll be interesting dark horses lining up as well. What about the Latin American Olympic Games post-Rio? How about an Olympic Games in India (Note: Yes, I'm aware of the mess Messrs Kalmadi and his corrupt cronies made of the Commonwealth Games; but once the Indians have resolved issues of common-sense organization, basic good governance, corruption and politicization of their sporting organizations, the consumer market there will be too tempting for the IOC and its TOP partners to pass over...don't ask me for a date: I'm looking at any point between the late 2030s or mid-2040s). How about a Central Asian Olympics in Baku one day? Or one in the Far East, namely in Singapore or Hong Kong? There are infinite possibilities for the IOC to choose from. Diversity is indeed the spice of life, so why would the IOC wish to return to London when they have a number of attractive choices (and dark horses which aren't ready at this time, like Delhi)?

2.) Experience demonstrates that any Olympics tends to be a once-in-a-generation event. Just look at the repeat hosts.

London: hosted after exactly 64 years

Los Angeles: hosted the 1984 Olympics after precisely 52 years (oh, and it was the only NOC candidate for 1984)

Athens: hosted after 112 years

Paris: hasn't hosted for 88 years

3.) Frankie Fredericks is just one of around 100+ IOC members. It's an IOC as a collegiate organ that makes these decisions, and it has its own criteria. As far as 2028 is concerned, the IOC would have no commercially viable interest in returning to London.

Even if, God (or: insert higher power of your choice) forbid, there was some disaster preventing a future host city from carrying out its duties as stipulated in its Host City Contract with the IOC, the ladies and gentlemen of Lausanne would have a number of choices. For instance, they did consider Munich as a potential alternative host city in the event that Seoul hadn't been able to host the Games in 1988.

Which is why this entire discussion that you seem to generate (for laughs?) is entirely and utterly redundant! And I guarantee you, London City Hall and any Prime Minister won't think about a new bid until at least a generation has passed.

So, in closing: Can we please enjoy the Paralympic Games? And could you please invest your energy on serious discussion within this forum or just be quiet? Thank you!

PS: I utterly loved London 2012, but I just had to put this completely unrealistic idea of yours straight - hence, apologies for the length of my post!

You never know, global recession, shortage of candidates with one or two - or no - credible bidder, ... this is not totally absurd.

Remember Innsbruck.

Chances are that if a global recession is involved, the United Kingdom is likely to be affected - if only because it is a key international financial centre...

...before the US gets another Summer Olympics....

Add to that Germany, Canada, Australia, Russia, South Africa, China...you get the drift...

You never know, global recession, shortage of candidates with one or two - or no - credible bidder, ... this is not totally absurd.

Remember Innsbruck.

That's different though. Innsbruck stepped in as host late in the game because the original host decided not to fulfill their obligation and the IOC needed a replacement. Innsbruck didn't bid for those Olympics just years after they hosted. If London were to step in as host because of some global catastrophe, that's one thing. But for them to bid for the 2028 (as opposed to being selected as host for lack of other candidates) is, without question, totally absurd.

Archived