Sign in to follow this  
Citius Altius Fortius

40th anniversary - Games of the XX. Olympiad in München 1972

The complete opening ceremony is in Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LA8b7zifqA

I've always liked the look of those games, and not only 1972 but also the Mexican competitions of 1968 OG and 1970 WC. There's something maybe in bit of a naive way appealing and fresh about that early seventies and late sixties style.

It's weird however that between 1968 and 1974 the two biggest sport events were hosted by only two countries.

Munich 1972 was the first Olympic Games I watched in any great detail. I recall how much I enjoyed the Opening Ceremony and the general look of the stadium and venues and the brilliant atmosphere. One could sense how much effort Munich and the Germans had put into this event to banish the memory of the 'Nazi' Berlin Olympics of 1936 and they so very nearly succeeded but for the terrible tragedy of the murder of the 11 Israeli athletes.

Even this tragedy could not banish the memory of so many great sporting performances from the likes of Mark Spitz, Olga Korbut, Valery Borzov and, for us Brits in particular, Mary Peters narrowly beating Heide Rosendahl to win the Penthalon at the 'venerable' age of 33!

Munich '72 evokes so many memories for me, both great and sad. It made such an impression on me that I remember wishing we could hold them in the UK at some time in the near future. Little did I realise that it would take 40 years to happen but it was worth it. Thank you Munich 1972!

Edited by Mainad

There is just a very interesting documentary about the Olympic Games in Munich - mostly private Super-8 movies are used for the documentary

Very interesting movies from the constructions sites of the Olympiapark and in the city centre, where the underground system was built!!!

Furthermore movies how the hostesses and volunteers were trained...

Edited by Citius Altius Fortius

... there is a movie shown about hostesses - in which Sylvia Sommerlath, who was a hostess in Munich, is interviewed together with a friend of her - she met later the Swedish king during the Games and married him.

She is Queen Sylvia from Sweden now

This documentary is just wonderful - the private movies are so vivid that you have the impression that it is 40 years ago right now...

And there is even one private picture of the terror attack - and a lot of movies of the shock/feelings in Munich afterwards

Edited by Citius Altius Fortius