The Next Asian Host Olympic Frontier?

Kenadian

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kai Tak Airport has not been redeveloped since Hong Kong International Airport was built. It is just a vacant area in the middle of Hong Kong ripe for redevelopment and they are already talking of built a major multi-purpose stadium there.

That's one of what? 2 dozen venues needed. Will the Beijing gov't really spend another $30 billion for a whole 'nother set of venues when they really favor Shanghai?

That's one of what? 2 dozen venues needed. Will the Beijing gov't really spend another $30 billion for a whole 'nother set of venues when they really favor Shanghai?

Not wishing to go into too much depth but Hong Kong held the East Asian Games in 2009 a multi sport event so I would say they have more than one venue that could be used, though of course some might need to be expanded.

and Guangzhou (Canton) might be of equal interest to the Chinese as a future host.

maybe singapore and kuala lumpur should join together and host olympic games in the future?

Not going to happen - the Olympic Charter would have to be amended to permit such a joint bid. Besides, the rivalry between Malaysia and Singapore is well-documented: I honestly doubt the requisite authorities would wish to submit a joint candidacy (unless you can enlighten me to the contrary, of course).

Finally, unfairly or not, I really think that Singapore would have a better shot than KL when it comes to mount a winning bid. The Youth Olympic Games was certainly a first test run in this regard.

I think Singapore could potentially host a "small scale" Olympics.

The city was brought up on skyscrapercity.com and the more I think about it, the more it could work.

http://www.skyscrape...2&postcount=337

That definitely sounds like a great idea. However, the IOC would have to somewhat scale the Olympic Games down. I think Singapore needs to make an honest effort at winning either (ideally: both) the Commonwealth Games and the Asian Games in the future. I'm sure they'd execute it quite nicely and add that to their portfolio...

Not going to happen - the Olympic Charter would have to be amended to permit such a joint bid. Besides, the rivalry between Malaysia and Singapore is well-documented:

The Olympic charter should be amended to permit joint bids. For all the talk IOC members give about bringing the games to the world, begging RSA to bid etc. they don't take some simple steps that would greatly enhance to possibilites of such cities hosting. This is the biggest.

Note - there is no more bitter rivalry on the planet than between Japan and Korea. Bad blood going back thousands of years. They co-hosted the World Cup.

Actually, no it shouldn't. Allowing joint bids would only be the beginning of diluting what makes the Olympic Games so special TBW. And that's bringing the world together in one place.

All such a move would accomplish is having two Olympic Games at once & that'll start to diminish the experience of the Games. Like someone else on these boards says; "the Olympic Games R a 'luxury', not a right". If you need 'help', by outside assistance or by 'amedning' the rules so you can host, then you can't really afford the Olympics in the first place.

I too am strongly against the idea of joint bids.

However, in saying that, I believe that there are a few examples of where it could be done well, most notable a joint Games between Edinburgh and Glasgow, perhaps under the banner of Scotland. While it would never happen, if it were possible it would offer a great different perspective of Britain to what London has given. It would be beautiful.

As for the topic at hand...

I really wanted Delhi to succeed in 2010 to allow a credible bid to go forward in the 2020's, but ultimately I think Indian bureaucracy is something to be reckoned with and sadly I can't see it happening in the next 20 years at least. Their lack of interest in the Olympics itself backs this up.

As for elsewhere in Asia, I think KL has great potential, as does Bangkok if they can settle their civil issues.

Shanghai is the obvious venue for a second Chinese Summer Olympics - which might not be as far off as we might think.

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe it's just me, but I considerate Guangzhou as a threat for Shanghai future bid:

-Named one of the 13 emerging megacities of China

-Center of the cantonese culture

-Southern China's largest city

-Growning GDP inside the country -13,0%

-Multicultural city inside China with african and asian immigration

The most important obstacle for this city is the climate -Typhoon season-.

This seems to boil down to citizens of the commonwealth saying anywhere but India, and people who aren't from the commonwealth saying India, right? With exceptions, of course.

-----------------------

If Iran finally has a successful revolution, it's a possibility. Kazakhstan would also be very likely to bid, and may even get them in time. SE Asia has climate problems, but not completely impossible.

But overall, I'd say the Persian Gulf states seem the most likely 'new frontier' to win a games in the next 5-6 cycles, and even then it's quite unlikely.

India could host Olympics games perhaps?

I would love to see India host the Olympics - but I feel that despite its size, it might not happen for 50 years. I don't really think the Olympics means a great deal to people in India either. People often try to make out that it is the "next China", but it's simply not the case as Indian's are not as mobilised by their Government as the Chinese are.

The 2010 Commonwealth Games were not the best, either

Also - as for new Asian frontiers for the Summer Olympics - it's gotta be SE Asia. Currently Bangkok is too unpredictable with social unrest, but it would otherwise be amazing to see a Thai Olympics. Others are KL and Singapore. Jakarta could happen. Ultimately I could see Jakarta, KL, Singapore and Bangkok before Delhi or Mumbai.

What about Manila? I don't know enough about the place to pass judgement.

Archived