The Next Asian Host Olympic Frontier?

Kenadian

Japan hosted the first Olympic Games in Asia with Tokyo 1964 (after resigning the 1940 Games due to the war). And Tokyo is again a candidate for the Summer Games of 2020.

Korea then hosted with Seoul 1988.

And China had its turn with Beijing 2008.

Japan broke the Olympic Winter Games Asian frontier with Sapporo 1972 (although, again having resigned the 1940 Winter Games due to war), hosted again with Nagano 1998. And Korea will follow with the third in PyeongChang 2018

What other 'new frontier' Asian city/country could you see realistically hosting the Olympics in the not-too-distant future?

Bangkok, Thailand and Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia were non-finalized applicants for the 2008 Summer Games and Doha, Qatar and Baku, Azerbaijan were non-finalized applicants for the Summer Games of 2016 and 2020. Harbin, China was a non-finalized applicant for the 2010 Winter Games and Almaty, Kazakhstan and Borjomi, Georgia were non-finalized applicants for the 2014 Winter Games.

Istanbul, Turkey is a current candidate for 2020 and previous applicant and candidate for the Summer Games between 2000-2012. And Sochi, Russia will host the 2014 Winter Games. But both cities are on the frontiers of Europe, so that's up for for debate as to how fully 'Asian' or 'European' they are. So let's consider it holistically, and ponder what other realistic Olympic host options there are in the world's most expansive and most populous continent.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would love to see Singapore go for the Games

Singapore might qualify financially, but it does NOT have the critical mass to support a Summer Games. If Greece with a population of 11 million barely got by, Singapore, a city state of less than 5 million today, hosting? That's why they got the YOGs; and partially who Doha/Qatar was denied it. Not to mention where would the 3 soccer satellite cities be?

Delhi would be the only other city that might be taken seriously, as it would represent the 2nd most populous nation on the planet.

Delhi would be the only other city that might be taken seriously, as it would represent the 2nd most populous nation on the planet.

I agree. N by then, India will likely be the most populous nation on the planet, & can play that card just like the Chinese did.

China, Korea and Japan are the sports leaders in the region, but a lot of Asian countries will have to work on their Olympic performance to get up to snuff. In 23 Olympiads, India is still only 4 medals ahead of what Michael Phelps has. Iran, Kazakhstan, North Korea, Indonesia and Azerbaijan are all ahead of India on overall medal counts, but most of them would have too many issues to overcome to land the Games, although Tehran did contemplate a bid for 1984, but that was before the Islamic Revolution.

For the Summer Olympics Games it is really Bangkok Thailand who is the real new Frontier they hosted the 4 Asian Games in 1966, 1970, 1978 and 1998 and 4 SEA Games in 1959, 1967, 1975 and 1985 and the 2007 World Student Summer Games, Bangkok Thailand is the gateway to half of the worlds people if they get the 2020 World Expo in Ayutthaya 45 mins North of Bangkok then it is really looking good for Bangkok Thailand to host the Olympics Games.

Bangkok in this decade is having a massive public transport system upgrade with 8 new train lines and a Airport link Bangkok is one of the most visited city in the world and if Tokyo Japan gets the 2020 Olympics Games then I could see Bangkok Thailand hosting the 2032 or 36 Olympics Games and if Istanbul Turkey gets the 2020 Olympics Games then I can see Bangkok Thailand hosting the 2028 Olympics Games.

Thailand has also a booming economy and no Summer Olympics Games has even been to South East Asia to looks like Bangkok will be the next new place to host the Games.

For the Winter Olympics Games then I can really see it is Almaty Kazakhstan Almaty co hosted the 2011 Asian Winter Games with Astana and will be hosting the 2017 World Student Winter Games and if Astana beats Belgium to host the 2017 World Expo then I really could see Almaty Kazakhstan hosting the 2030 Winter Olympics Games Almaty is growing with infrastructure and Kazakhstan has also got a fast booming economy and it will also be Central Asia 1st Olympics and Paralympics Games and it will take the Olympics Games to a new region.

Kazakhstan is also becoming a sports mad and sports loving country their sports is improving as well in the Asian Winter Games in 2011 they beating the top 3 winter sports power in Asia beating China, Japan and South Korea and they got 12th place at London 2012 got 7 Gold 1 Silver and 3 Bronze 13 all up at the games which is pretty good I can not wait until what they do and becoming in Sochi Russia 2014 Kazakhstan is becoming a sports power now.

I would tend to agree with the Baron on this particular point. For the purposes of disclosure, I would most certainly love to see the Olympic Games in India one day, in the not-too-distant future. Besides Games in Germany, that's the other country where I would be thrilled to attend a Games. Out of all the Indian cities, Delhi is the only one that is capable of pulling off the Summer Olympic Games. However, due to organizational, financial and social issues, I only see Delhi getting the IOC nod for sometime in the 2030s. Let's examine the advantages and the disadvantages of a Delhi Games:

ADVANTAGES

- Population of 1.2 billion citizens, plus an Indian diaspora that would also be supportive of Olympic Games being held in India's

capital city. Even if you discount the approximately 30% of citizens below the UN poverty line, there is a sizable chunk of Indians

totalling around 650-700 million who are classified as "middle-class" or "upper-class". This is a commercial opportunity that the

IOC cannot pass up forever. One-third of India's population is below the age of 18 - talk about "inspiring a generation"!

- Infrastructure has been upgraded extensively: The Indira Gandhi International Airport boasts a state-of-the-art third terminal,

which on its own can handle 32 million passengers/year. The upgrade programme for the entire airport aims to boost its

capacity to a whopping 100 million passengers/year. The Delhi Metro has been a resounding success and there wouldn't be as

many concerns about air conditioning, ability to handle an additional influx of Olympics visitors and the novelty of the Metro

network as in London (which pulled it off extremely well). During the Commonwealth Games, the system worked beautifully.

- In terms of accommodation, Delhi is able (as of today) to host the members of the Olympic Family in 17 five-star hotels. Also,

the truly professional restaurants can certainly compete in terms of cuisine, food and service. The cost of living in India is a

fraction of what it is in the Western world, even after free-market reforms and the inevitable real estate boom.

- I think anyone who has been to India is aware of the rich culture, ancient history and beautiful landscapes that the country has

to offer to the world. There is something for everyone: skiing in Shimla, surfing in Goa, braving the Rajasthan desert, checking

out the Lodi Gardens in Delhi, boating at Periyar National Park are just a few examples of how to spend time in India. Delhi has

a host of cultural attractions, including museums, art galleries and historical monuments. It's a blend of ancient times, the

colonial era and the ambition that also characterizes modern India.

- In terms of time zones, it's not a bad Games at all. Easily reachable for almost everyone in the Asia-Pacific region, in the

summer only 3:30 hours ahead of CET. And the main finals could be watched from across the pond as well, during the

afternoon. To accommodate for the monsoon, the Games could be held in September/October, Sydney-style, or at the beginning

of June.

- Quite a few of the venues are in place, including the Nehru Stadium (but I'll get to that in the "Disadvantages" section) and other

venues that can be adjusted according to the requirements of international federations.

- The media narrative: Prior to the Beijing Games, Delhi would not have had a built-in protection against accusations of

hypocrisy, the classical social argument ("How can you host Games, whilst you have got swaths of poor people living on 2 USD

a day?"), the possession of nuclear weapons and so on. This can be easily countered by demonstrating the progress the

county has made in the past 20 years since free-market reforms were introduced in 1991. Of course, there will be the inevitable

human rights campaigners and environmentalists. But let these go up against India's ingrained image of a culturally rich

democracy, the opportunity of a new frontier and Indians' genuine enthusiasm for an Olympic Games, these anti-Olympic

elements won't count for much. Count on IOC polls to record more than 80%+ approval throughout India and Delhi.

- The opening flourish: Even though the Opening Ceremony of the Commonwealth Games was adequate, Delhi needs to step up

its game. However, given seven years to prepare, the stricter oversight by the IOC and Indians' enthusiasm about bringing

success to what they would regard as a national prestige issue, the Opening Ceremony of Delhi 2036(40) would be full of

exciting cultural, musical and artistic elements.

DISADVANTAGES

As much as I would love a Delhi Games asap, we also need to think about the following disadvantages

- Corruption: I think that this is an obvious thing - the Commonwealth Games were marred by a political hack, Suresh Kalmadi,

having been put in charge of the effort. Neither was he from Delhi, nor did he have any business or executive experience that

could have guaranteed a smooth delivery of the venues and certain aspects of the Games. Only a strong intervention by the

federal government saved the day.

- Infrastructure: The government needs to pass draconian measures in order to deal with the car traffic in Delhi, which is

nightmarish at times (it has improved on my past few trips). They definitely need to sort out the Bus Rapid Transit, as it

represented a problem during the Commonwealth Games. More hotels need to be built.

- Venues and Legacy: This is an important one. There are a number of questions the answer to which depends on the calibre of

person selected to lead the bid and organizing committees. Will the Nehru Stadium be re-used? It should be, since a second

100,000-seater stadium in Delhi makes no sense. Will Delhi construct an Olympic Park? If yes, there will be debates re: land

acquisition.

- Formalities: I think the Indian Parliament would also need to pass tough Olympic legislation, since the IOC will not accept

anything less than absolute enforcement of Olympic brand protection. India is a large market, but is also known for instances of

counterfeiting.

- Indian Sport: It's nowhere near China at this time or any of the top 20. Sports federations are notoriously politicized and winning

initiatives usually emanate from the private sector. That said, there are signs for progress that could snowball towards a higher

medal haul in the future. India took home six Olympic medals, more than at any Games. That indicates that the legacy of Delhi

2010 has had a positive sportive effect. Expect the Indians to mount a Herculean effort in all sports for a home Games.

ASSESSMENT

Do I think that Delhi can host a "New Frontier" Olympics one day? Absolutely!

BUT: It will require Delhi learning from the Commonwealth Games and not putting a party political hack in charge of something as important as bidding for the Games of the 35th/36th Olympiad. For the various negatives above, I think that Delhi will need some more time to mature, before they can mount a credible and winning bid for 2032 or 2036. The CEO of such a bid will have to be someone with credible business experience and impeccable integrity. But most importantly, the bid needs a message. It can't be "Give us the Games, and we will create x jobs". It has to be something combining the number of young people in India, the uniqueness of Olympic Games in India and new frontier that the IOC would cross. Ideally, you would have an element involving multiple, sustained projects for the poor and the environment as well.

Apologies for the terrible format, I still haven't figured out how to edit my posts...

I agree with them hosting a games "one day" however 2030's is too soon. Africa, USA, France, Japan. Plus no offence to the Indians or those who support a games which i would go to, relatively cheap flights but the 2010 commonwealth games were appalling. This is not just an opinion of an Australian guy I have friends in India and they said there was massive amounts of corruption and the games were not prepared in time. And that would definitely have an affect. The country also needs to improve their medal haul. Being in every games since 1920 (and 1900) 9 golds is a poor effort. Belarus has 12 golds and has only been in 5 games. Azerbaijan has 6 golds and also only been in 5 games. Belarus a country of around 9 million sent 165 people India a country 1.2 billion only sent 83. Anyway they probably should improve the people in poverty in India.

I agree with them hosting a games "one day" however 2030's is too soon. Africa, USA, France, Japan. Plus no offence to the Indians or those who support a games which i would go to, relatively cheap flights but the 2010 commonwealth games were appalling. [...]The country also needs to improve their medal haul. Being in every games since 1920 (and 1900) 9 golds is a poor effort. Belarus has 12 golds and has only been in 5 games. Azerbaijan has 6 golds and also only been in 5 games. Belarus a country of around 9 million sent 165 people India a country 1.2 billion only sent 83. Anyway they probably should improve the people in poverty in India.

Is there poverty in India? Most certainly! But, reporting on "poverty in India" has been massively over-hyped. It fits in with clichés that have been cultivated over decades. This argument also ignores that the country has already made strides in that department. A sizable middle class is for its day in the limelight, and the IOC (as well as the TOP sponsors) would be keen on making extensive use of that market. I certainly did not see them being concerned by levels of overall levels of poverty in Brazil or crime in Rio de Janeiro or by the signs of economic difficulties that were already heading towards Athens in 2004. Or in Mexico 1968. The various issues regarding poverty and unemployment in South Africa didn't stop FIFA from awarding the 2010 World Cup to the country. So, whilst I agree with you that prosperity has still not touched a sufficient number of Indians and more strides need to be made, I really doubt that this will be a reason for the IOC to deny Delhi the Games by the mid-2030s. What the IOC cares about are markets, a good narrative and precision in organization. It's the last element (precision) on which I would vote against Delhi hosting the Olympic Games, were I asked to award the Games today.

Corruption is the one issue I'd be concerned about: I would have big difficulties with another person from the political or state sector heading a bid for a Games in India. It has to be a businessman with the inspiring personality needed to cajole IOC members and convince the rest of the country alike. On the plus side, Indian civil society names and shames purveyors of corruption: from what I'm reading, the organizers of the Commonwealth Games are being sent behind bars. Sports federations need to be de-politicized and private sponsors need to be brought in even more. In that respect, India's sports scene could do with an ambitious Ueberroth/Coe-like figure. As for Azerbaijan and Belarus: Well, these countries don't exactly face the same challenges as India (in terms of population, reforms and the like). Azerbaijan is also quite blessed with natural resources that it can freely spend. India also affords itself the luxury of a democratic government, something that Belarus or Azerbaijan can't exactly brag about. That obvious makes things easier - but, as a comparison of the opening ceremonies in Beijing and London suggests, that doesn't equate to passion or heart.

I'm not being an apologist for India or failed social policies in that country. But I do think that a more considered view might be merited in good time.

KL sounds like an interesting idea - they hosted the 1998 Commonwealth Games. Are they still pursuing that Malaysia 2020 vision?

Hong Kong might be a bit too densely populated: Where would they build an Olympic Stadium and an Olympic Park?

Doha is not happening for the foreseeable future, especially given the timing issue, the lack of notable sporting tradition and the very small population of Qatar (despite the oil revenue), in any Olympic sport.

KL, Bangkok, Manila, Singapore, Djakarta, HKG will NEVER host in the future because unless there is a radical shift of the earth's poles, the July-Aug-Sept time period for this Southeast Asian region is monsoon/typhoon/hurricane season...the way it is for Florida and Miami. Manila alone, was slammed by I believe 3 successive typhoons while the Games were going on in London. They are in the "typhoon" belt. That's why even the SEA Games are held in December. So time and location do NOT favor the Southeast Asian region.

KL, Bangkok, Manila, Singapore, Djakarta, HKG will NEVER host in the future because unless there is a radical shift of the earth's poles, the July-Aug-Sept time period for this Southeast Asian region is monsoon/typhoon/hurricane season...the way it is for Florida and Miami. Manila alone, was slammed by I believe 3 successive typhoons while the Games were going on in London. That's why even the SEA Games are held in December. So time and location do NOT favor the Southeast Asian region.

Not quite sure about "never": Singapore and Hong Kong are known are locales with an excellent infrastructure - and both make for an interesting narrative. Though smaller, the Singaporeans have shown a knack for organizing the logistics of a multi-sport event. This may be a feather in its cap.

What may well happen is that these two cities obtain an authorization to host the Games in May/June or in October. As the history of the IOC proves, nothing is set in stone.

Not quite sure about "never": Singapore and Hong Kong are known are locales with an excellent infrastructure - and both make for an interesting narrative. Though smaller, the Singaporeans have shown a knack for organizing the logistics of a multi-sport event. This may be a feather in its cap.

What may well happen is that these two cities obtain an authorization to host the Games in May/June or in October. As the history of the IOC proves, nothing is set in stone.

Singapore does NOT have the critical mass to stage a SOGs. What other cities can stage the footies? THere is a reason those are given to far-flung cities.

HKG is too dense, crowded and over-built. It is like Sao Paulo. Unless you dredge up a few square miles of land, there is NO ROOM to create the popular venues in central locations where subways, trains, buses can easily deposit and pick up thousands of attendees. HKG is also DREADFUL in the summer. I don't know why u keep thinking it is a viable city. It is NOT. Besides, the Beijing gov't will always favor Shanghai over HK.

No love for Chinese Taipei or Dubai? They may bid for 2024 if Japan's 2020 bid is unsuccessful.

Chinese Taipei? Won't happen due to issues surrounding diplomatic recognition. It's one thing for Chinese Taipei to participate, it's quite another for them to host. The PRC would never stand for that and would certainly threaten a boycott of the Games behind closed doors.

Dubai? Whilst interesting as a more cosmopolitan city then Doha, can it offer more (in terms of a cultural narrative) than (please excuse my polemicism here) the desert, a great airport and shopping malls? Also, the Doha temperature issue will also cause havoc to a Dubai bid...

If Tokyo fails, I could well imagine that Asia will sit it out. India is nowhere near ready, it's too soon for China to have another bite of the Olympic cake and Korea is not hosting since Pyeongchang has already been handed the 2018 Winter Games. Plus, the 2024 race looks pretty much like one for Paris or Cape Town/Durban to lose. If Paris can summon a powerful message that goes beyond "We French have a passion for sport", they will win. End of story.

Which is why I also think that Germany needn't apply till 2028 or 2032.

Is there poverty in India? Most certainly! But, reporting on "poverty in India" has been massively over-hyped. It fits in with clichés that have been cultivated over decades. This argument also ignores that the country has already made strides in that department. A sizable middle class is for its day in the limelight, and the IOC (as well as the TOP sponsors) would be keen on making extensive use of that market. I certainly did not see them being concerned by levels of overall levels of poverty in Brazil or crime in Rio de Janeiro or by the signs of economic difficulties that were already heading towards Athens in 2004. Or in Mexico 1968. The various issues regarding poverty and unemployment in South Africa didn't stop FIFA from awarding the 2010 World Cup to the country. So, whilst I agree with you that prosperity has still not touched a sufficient number of Indians and more strides need to be made, I really doubt that this will be a reason for the IOC to deny Delhi the Games by the mid-2030s. What the IOC cares about are markets, a good narrative and precision in organization. It's the last element (precision) on which I would vote against Delhi hosting the Olympic Games, were I asked to award the Games today.

Corruption is the one issue I'd be concerned about: I would have big difficulties with another person from the political or state sector heading a bid for a Games in India. It has to be a businessman with the inspiring personality needed to cajole IOC members and convince the rest of the country alike. On the plus side, Indian civil society names and shames purveyors of corruption: from what I'm reading, the organizers of the Commonwealth Games are being sent behind bars. Sports federations need to be de-politicized and private sponsors need to be brought in even more. In that respect, India's sports scene could do with an ambitious Ueberroth/Coe-like figure. As for Azerbaijan and Belarus: Well, these countries don't exactly face the same challenges as India (in terms of population, reforms and the like). Azerbaijan is also quite blessed with natural resources that it can freely spend. India also affords itself the luxury of a democratic government, something that Belarus or Azerbaijan can't exactly brag about. That obvious makes things easier - but, as a comparison of the opening ceremonies in Beijing and London suggests, that doesn't equate to passion or heart.

I'm not being an apologist for India or failed social policies in that country. But I do think that a more considered view might be merited in good time.

You do make great points and i do believe the poverty issue has been spoken about alot but from what i hear from people that have travelled to India, they say it's a lovely country but you can't ignore the poverty and slums and kids going up to car windows begging for money. As for SEA never hosting a games i understand about monsoons and that but Singapore YOG were definitely successful. I can see Dubai hosting a games but then the IOC will be hypocrites for saying no to Doha (partially) for their climate issue when Dubai is about the same

I thought that , at least in terms of sports, Georgia & Azerbaijan were european?

(Don't bring a map into this, i know where these countries are located thank you)

The two of them & Armenia are mostly in european federations ( Swimming, football, Volley-Ball, Basket & Atheltics) and are tyring very hard to participate in european events like eurovision & stuff like that.

I feel the three caucasian states wants to be seen as europeans politically and sportively.

So i don't say they wouldn't be new frontiers or good host, just wondering if Baku for example would be really an asian games.

I thought that , at least in terms of sports, Georgia & Azerbaijan were european?

(Don't bring a map into this, i know where these countries are located thank you)

The two of them & Armenia are mostly in european federations ( Swimming, football, Volley-Ball, Basket & Atheltics) and are tyring very hard to participate in european events like eurovision & stuff like that.

I feel the three caucasian states wants to be seen as europeans politically and sportively.

So i don't say they wouldn't be new frontiers or good host, just wondering if Baku for example would be really an asian games.

Well Baku, Azerbaijan did just host EUROvision. So i guess your right in some ways but i guess it is like Turkey? They are in Eurovision aswell but some see it asian.

Well that's the thing.

In terms of Geography most of Russia & Turkey are in Asia & Armenia, Georgia & Azerbaijan are in Asia.

Because of their way of living, of their history and many things they choose to define themselves as fully european.

Of course it leads people to argue it isn't true, especially when questions about european union and politics come on the table.

I personnaly think that if they feel they are europeans, then they should be and many people seem to think the same as they are allowed to enter almost all the non political events and organisations of Europe.

Regarding Asia, I think that, after Tokyo, the Games will go back to China. China has become so huge and powerful that it would make sense to have the Games again there in the late thirties, for instance in Shanghai.

KL, Bangkok, Manila, Singapore, Djakarta, HKG will NEVER host in the future because unless there is a radical shift of the earth's poles, the July-Aug-Sept time period for this Southeast Asian region is monsoon/typhoon/hurricane season...the way it is for Florida and Miami. Manila alone, was slammed by I believe 3 successive typhoons while the Games were going on in London. They are in the "typhoon" belt. That's why even the SEA Games are held in December. So time and location do NOT favor the Southeast Asian region.

i cant see anything wrong for Malaysia cities or singapore to be the host..even most big games such as SUKMA(national games of malaysia were held on july,sea games 2001 were held on september,commonwealth games 1998 were held on september and recently youth olympic games 2012 were held on august :)..people worldwide maybe assume monsoon in SEA as a threat or a typhoon or as a tsunami,hurricane etc but believe me,monsoon in malaysia and singapore is nothing than just a typical rain..not all area on SEA will be stricken with big waves,tsunami etc,only small part that facing directly to ocean will recieve the hit..moreover,since 2003 after they build smart tunnel at kl,it hard to see any flood situation from heavy rain:)..i still believe kl can still be hosting olympic games someday!:)and you need to be alert that malaysia and singapore geography position are protected from big monsoon by indonesian island because both are not direct to the open sea :)

Singapore does NOT have the critical mass to stage a SOGs. What other cities can stage the footies? THere is a reason those are given to far-flung cities.

HKG is too dense, crowded and over-built. It is like Sao Paulo. Unless you dredge up a few square miles of land, there is NO ROOM to create the popular venues in central locations where subways, trains, buses can easily deposit and pick up thousands of attendees. HKG is also DREADFUL in the summer. I don't know why u keep thinking it is a viable city. It is NOT. Besides, the Beijing gov't will always favor Shanghai over HK.

Kai Tak Airport has not been redeveloped since Hong Kong International Airport was built. It is just a vacant area in the middle of Hong Kong ripe for redevelopment and they are already talking of built a major multi-purpose stadium there.

Alternatively they could partner with Guangdong to share some of the soccer venues.

Archived