Tulsa 2024

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why are you filling to discussion boards with SPAM?

I wouldnt really call this spam i mean if i did 3-10 threads it'd be spam. 1 not so much, and some people are actually taking this seriously so they can go right ahead and express why Tulsa was host just cause i did it as a joke doesn't mean it can't be a serious thread.

You posted a games bids link

I'll will try not to use big words because clearly you suffer from intellectual challenges.

When .. looking .. at ... a .. winter .. bid .. you .. need ...to .. think .. if .. the .. city .. has ... snow .. and .. big hills .. known .. as .. moun-tains.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND?

I never said Burlington doesn't have snow or mountains. Just because I posted a games bids link has nothing to do with there snow or mountains. Again I think your the one suffering from things. You create an argument with nearly everyone, everywhere. You then attack the person calling them an idiot moron etc and can't hold an argument. Everyone now in reply has to call you stupid. Burlington has expressed NO interest you can go discuss it on the thread but stop dragging it everywhere its not going to happen

This is just a stupid comment with no basis in any semblance of reality which simply dumbs down this forums

..says the guy who posted an extremely hypothetical venue plan for Burlington and thinks that has more substance than the ACTUAL interest in a bid from the city of Tulsa, frivolous as it may be for them to think they can win. Clearly this thread is a joke (and pretty much a jab at you for starting so many threads) and I guess you don't appreciate the humor since any bid discussion that doesn't involve an actual bid plan, irregardless of whether or not there is any interest from that city whatsoever, is pointless. I'll say it 1 more time.. it takes a lot more than a venue plan for an Olympic to come to fruition, so those of us who chose to deal in reality rather than fantasy, that's what Burlington is

• 10 months later...

I know this is fast becoming one of the longest on-going in-jokes here on GBids, but the media's still giving them attention and, hey, loved the pic (though i don't know its relevance - it's not even captioned)!

Unlikely city plans astonishing Olympic Games bid

Tulsa_oklahoma_01071394.jpg

The list of cities in the running for hosting each Olympic Games is usually pretty predictable. After all, there are not that many places in the world that have the resources, money and infrastructure to hold such a vast event.

But there is a city that is hoping to be successful with a hugely ambitious and surprising potential bid for the 2024 Games.

Yes, you guessed it - Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Not the big-hitting American rivals like Los Angeles, Boston and Dallas. No, Tulsa. Oklahoma.

If you thought this was only a half-baked idea then you would be doing the man behind the idea a grave disservice, because he appears to have thought of everything. That is, with the exception of how to cater for the water polo.

Neil Mavis is the fellow in question, who is well beyond just envisaging and dreaming of how Tulsa is going to host the world for the greatest sporting festival of them all.

The United States have not held the Olympic Games since Atlanta suffered enormous losses with the controversial staging of the 1996 edition, but Mavis is undeterred by any negativity that surrounds his project.

It may be an unassuming place, but Mavis can imagine kayaks and canoes gliding serenely along the Arkansas River and runners taking in the sights of the famous Route 66.

"The larger cities aren’t truly representative of what the real America is," said Jennifer Jones of the Tulsa 2024 bid committee. "The real America is the midsize cities, and we want people to see America."

Mavis admits that Tulsa has an outdated reputation as being a flyover state of tumbleweed and dust, of oil, wheat and cattle - but not international sporting events. He is determined to see that change, however.

"We have all the resources," he told the New York Times. "We just need the spark. Some people think I’m the village idiot - but we’re going to stay in the race. There’s no reason to give up."

Tulsa would aim to hold them before July, when the temperature can reach incredible highs, and after the spring, when tornado season peaks. The Games have not been held that early in the year since 1924.

There remains just one problem, though, according to Mavis. "We don’t have an answer yet for water polo," he said. "But one thing we do have is plenty of land out here in Oklahoma."

Yahoo sports

Wow, it's like this guy is asking not to be taken seriously. Here's the only problem I have with this article.. Tulsa can plan whatever they want, but there could come a point (and I think we all know it will happen) that the USOC will tell Mavis that they're not interested in Tulsa. Personally I can't wait for that day as it will be cause for celebration here on GB. It will likely become a GamesBids holiday.. the anniversary of the day the USOC officially told Tulsa to piss off!

Mavis: "some people think I'm the village idiot". Ya think! :lol:

And wow, this Jennifer Jones bimbo just offended a LARGE portion of the "American" population! - "the larger cities aren't truly representative of what the 'real America' is. The 'real America' is the midsize cities, & we want people to see America".

Mavis, better get that other village idiot off your idiotic quest, if you don't want to look even more fooilsh than you people over there in the "real America" already are! :P

Wow, it's like this guy is asking not to be taken seriously. Here's the only problem I have with this article.. Tulsa can plan whatever they want, but there could come a point (and I think we all know it will happen) that the USOC will tell Mavis that they're not interested in Tulsa. Personally I can't wait for that day as it will be cause for celebration here on GB. It will likely become a GamesBids holiday.. the anniversary of the day the USOC officially told Tulsa to piss off!

I can't wait either! Then I wanna see what those buffons over there will say afterwards. :lol:

I just noticed this line as well:

The United States have not held the Olympic Games since Atlanta suffered enormous losses

Now, we all know there were issues with Atlanta (which we thrash through regularly), but i didn't think making a huge loss was one of them.

That's right. I noticed that too & was gonna say where in the world they got that information from. If anything, the City of Atlanta broke even. And even if that were the case, Tulsa keeps making a point of comparing themselves to Atlanta, & therefore where they reason that they have a chance at this. So why would Tulsa want to 'suffer enormous losses', as well. Doesn't make any sense. But then again, this whole Tulsa nonsense is just outta this world anyway.

Archived