Berlin 2036?

msp2032

I think that Rio's cluster organization didn't matter as much as its powerful message of "What is wrong with this map?".

Well, that's precisely the point. Rio (along with Seoul, Sarajevo, Sochi, Beijing, PyeongChang, etc) had compelling arguments to try & win their cases. And many of their challenges were overlooked precisely bcuz of their compelling points. While I"m not saying that Frankfurt automatically falls into this category, I do however see some good potential. Just like some of you do with Hamburg.

I see Germany's case much like the U.S.' Some people say that NYC is the only choice, but others (including myself) believe that there R at least a couple of other credible options that could come into play. If Frankfurt were interested, I would definitely be interested in taking a look at what they had to offer. Just like I would Berlin N Hamburg as well.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, that's precisely the point. Rio (along with Seoul, Sarajevo, Sochi, Beijing, PyeongChang, etc) had compelling arguments to try & win their cases. And many of their challenges were overlooked precisely bcuz of their compelling points. While I"m not saying that Frankfurt automatically falls into this category, I do however see some good potential. Just like some of you do with Hamburg.

I see Germany's case much like the U.S.' Some people say that NYC is the only choice, but others (including myself) believe that there R at least a couple of other credible options that could come into play. If Frankfurt were interested, I would definitely be interested in taking a look at what they had to offer. Just like I would Berlin N Hamburg as well.

The thing with Hamburg is that it does have the reputation of being the sporting capital of Germany, as no other German city has more first division teams in sports leagues or as many international events.

Historically, Hamburg was Germany's window to the World, as well as being a member of the Hanseatic League as well as being a major tourist destination. Musically it has links from Brahms to the Beatles.

Having been to both cities, I definitely think Hamburg is the stronger than Frankfurt but they are a complete contrast.

There was a poll among tourism managers in Germany:

- 87% agree that Germany should bid for Olympics/Paralympics

- 85% agree that Germany should bid for Summer Games

- 65% agree that Germany should bid another time for Winter Games

- the percentages stand for the persons, who think that the following cities could bid successfully for Summer Games: Berlin (45%), Hamburg (24%), Munich (20%), Frankfurt (6%), Cologne (4%) and Düsseldorf (3%)

- Winter Games: Munich (65%)

- 88% think that London 2012 has a positive impact on the United Kingdom as tourist destination

- 87% think that the pictures of the Games in London made people think about to travel to England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland

- 81% think the economical/financial crisis shouldn't play a role for a German bid for Olympics/Paralympics

Die Welt: Umfrage - Holt die Olympischen Spiele nach Deutschland

• 1 month later...

Berlin or Hamburg could make 2024 Games bid - Bach

Oct 16 (Reuters) - The German cities of Berlin or Hamburg could launch a bid for the 2024 summer Olympics if conditions were right, Germany's Olympic chief Thomas Bach said on Tuesday.

Bach, who heads the German Olympic Sports Confederation (DOSB), told Reuters in an interview both cities had shown a keen interest in bidding for the Games in a country that last staged a summer Olympics in 1972 in Munich.

"The DOSB must evaluate the election for the 2020 Games host because we have a strong interest in a summer bid through Berlin and Hamburg. As soon as possible, that is interest for the summer 2024 Games."

Tokyo, Istanbul and Madrid are in the running for 2020 with a possible win for the Japanese capital increasing the chances for a European host four years later.

The United States, however, is also likely to bid for 2024, hoping to bring back the Games for the first time since Atlanta 1996.

The 2020 host will be elected next year, with campaigning for 2024 starting in 2015.

Berlin in 1936 and Munich are the two German cities to have hosted summer Olympics. Berlin unsuccessfully bid again for the 2000 Games while Leipzig was cut from the shortlist for the 2012 Olympics in Germany's most recent summer Olympics attempt.

The DOSB has to nominate one city from Germany should more than one decide to proceed with an Olympic bid.

Munich is considering a repeat candidacy for the 2022 winter Olympics after missing out on the 2018 Games to South Korea's Pyeongchang.

Any joint bid between Munich and Garmisch-Partenkirchen, like the one for 2018, would need wide public support, Bach said, after that bid was hampered by local opposition.

"Conditions for good chances (for Munich 2022) would be wide support from the local population," said Bach, who is also an International Olympic Committee (IOC) vice president.

"The second condition is that you have bi-partisan support, coupled with the appropriate financial pledges for the bid itself and for the Games."

Reuters

/\/\ That article conveniently overlooks the big wildbeeste in the china shop, South Africa. I think Berlin should NOT aim for 2036. It has too many negative connotations. And DOSB should decide soon, I guess when Durban decides to bid, whether they will go for a WOG or a SOG. And the Swiss better get their cantons together too pretty soon.

I'm sure we'll have the good sense not to apply for a year that coincides with several awful anniversaries in German history...I'm thinking 2028, 2032 or 2040...

Archived