Photos of Abandoned Olympic Sites Around the World

barrack

Fascinating Photos of Abandoned Olympic Sites Around the World

I came across this webpage that has some interesting, if not sad, photos of venues now abandoned. Some are the result of civil unrest, others are white elephants, and others yet are just plain old. There are of course other examples out there, probably from every host city. Please share any similar pics you have found or have even taken yourself.

I don't intend for this to pick on any one particular host city, but rather just appreciate how a once very active site can be forgotten.

Those Beijing pictures are sort of misleading it seems, at least the kayaking venue ones.The grass is clearly maintained and trimmed. It's just discolored because it's winter which also explains why there isn't any water running through the course / why the venue at large looks closed and abandoned.

I truely love kayaking at the olympics but you have got to admit it's a lot of contruction & money for somethings that will only be used a few days compared to a pool or a gymnastic center.

I truely love kayaking at the olympics but you have got to admit it's a lot of contruction & money for somethings that will only be used a few days compared to a pool or a gymnastic center.

Depends what use is made of it after. The Sydney kayak course was one of the surprise successes post-games, and has proved popular and well used.

Depends what use is made of it after. The Sydney kayak course was one of the surprise successes post-games, and has proved popular and well used.

It's most popular use is for whitewater rafting as a group activity, especially in sydney where any natural river to do this is at least several hours drive it has proved quite successful indeed.

If you figure 20+ venues per Olympics, with 50+ Olympics held, that's not a bad list. You got a few actual duds from Beijing and Athens, there's Sarajevo where it's remarkable anything is standing, some old stuff (anyone expect an 50+ year old outdoor pool in Finland to be in good shape), and the curious inclusion of the Grand Olympic Auditorium in LA. Not only does the GOA have one of the best post games lifespans of any venue, but it's not even abandoned.

I am surprised at the Beijing Beach Volleyball venue as i thought it was just a temporary venue. Have tried to look at it on Google maps but guessing it hasn’t been updated since early 2008 as some of the venues are still a construction site.

Archived