New Zealand: What are the chances?

I can only see our three major cities hosting the YOSGs.

Auckland, very capable and can use nearby Hamilton for rowing and overflow events.

Wellington, youthful and vibrant, would need upgraded facilities and a new velodrome.

Christchurch, the 'new' city, centralised facilities all newbuilds and Chc is owed a major event since missing out on RWC11.

Winter Games...not that it's noticable could only ever be held in Queenstown, but would need major facilities built.

ThThe overall factor disadvantaging NZ is the 'reverse' seasons, but as a third tier event such as the minor Fifa WCs really wouldn't matter?

Depends who is in Government at the time of bidding. The current National Government running on a zero budget will not invest money into a bid or games. And anything after 2015 when the country will be back in surplus, is not a priority of John Key atm as he has stated with Super etc

Unless they go down the Atlanta route and secure private funding with no taxpayer input

The overall factor disadvantaging NZ is the 'reverse' seasons, but as a third tier event such as the minor Fifa WCs really wouldn't matter?

Yes, which is why I think the Youth Games is the only immediately achievable Olympic event NZ can really aim for. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Auckland host a senior games, but that's way, way, way into the future, if ever.

And the winters - I've spent something like six of the eight years I've been on GamesBids trying to champion the notion. You only have to look at some of the old threads - if anything I was probably a bit of a pesterer on the notion. But I've come, reluctantly, to accept it's highly unlikely to ever happen. And even the youth version might be a bit hard to accommodate in years it would have to try and avoid a scheduling clash with the FIFA WC, CWGs etc.

• 2 years later...

Sports NZ is doing a low level study into a possible hosting of the Summer version of the Youth Olympics in the 20s as a possible replacement for a failed Commonwealth Games bid...if that ever happens.

The only issue is that a Youth version would sit too uncomfortably close to the full Winter Olympics due to opposing seasons. 2026 was a potential date mentioned.

Sports NZ is doing a low level study into a possible hosting of the Summer version of the Youth Olympics in the 20s as a possible replacement for a failed Commonwealth Games bid...if that ever happens.

The only issue is that a Youth version would sit too uncomfortably close to the full Winter Olympics due to opposing seasons. 2026 was a potential date mentioned.

The Youth Olympics will be moved to odd years from 2023 onward.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

(5 Years later...) Though I'd prefer to see Auckland host the Senior Games like most people, Auckland undoubtedly can host a SYOG before 2050. NZICC would be the Media Hub/International Broadcasting Center, Mt Smart stadium could be redeveloped into the Athletics Stadium etc. A new Aquatics center and possibly a velodrome (Unless Cambridge is open to a joint bid) would be needed for the games. Otherwise, new Infrastructure is well and truly underway such as the redevelopment of Auckland International Airport and the City Rail Link. I would definitely want Auckland to be the first city in Oceania to host the SYOG. Christchurch has potential, but it still slowly recovering from the quakes. Lastly, Wellington... Yeah good luck with that.

Now in terms of the Winter Youth Games, Lakes Districts is the obvious choice. Population wise, Queenstown Lakes Districts has around 40,000 residents, which is comparable to a certain host city that hosted the Senior Winter Games in '94 and the Youth Winter Games in 2016 (With Lakes Districts having 10,000 more residents than Lillehammer). The Olympic Village would be located in/or near Frankton (Near Queenstown Airport). The International Broadcast center could be located in the new Convention Center in Christchurch with a minor one in Queenstown. Venues such as Ski Jumping and Sliding centers would need to be constructed, though these would be justified to be used in the annual NZ Winter Games post games. Satellite cities could host ice events such as Dunedin and Invercargill. It would be a picture-esk location for the WYOG however the main draw back is the scheduling conflicts with other international sport competitions. Overall, I think it can host it around 2050. If Lakes Districts started planing and upgrading current infrastructures like airports, roads, and venues, then it could be sooner. But knowing Queenstown residents, they wouldn't want these games.

(TL;DR, Auckland has 80-90% of the venues and has major infrastructure boost. Auckland definitely can host it before 2050. Lakes Districts has around 60-70% of the venues, new venues would be used in the NZ Winter Games. Lakes District could host around 2050, could be sooner if planing started now.)

So what are the chances? Probably a 65% chance of a SYOG before 2050 and a 40% chance of a WYOG before 2050.

However, we Kiwi's can only dream of an IOC sanctioned event in New Zealand...