L.A. Should Bid For A Future Games

GBModerator

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this a typo or the guy has everything wrong and really sayd "2026" ???

He said, "our commitment will be for Los Angeles, whenever it is appropriate, to submit a bid to host the Games. The first real opportunity will be 2026 and we will be working with the U.S. Olympic Committee (USOC) to do whatever they think is appropriate".

Well, it would be interesting, if LA and New York City wants to bid for 2024 and the USOC agrees to do it. Which city to choose from, hmm.

The qu

Well, it would be interesting, if LA and New York City wants to bid for 2024 and the USOC agrees to do it. Which city to choose from, hmm.

The question then becomes which do they think the IOC would be more interested in. Los Angeles for a 3rd time, or New York City for the first time?

The qu

The question then becomes which do they think the IOC would be more interested in. Los Angeles for a 3rd time, or New York City for the first time?

Good point. Since London has hosted 2012 for the THIRD time and it is the other Alpha+++ city (with New York City), it could be either of the two American cities, as mentioned by you. Tough decision, if you ask me.

If you read the article, you'll see the councilman is calling to identify the best time to bid, and a statement of interest. Further on, LA hints at a 2032 bid. Don't get too excited for 2024.

I would be very mixed on a third LA Games. I still remember 1984, they were my first Summer Games and they were the ones that made me fall in love with the Olympics. But life is short and the Games are rare so if I'm allowed to live another 30-40 years, I'd rather see the Games in other places. Although, that said, the LA stadium just has 'Olympic' written all over it (and not just in block letters). The peristyle is such a classic design element and it looked wonderful in photos from both 1932 and 1984.

I wouldn't have a problem with another L.A. Games. I was way too young to even remember 1984. Didn't even realize the true significance of the Olympics 'til Atlanta 1996.

How many of the old WWII people could probably remember London 1948. It was 52 years between the last 2 L.A. Games. By 2032, it'll be 48 years since the last L.A. Games in 1984. That would be sufficient enough time for a 3rd L.A. Games.

I was born later in 1984, so I have only lived to see the Atlanta Games. In saying that, I prefer another US city to host next. But if NYC, Chicago, San Fran and Boston didn't want to bid, I would support LA.

Here was their render for the Coliseum in their proposed 2016 bid:

coliseumrendering2.jpg

I like this concept better, but it was not part of the 2016 bid:

3309_630x440.jpg

Good point. Since London has hosted 2012 for the THIRD time and it is the other Alpha+++ city (with New York City), it could be either of the two American cities, as mentioned by you. Tough decision, if you ask me.

It's only a tough decision if NYC has a stadium, village and venue plan. Otherwise it has to be LA.

I was born later in 1984, so I have only lived to see the Atlanta Games. In saying that, I prefer another US city to host next. But if NYC, Chicago, San Fran and Boston didn't want to bid, I would support LA.

Here was their render for the Coliseum in their proposed 2016 bid:

coliseumrendering2.jpg

I like this concept better, but it was not part of the 2016 bid:

3309_630x440.jpg

I agree, Soaring. The second image above is definitely superior.

If Tokyo wins 2020, and Paris 2024, that puts LA at a bigger disadvantage IMO.

The IOC is not going to want so many repeat hosts near each other when there quite a few notable cities like Madrid, Istanbul, NYC, Cape Town/Durban/Johannesburg, Shanghai, Toronto, Buenos Aires, Hong Kong, San Francisco, etc. who have never hosted and could possibly throw together a bid in the next 10-20 years.

Let's not forget repeaters Rome and Berlin down the road as potential hosts too that would make it harder for another repeater should they bid and win.

Honolulu is a cool location, but hardly ready to put together a bid, nonetheless actually capable of hosting. Miami would be a better option than Honolulu.

I think if we look at the USOC candidate, then we have to think

1) Who can host it in terms of facilities?

2) What political red tape would need to be cut?

3) Local public support

NY2012 and SF2016 had major stadium questions and I think those questions would still exist. The same goes for Chicago.

Public support for the LA2016 bid was over 85% which no other city could match.

LA has:

A 93,000 seat main stadium ... even if it was updated for American Football only, a temporary deck athletics track would still provided the USOC requirement for 80,000 seats

A multitude of indoor areas including the Staples Center, the Honda Center, The Forum (now owned by MSG), Galen Center, Pauley Pavilion, the Walter Pyramid in Long Beach, and the Long Beach Sports Arenas

The LA Coliseum Commission are discussing demolishing the Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena which could be replaced by a world class velodrome on the site, as well as having the nearby Acquatics Center updated and maybe roofed

There are also outdoor stadiums like the Rose Bowl, Dodger Stadium, Angel Stadium and Home Depot Center which can be used for football and sports like hockey.

In 2015 LA is hosting the Special Olympics World Summer Games with 7,000 athletes competing so it could be a possible test run for a 2024 or 2028 games bid.

The above points are exactly the reason that LA should not be discounted.

The big question that Blacksheep does not address in the above post is THE STORY. I believe LA can come up with a compelling story, but they must work at it. They can't just put together a venue plan. They need to give the IOC an emotional reason to go back to LA.

I don't think 2024 is impossible for LA. Of course, the more time goes by, the more their chances will improve....

LA is certainly the strongest U.S. city when it comes to capability, experience and public support, but the IOC is not interested in existing venues. They are moved by sentimental factors and legacy.

Any future U.S. bid needs to be strong in that area, but also still needs to have a solid venue plan. Chicago 2016 had a very solid venue plan, but it was lacking in legacy and sentiment. As far as I can tell, LA will have the same issue unless they really think outside of the box. There is also the been there, done that factor. It is and will continue to be their biggest challenge.

It's been another glorious summer in California, every summer is. Seems like recent and future hosts had and will have uncomfortable or inconvenient weather. LA is near perfect summer conditions consistently, San Diego is even more ideal. It's nice here all the time.

NY2012 and SF2016 had major stadium questions and I think those questions would still exist. The same goes for Chicago.

Uh, are you implying that there were "major stadium questions" for Chicago? Please enlighten me as to what those questions were?

Chicago 2016's temporary stadium was planed to cost less than $400 million. It was also on public land, and would not need any demo or clean up work required before being built.

The final plans had it reduced down to a 5,000 seat amphitheater. The U of C campus was right next door, and would provide warm up facilities as well.

This plan was far from ideal in terms of legacy and uniqueness, but it was a solid plan. There were not "major stadium questions" with regards to this plan either.

Archived