• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This seems to be going round in circles somewhat. REGARDLESS of what past cities have or have not done, the fact that Cape Town has a huge new stadium which is very much underused from the 2010 World

Africa is not ready to host the Olympics Games not for another 25 more years still go allot of work to do even in South Africa to get ready it's times more then Sporting Stadia to host the games it al

I don;t think it will. Does the Toronto mall shooting or Denver theatre shooting affect potential bids from those cities? I doubt it.

I hope that a city in South Africa makes a bid. It would a geat to see the Olympics in Africa. Its Africa turn, like Brazil Prez said " what is wrong with this map?"

I think the problem South Africa has is the best prepared city Durban is also their 3rd city, and the IOC hate considering these.

Cape Town would be the most iconic but lacks a stadium - ironically if they'd built the Moses Mabhida stadium in CapeTown they'd be a shoo in but at the moment have an underused 64,000 seat stadium

Johannesburg might be able to host but suffers from being at altitude. They do have an Athletics stadium of 37,000 seats which could be expanded though.

Personally I think South Africa should make a prepatory bid for 2024 with the main focus of it being a trial run for an all out bid for 2028

I think the problem South Africa has is the best prepared city Durban is also their 3rd city, and the IOC hate considering these.

Personally I think South Africa should make a prepatory bid for 2024 with the main focus of it being a trial run for an all out bid for 2028

How does this logic work? If the problem is the best city is third tier, well, a trial bid is not going to change that.

As i have asked others, third in international rep? economically and population wise there is very little to separate the two cities. I think this is a view given by people in here for a large US type situation. But in SA its falls by the way side for a bid discussion

Africa is not ready to host the Olympics Games not for another 25 more years still go allot of work to do even in South Africa to get ready it's times more then Sporting Stadia to host the games it also take infrastructure to support the Olympics Games like Roads, Transport System, Airports etc and Hotel rooms the Government made it clear that it want to work on domestic issues then to spend billions of dollars on a sporting event Africa and South Africa has got bigger fish to fry then the Olympics Games if they host the Commonwealth Games in the 2020s then they could be hosting the Olympics Games by 2040s but they will need to host the Commonwealth Games to build up the resume for the Olympics Games AFRICA IS NOT READY even the Head of the African Olympic Committee said that so stop living in a dreamland it is not going to happen in 2024 an African Olympics not for another 25 years the 1st Olympics Games that Africa will host I can see it will be in 2040 in Cape Town South Africa.

• Like 1

"Africa is not ready" only to the ones that fear them bcuz they could "block" a bid from their respective countries. Jacques Rogge, president of the IOC, almost begged them to bid for 2020. N Sebastian Coe, head of London 2012, gave an informal endorsement. So surely they must have some confidence in them if that's the case.

34 miners killed by the Police in SA !!!

http://media.brisban...ce-3564966.html

Will it impact a bid ? How could that impact the perceptionof the country by IOC members ?

I don;t think it will. Does the Toronto mall shooting or Denver theatre shooting affect potential bids from those cities? I doubt it.

• Like 1

I am so over SA hosting everything just because of the African card.

Rio de Janeiro is an achievement for a whole continent who has really improved for the last 50 years.

South Africa is a great country in a mostly terrible continent & is only an excuse to have a feel good sentiment in the sports organizations about Africa.

It's just like Dubai & Qatar.

They want to say they have been to Africa & Middle East are overusing the only "rich countries " in the regions to do so.

I just wish some others countries tries their shot at this. I really think Morroco or Egypt could organize a wolrd cup.

• Like 1

I will repeat this for the 1000th time... South Africa will have a better chance in 2028, after they gain more experience in a multi-sports event and after one umsiccesful bid, just like Rio did, they where the new frontier but they tried a lot of times and organized wonderful Pan Am games, only after that they won a bid.

• Like 1

I will repeat this for the 1000th time... South Africa will have a better chance in 2028, after they gain more experience in a multi-sports event and after one umsiccesful bid, just like Rio did, they where the new frontier but they tried a lot of times and organized wonderful Pan Am games, only after that they won a bid.

Agreed!

Well they there was the Cape Town 2004 bid, so there's the one "umsiccesful" bid, and then the country hosted a successful World Cup. So why wait till 2028 if they do SASCOC approves a 2024 bid, which may be their only chance to bid.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rBEjGUk2qTU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rBEjGUk2qTU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

sorry no idea how to put a youtube shot in here

Well they there was the Cape Town 2004 bid, so there's the one "umsiccesful" bid, and then the country hosted a successful World Cup. So why wait till 2028 if they do SASCOC approves a 2024 bid, which may be their only chance to bid.

I don't know what is the best time for South Africa to bid, but I don't see any reason why 2024 would be their last chance. ANY time South Africa bids geopolitics will favor them simply because they'll be hosting the first African Games. It's just a question of when the country feels ready for the honor/burden of hosting. Maybe that's 2024, maybe not. Either way South Africa will have many more opportunities.

• Like 1

Since then, they've held the FIFA2010 World Cup and built a 68,000 seat stadium which cannot fit an athletics track which means they'll struggle with main stadium requirement

Oh, you mean just like Sydney, Athens, Beijing and London struggled with the main stadium requirement? They'll build it.

Sydney prior to the Summer Olympics had the Sydney Football Ground (45k) and the Sydney Cricket Ground (38K). There was a need for a major stadium and tenants to fill it.

Yup tenants were lined up - that's why they had to sell it for 10c on the dollar. :unsure:

Athens already had a 70,000 seat Olympic Stadium - the problem they had was in adding the roof

Yup, and now it is largely abandoned :unsure:

Beijing never had a problem. They had billions to spend across their games. The only thing they changed was the retractable roof option because of architectural design issues

Yup, and now it is largely abandoned :unsure:

London have not really had a stadium issue - there are tenants waiting to use the stadium and the argument has been about post games use issues.

...yet the arguments still continue :unsure:

What use will Cape Town have for a 2nd White Elephant? Only if the Stormers can be persuaded to sell Newlands for development and move into the Cape Town Stadium will it work, but they've already twice turned this option down.

1) Cape Town will probably not be the SA bid city, it is more likely to be Durban

2) However, if Cape Town got the nod to bid, they would either built a new stadium for UCT, or a replacement for GreenPoint stadium, both of which would be scaled back to about 40,000 seats after the games. It's a non-issue, and won't be a white elephant.

CapeTown which isn't even the biggest South African City

Oh, you mean like the 2016 host, Rio, isn't even the biggest city in Brazil? :unsure:

1. They needed to sell it on the cheap. Sydney did not have an 80,000 seat stadium. It has held the 2003 RWC Final, the National Rugby League Grand Final, the State of Origin games, The Sydney Thunder Twenty/20 team, the CanterburyBankstown Bulldogs, the South Sydney Rabitohs, of Rugby League, the Sydney Swans and GWS Giants of the AFL and the Warratahs of Super Rugby .... that is SIX clubs in different sports

In other words, a total white elephant boondoggle.

2. Athens Olympic Stadium largely abandoned?

Okay, fair point - a huge stadium drawing crowds of around 10 to 20,000. Definite success! :unsure:

3. Is South Africa as rich as China? China can afford the Beijing Stadium and have it sit abandoned

So, a white elephant for Beijing? Why is Beijing allowed a white elephant, but SA not? As far as money goes, South African economy is larger than Greece, and more sound than the current UK economy, as well as current bidders Turkey and Spain.

4. As for London, there are no arguments - there is a bidding process with 4 bids being considered

And yet, with the games drawing to a close, their is still no tenant.

5. UCT, what the university? This is not America, Universities do not need 40,000 seat stadiums in the rest of the world. And sorry to rain on your parade, but the Green Point Stadium was demolished in 2007 and replaced ..... by the Cape Town Stadium when it was decided there was no need for even an 18,000 seat athletics stadium

Uh, clearly you have never been to a university athletics even in South Africa? or a university Rugby event?

Cape Town Stadium is a football stadium. Green Point was an athletics stadium. The city needs a new athletics stadium. And yes, unlike Athens, South Africa will build a usable sized stadium.

6. Rio was capital of Brazil for close to 100years. The Olympic Stadium, already has a tenant in Botafago. The Maracana is always a neutral venue and used for large crowd games by Flamengo, Vasco, Fluminese and Botafago.

And Cape Town IS a CURRENT capital of South Africa, and has been since unification in 1910.

1. In others a white elephant drawing in substantial revenue so not a white elephant

Huh? Let's take your logic and apply it to a car. You buy a Rolls Royce for a $1 million. You drive the queen in it once. You try and sell it, and eventually someone buys it for $20,000 to use as a taxi. They use it as a taxi, and make money off it as a taxi. How is that not a white elephant, seeing as a cheap Ford could have done the same thing?

3. Its not a case of allowed, its a case of afford. Beijing was originally going to be the new home for Beijing Gujon who decided not to move. South Africa has massive social issues and do you think spending $800m on an underused stadium the best use of their money?

Beijing has massive social issues. They could have spent their money on better uses. The UK has massive social issues, they could have spent their money on better uses. Athens has massive social uses and could have spent money on better uses. South Africa has massive social issues, but is in better shape economically than the UK or Greece. So, why should SA suddenly be held to a different standard than the rest of the world?

4. Again - it is only because LOCOG changed their requirements for the tenants. There are tenants queuing up to move in.

My point remains. There is still no tenant. This is an undeniable fact, no matter how you spin it.

5. It is SO important that they've not replaced it, nor have any current plans to replace Green Point. Clearly No1 on their list of priorities

What's your point? Would the stadium have been built in East London without the Olympics? No, it wouldn't. A 2024 Games in SA is 12 years away. So why is the fact that they aren't falling over themselves to built a stadium NOW such an issue?

This seems to be going round in circles somewhat.

REGARDLESS of what past cities have or have not done, the fact that Cape Town has a huge new stadium which is very much underused from the 2010 World Cup is worthy of discussion. I can't see the stadium, what it represents, its current under-use, lessons that can be garnered from it etc. not being discussed by a Cape Town bid team, so I don't see why it shouldn't be discussed by us too.

• Like 2

This seems to be going round in circles somewhat.

REGARDLESS of what past cities have or have not done, the fact that Cape Town has a huge new stadium which is very much underused from the 2010 World Cup is worthy of discussion. I can't see the stadium, what it represents, its current under-use, lessons that can be garnered from it etc. not being discussed by a Cape Town bid team, so I don't see why it shouldn't be discussed by us too.

But the discussion is not about the soccer stadium, it is about whether or not Cape Town can utilise an athletics stadium. Two different subjects.