Burlington 2026

Blacksheep

Are there different rules for US bids?

And how many temporary/downsized arenas did Vancouver have? You're gonna put Munich up against Burlington and you expect Burlington to win that one? Salt Lake has a metro population of well over a million. Burlington is just over 200,000. So where Salt Lake had a need an use for some of those venues, how's that going to work in Burlington? Again, it's about going up against the competition. You're seriously going to take Burlington over Denver or Reno/Tahoe or maybe even Salt Lake? If those others drop out (and as we know, they've all expressed their interest in the Olympics, something Burlington has not done), and all that's left is Burlington, does that strike you as a Winter Olympic host? It's a little different downsizing 1 or 2 venues than building arenas larger than necessary and downsizing virtually all of them post-Games. It simply doesn't make as much sense as you seem to think it does.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Except you fail to mention that the Winter Resorts of Vermont - Killington and Stowe - are the largest in the East so clearly if there is going to be a realistic bid from the East USA, Burlington would likely be a strong candidate

Now. Name one successful Olympic bid where the recongised 3rd city in that country has won or a city ranked Gamma

2016 Rio - 2nd city after Sao Paolo and former capital - Beta

2012 London - capital and largest city - Alpha+

2008 Beijing - capital and largest city - Alpha+

2004 Athens - capital and largest city - Beta

2000 Sydney - largest city - Alpha

1996 Atlanta - Alpha

1992 Barcelona - second city - Alpha

1988 Seoul - largest city and capital - Alpha

1984 Los Angeles - second city - Alpha

1980 Moscow - largest city and capital - Alpha

1976 Montreal - second largest city - Beta

How well did the likes of Seville, Manchester etc do?

and now smugly draw comparisons with Brisbane

I have been taught by other forumers that those ranks do not matter. Why? Frankfurt an alpha city ahead of Berlin and Munich???lol Milan ahead of Rome. New Delhi is an alpha city but no chance they could host a games! Santiago, dublin, Mumbai as well.

Brisbane is in the same category as Rio, Calgary, Helsinki, Osaka all world class cities. Not saying brisbane is as good as rio just saying if your discussing categories. At least Brisbane has expressed interest in hosting.

And only Brisbane is interested in Brisbane hosting.

No 3rd city in a country has ever held the Summer Olympics

I guess it'll be a good change for Brisbane then :)

I must have missed when Durban or Cape Town held the Olympics

and I really missed when South Africa hosted for the first time

Um the fact that everyone wants them to host a games 2024, 2028 or 2032...

I was wondering why he conveniently stopped at Montreal. Munich is 3rd biggest city.

The US is always an exception with a population of 303 million

Atlanta is the 10th largest metropolitan area in the USA

Australia has a population of 23 million. Which 3rd cities in countries of this sized population would host the games?

Oh my mistake America gets an exception. Pathetic really and arrogant.

No. Its just that you are full of BS, have been proven wrong and found out

I have not been proven wrong. Killington and Stowe are not the two largest ski resorts in the East

(Side note... any outsider want to place the under on how many times he denies this. Given the number of posts he made insisting you could run Olympic traffic across Lake Champlain, I'm thinking he could post a lot.

Fine, then I'll post some evidence...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_New_England_ski_areas_by_vertical_drop

Killington is #1, Stowe is #4 based on number of trails and lifts. However, looking at the page for Sugarloaf.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugarloaf_%28ski_resort%29

"It is the largest ski resort east of the Mississippi, in terms of number of trails (146), skiable acreage (1,400 acres/570 ha), and snowmaking percentage (95%)"

Wikipedia not always being the most reliable source, don't know which of those 2 to believe. Based on vertical drop, Killington is ahead of Sugarloaf and both are well ahead of Stowe

Darcy, Blacksheep is British. Not American.

You misread that Athensfan. He meant USA gets an exception to cities that have to be Beta or Alpha to host.

===

I agree Burlington might not be viable, but is discussing it when there is a low selection of discussions to do a bad thing?

I agree Burlington might not be viable, but is discussing it when there is a low selection of discussions to do a bad thing?

If it's not viable (and obviously that's open to interpretation), then why are we discussing it? And who's to say there's a low selection of discussions, particularly for U.S. Winter Games bids where there are 3 very real candidates out there. Either way, sure we can discuss it, but even if they were interested in the Olympics, they're still way down in the running and the plans that Blacksheep presented don't exactly lead me to believe it's worthwhile even to try. It takes more than a half decent venue plan to land an Olympics.

No - a FACT

USA population 303million

Australia population 23million

Notice the difference

This is completely pointless arguing i need self control to stop. Anytime anyone brings up a valid point you make some excuse such as "Oh America gets an exception". Or simply ignore the valid points and attack something else. Never been to Burlington, never heard of Burlington (why would i it's not even in the top 285 cities in America plus it is in the 3rd smallest state in the country) this does not mean they can't host a games. They could host a games. If they at least expressed some interest in bidding for 2026. I find it funny that you think a Brisbane discussion is stupid when at least we have shown interest but Burlington hasn't. Ok go write some long paragraph in reply.

Please engage your brain before commenting

Burlington is being offered as a WINTER Olympics candidate - the criteria here are 1) SNOW, 2) MOUNTAIN HEIGHT 3) BEING JUST BIG ENOUGH TO USE 4 OF THE 5 INDOOR ARENAS THAT WOULD NEED TO BE BUILT. You don't need to be a major global city to be a host

Brisbane are being consdiered as a SUMMER Olympics Candiate - here the criteria are totally different in that you need to be either a capital city or a global city.

Oh and number 6) would be SHOWING AN INTEREST IN BIDDING.

Nowhere does it say you have to be a capital city or global city. So because Accra is the capital of Ghana they can host the games ahead of Brisbane? No. You need to have a great city with venues. Atlanta wasn't extremely well known and was the underdog and still won. Brisbane is on the world city scale.

Please engage your brain before commenting

Burlington is being offered as a WINTER Olympics candidate - the criteria here are 1) SNOW, 2) MOUNTAIN HEIGHT 3) BEING JUST BIG ENOUGH TO USE 4 OF THE 5 INDOOR ARENAS THAT WOULD NEED TO BE BUILT. You don't need to be a major global city to be a host

Brisbane are being consdiered as a SUMMER Olympics Candiate - here the criteria are totally different in that you need to be either a capital city or a global city.

what do you mean by offered???

Archived