So they put it on the roof of the bridge where nobody will see it?

When I first got to Tower Bridge when I arrived in London for the games, the Olympic Rings were folded up too - I was disappointed because I wanted a pic with me and the bridge with the rings. But I think that was just done because they were opening up the road drawbridge - they went down as they are meant to once the road was opened again ... and I got my pic!

I haven't seen a single 'Olympic' banner, or sign anywhere.

I'm really impressed and a little surprised at how much dedication has been put into give the Paralympics the recognition it deserves.

Has there ever been a Paralympics which has had so much thought put into it.

I was told that when they designed the village, they designed it as a Paralympic Village first - make's changing after the Olympics so much easier.

I would say that Vancouver's OCOG was also keen on giving the Paralympics almost equal footing with the Olympic show. Much of their work was turned around quickly to reflect the Paralympic Games.

Now...what will they do for the London Paralympic Cauldron?

Now...what will they do for the London Paralympic Cauldron?

It's there. Already in place. They're not hiding it for a surprise since the whole world's already seen it. Even the cup-like petals are already in place. But it's NOT going to be as splayed out as it was at the regular O's.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Undressing started pretty early.

The day of the closing ceremony (Sunday 12), teams of workers were already removing all the stickers and Olympic emblems on the Wembley Stadium, while the gymnastics was ongoing at the Wembley Arena.

It's there. Already in place. They're not hiding it for a surprise since the whole world's already seen it. Even the cup-like petals are already in place. But it's NOT going to be as splayed out as it was at the regular O's.

That's a shame is that when it looked at it's best.

Unfortunately (and im putting my highly un-pc hat on here) the Paralympics seem like a chance for alot of people to get on their moral high-road high-horse , it's their opportunity to pretend that they actually give a toss.

The same people who moan that the Para's aren't given entirely equal treatment to the Olympics won't give a whoha the rest of the 4 year Olympic cycle about Paralympic.

That's why I really don't get those in NZ wanting round the clock Paralympic coverage.

Actually, I might be keen for that to happen so we get to see the poor ratings, coz a very small percentage of those complaining wouldn't be watching . But maybe Im just too cynical.

All in all, London has done a fantastic job by the looks of it of making sure it feels like London is now a Paralympic city, and ensuring the Para's done seem like some poor afterthought.

• Like 1

Of course I have no comparison to what it was like during the Olympics, but I absolutely did not have the impression in the city that the Paralympics get too little "exposure" on the banners, flags and other decorations. In fact, I was impressed by how many banners they must have replaced since the end of the Olympic Games. Once in a while, you could still see some banners with the Olympic Rings, but mostly they had the Paralympic Games' logo or the IPC "agitos". So moaners should actually have a very hard time in London. The kind of decoration absolutely doesn't feel as if the Paralympics are only playing second fiddle.

• 2 weeks later...

I happened to be at Newcastle on the day of the Paralympics opening ceremony and the Olympic rings were still on the Tyne bridge,

that’s fine, ripping them down because the Paralympics started is a bit fundamentalist,

they could have left the Olympic rings in station Pancras station up until the end of London 2012.

Also They had a Tidal powered water wheel on the Tyne powering an incredible kinetic musical instrument

As part of the cultural Olympiad,

And the river was lined with palm trees as weel as the look of the games.

I noticed last night when cycling home that the Olympic rings in the Games Lanes have all been wiped out or covered over now... there are still quite a few banners up though. I'd really like one of those to add to my Olympic collection but not entirely sure I can shimmy up a lamp-post unnoticed!

• Like 2

Are they going to be selling or auctioning off all banner, bunting and ceremonial the stuff? They did it for Sydney, but I regret I didn't pick up anything. I'd be tempted to do so if London offloads stuff.

There's still the odd thing that springs up here, even a dozen years on. The obvious is the marathon blue line - it's still there (hasn't yet been rubbed off by more than a decade of daily traffic) in parts of the route here. And I still spot the odd small sign at the top of poles etc (near where I work, there's still a sign for "accredited media" and a bus stop sign outside some serviced apartments that were used at the time.

Edited by Sir Rols

Are they going to be selling or auctioning off all banner, bunting and ceremonial the stuff? They did it for Sydney, but I regret I didn't pick up anything. I'd be tempted to do so if London offloads stuff.

Well in Stratford Station (Main station for Olympic Park) there are lots of 'Olympic Stadium -->' signs around. So on my last shift this week I asked a staff member if I could have one of them, since I'm a Games Maker. So he radioed his boss who said because they are TFL (Transport for London) they can't legally give away the banners as they don't have access to the 2012 logo ect... you get the idea.

However his boss said they would all be auctioned off - so I presume the lamppost banners are also. - Though some are already on eBay, I guess some people have ladders!

Weymouth Olympic rings move to Portland

_62989937_oympic_rings_statue_railway_station.jpg

The famous set of Olympic rings were previously on display outside Weymouth railway station

Weymouth's set of Olympic rings are being moved to a new location overlooking the National Sailing Academy on Portland.

The stone rings were on display during the Olympic sailing and windsurfing events outside Weymouth railway station.

Carved from Portland stone, the set will move to New Ground, Portland Heights from Thursday.

The rings were carved by local craftsmen at AS Quarries on Portland.

Councillor Mike Goodman, from Weymouth & Portland Borough Council, said: "It is really good news the iconic rings will be back on display overlooking the spot that many of our Olympic and Paralympic dreams came true.

"Portland played a huge role in delivering a successful Olympic Games and these rings will allow us to cherish the memories of hosting the sailing."

BBC

Olympic rings sculpture now has a permanent home

article_54d024a92563becb_1348179281_9j-4aaqsk.jpeg

A sculpture of the Olympic rings, carved to celebrate this summer's sailing events, has a new home overlooking Portland Harbour.

It had been in Weymouth for the games, greeting passengers at the town's railway station.

The Olympic rings sculpture is around two metres high. It now stands at the top of Portland overlooking the sailing venue, and will be a permanent reminder of the London 2012 sailing competition.

http://www.itv.com/n...permanent-home/

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

IOC tells Cardiff that it won't be able to keep Olympic rings

Last updated Mon 1 Oct 2012

Cardiff council has been told by the International Olympic Committee it won't be able to put the Olympic Rings back up in the capital as a permanent land mark.

The council had hoped they'd serve as a reminder of the role the city played during the games.

While we’re naturally pleased that Cardiff embraced the Games and the Olympic Rings, which were replaced by the Paralympic Agitos in the middle of August, our guidelines are that permanent sets of Olympic Rings are only allowed in the host city.

The only possible exception would be a request from a co-host city that hosted an entire competition schedule, for example a sailing venue that hosted all of the sailing events.

– Andrew Mitchell, International Olympic Committee

http://www.itv.com/n...-olympic-rings/

A stupid rule, actually. What makes Cardiff any less of an Olympic co-host city just because it hasn't staged the whole football tournament? It stresses again that the Olympic football tournament (at least the men's tournament) is very underrated in the world of sports.

A stupid rule, actually. What makes Cardiff any less of an Olympic co-host city just because it hasn't staged the whole football tournament? It stresses again that the Olympic football tournament (at least the men's tournament) is very underrated in the world of sports.

I agree. This is just petty and stupid.

Are a few banners still up?

When I was in London during the Paralympics, I also a banner once in a while with the Olympic version of the logo on it. That gave me hope that maybe they'd simply forget to take some banners down after the Paralympics as well. ;)

Here's one of those banners, which I spotted at Millbank near the Houses of Parliament:

28be42u.jpg